Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:59:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

5A 5A 5APE?

Started by falafel, November 29, 2020, 07:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's our theme (only vote if you're participating, check thread for details)?

Soundtrack a feature-length film (each participant gets a segment)
1 (4.3%)
Soundtrack a series / set of short films or cartoons (one per participant)
0 (0%)
Radio times listings
7 (30.4%)
Voynich Manuscript
1 (4.3%)
Garden of Earthly Delights
9 (39.1%)
COVID HAUNTOLOGY
5 (21.7%)
Derke: Music Inspired by TV's 'Derek'
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 23

the

Quote from: falafel on November 30, 2020, 09:56:32 PMAnother potential theme - pick a page from the Voynich Manuscript and do your worst with it. We could submit tracks alongside the page numbers...

Full scanned version of the book here:
https://brbl-dl.library.yale.edu/vufind/Record/3519597

Interesting but I'm not really sure how we can extract thematic meaning from something nobody can understand.

I think there is a danger, if the theme is too oblique, that people might just feel stuck and bamboozled for ages before getting anywhere. (And suddenly it's 2023)

Flouncer

I'm FUCKING DOWN FOR THIS, please sign me up.

Petey Pate

Quote from: falafel on November 30, 2020, 09:48:39 PM
13 names so far:

falafel
The Mollusk
BlodwynPig (or not???)
Non Stop Dancer
the
spaghetamine
PlanktonSideburns
Johnny Textface
NoSleep
Rich Uncle Skeleton
drummersaredeaf
Phil_A
Viero_Berlotti

Sign me up please.

NoSleep

There's really good jpg of Hieronmymus Bosch's Garden Of Earthly Delights on wiki that I could cut up into smaller scenes. Then each of us could pick one to use as a starting point.

NoSleep

Or pick another silent film and chop it up again? The Cabinet Of Dr Caligari, maybe. Or Nosferatu? Any suggestions?

Petey Pate

Quote from: NoSleep on December 01, 2020, 08:45:42 AM
Or pick another silent film and chop it up again? The Cabinet Of Dr Caligari, maybe. Or Nosferatu? Any suggestions?

We could each be assigned a short silent film from the same series (e.g. Chaplin, Keaton or even Felix the Cat cartoons) - which would save having to chop anything up, but there would still be a thematic link.

DJ Spooky already did a remix of Birth of a Nation (Rebirth of a Nation), so probably not that one. Plus its very racist.

the

Quote from: NoSleep on December 01, 2020, 08:45:42 AMOr pick another silent film and chop it up again?

Sorry to be a dissenting git, but I'd find the use of another dramatic old film to be too aesthetically and sensorily similar to last time. For a theme, can we have a bit of colour and perhaps a bit of modernity this time?

I'm aware that you're keen to keep it timeless and universal, but I'd respond better to a bit of contrast from #4. I'm sure there's a middleground.

FWIW I quite like the Garden Of Earthly Delights idea.

NoSleep

Quote from: the on December 01, 2020, 10:44:38 AM
FWIW I quite like the Garden Of Earthly Delights idea.

It was falafel's idea about the obscure text that brought that to mind, as I had been thinking of making a Ken Burns Effect film of it. There's so much going on in Garden Of Earthly Delights that could be individual paintings.

The wiki has lots of options for looking closely at it.

NoSleep

Derke: Music Inspired by TV's 'Derek'.

falafel

I love the Garden of Earthly Delights idea.

How about we give it another day for ideas then have a poll?

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: the on December 01, 2020, 10:44:38 AM
Sorry to be a dissenting git, but I'd find the use of another dramatic old film to be too aesthetically and sensorily similar to last time. For a theme, can we have a bit of colour and perhaps a bit of modernity this time?

I'm aware that you're keen to keep it timeless and universal, but I'd respond better to a bit of contrast from #4. I'm sure there's a middleground.

I'm with the on that. And whoever mentioned a possible covid theme

I also like garden of earthly delights but every time I open this thread I just get the XTC song stuck in my head, which is great

Petey Pate

Quote from: NoSleep on December 01, 2020, 12:02:21 PM
Like a lot of those old cartoons, too.

Indeed.  the has a good point regarding the similarities of the previous album, so I'd be happy with the Garden of Earthly Delights idea too.

Maybe if we're all still around in 2024 we could revisit Aelita for the film's 100th anniversary, though I suspect this project might not even be done by then...

NoSleep

Quote from: Petey Pate on December 01, 2020, 05:18:12 PMMaybe if we're all still around in 2024 we could revisit Aelita for the film's 100th anniversary, though I suspect this project might not even be done by then...

When I have the time (ever) I'll get the improved version of Aelita: The Music Video featuring edits and remixes of the HA HA TAPE 4 music. Once that's done, I might go back in and try to make more of a soundtrack to the film; a bit more minimal with various bits of the different tunes dotted about where they fit most aptly. Also, I've determined that the shorter version of the film doesn't miss much out, if anything. It's simply been made to a more modern idea of editing. There's loads of scenes that drag in the full version. So I'll probably use the shortened version for the final version (or make my own shortened version if I find anything went missing, I've not found anything so far). Maybe that new HD transfer of the film will be around to use by then.

Which reminds me: falafel has still to send me stems from his track. I think he sent me some stems at one point, but he was going to give me the piano parts separated and in full (definitely usable).

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: falafel on November 30, 2020, 09:56:32 PM
Another potential theme - pick a page from the Voynich Manuscript and do your worst with it. We could submit tracks alongside the page numbers...

Full scanned version of the book here:
https://brbl-dl.library.yale.edu/vufind/Record/3519597

Love it

falafel

Quote from: NoSleep on December 01, 2020, 05:35:54 PM

Which reminds me: falafel has still to send me stems from his track. I think he sent me some stems at one point, but he was going to give me the piano parts separated and in full (definitely usable).

Ah yes, indeed I do

I'll sort that this week

Johnny Textface

Seems an odd choice to willfully ignore a covid theme as we are living it... Although whether it inspires creativity or not is another thing..

falafel

Are you thinking a general covid concept (ie write something inspired by the pandemic) or something more specific?

the

Quote from: Johnny Textface on December 01, 2020, 06:30:21 PMSeems an odd choice to willfully ignore a covid theme as we are living it... Although whether it inspires creativity or not is another thing..

I'm sure it's going to be the album's elephant in the room, but it doesn't have to be its focal point.

NoSleep

Yeah, the album can't be anything other than of its time (so maybe more vaccine-then-recovery-themed at our speed).

PlanktonSideburns

Covid hauntology

DOYER REMEMBER COVID?!

WHAT WE'RE ALL THAT ABOUT!!!

falafel

Right, poll is up, deadline to add any last minute ideas is end of today and I suggest we get the theme sewn up by end of Sunday (allowing for any stragglers to appear)

If a plurality vote for the film or short films, we can go on to pick which one.

Oooh look at me being all domineering

Petey Pate

Quote from: falafel on December 02, 2020, 11:14:15 AMOooh look at me being all domineering

Hey, who elected falafel as boss of HAHA Tape?

I completely agree, we need to enforce deadlines pronto.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

cover the white album[nb]a semi serious suggestion for another time perhaps[/nb]

or Godley and Creme's Consequences

By Christmas.

Beagle 2

Quote from: the on November 30, 2020, 08:32:47 PM
Just pissing in the wind:

We could do the film thing again, but being an arsehole who doesn't really like films we could use something more pulpy and trivial like, er, The King Of Kong.

Or take a page of listings like this one I just randomly found, we each pick an item off it to base a song on (it could be completely abstract/tangential, just based on a word or concept in the paragraph).

Covered in piss now.

I like this idea the most, simply because I want to write a song called "The Cook Report" or "Scottish Women".

I'm in again.

greencalx

I'm in three minds. On the one hand this is something that could gainfully occupy my time while I'm trying to not get sucked into work when I'm on leave. On the other, there's a strong possibility I might lose momentum and not come up with the goods. On the third hand[nb]that's enough body parts[/nb], whatever I do is unlikely to be anywhere near the quality of the tracks on the first four albums.

Technical question - what format are the submissions presented in? If I do join in, I may be using rather bespoke noise generation techniques. I seem to recall talk of submitting separate tracks rather than a mixdown which would be good to know before it's too late.

I like the TV listings page as source material too. Something immediately jumped out at me so I have the germ of an idea.

NoSleep

Quote from: greencalx on December 03, 2020, 09:01:27 PM

Technical question - what format are the submissions presented in? If I do join in, I may be using rather bespoke noise generation techniques. I seem to recall talk of submitting separate tracks rather than a mixdown which would be good to know before it's too late.

If you like the mix you've created then a 24-bit WAV or AIFF file will do nicely. If you think your mixing is a wonky, then talk with me when you've finished and I will tell you what to send me so that I can finish it for you.

falafel

If I am disciplined I might try doing the main theme and then whatever is in second place as a challenge. If anyone wants to join me in that (and succeeds) then after a time limit they could be released as an EP. Maybe even before the main album as a taster. You usually get four or five that submit pretty quickly. Purely optional of course. Might never come to anything.

the

And it goes without saying that everyone is free to imbue their track(s) with as much or as little of the central theme(s) as they wish.

The theme is really meant as a springboard for ideas, as well as the vague notion of a glue that binds the album together.

greencalx

Quote from: NoSleep on December 03, 2020, 09:06:01 PM
If you like the mix you've created then a 24-bit WAV or AIFF file will do nicely. If you think your mixing is a wonky, then talk with me when you've finished and I will tell you what to send me so that I can finish it for you.

OK. I think I could manage that. What kind of timescale are we talking?