Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:44:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rowan Atkinson: Man VS Bee

Started by TheMonk, January 05, 2021, 11:02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C_Larence

For the piano scene do you think they couldn't get the rights to flight of the bumblebee?

Replies From View

I'll go one further:  they initially conceived of this show involving a wasp, as everyone hate wasps.  Then they thought of a piano scene with flight of the bumblebee and changed the wasp into a bee for it.

And then when it was too late to correct it back into a wasp, they changed their mind about using flight of the bumblebee for whatever reason LEAVING US WITH A BEE INSTEAD OF A WASP FOR NO REASON.

neveragain

Quote from: C_Larence on July 01, 2022, 02:59:20 AMFor the piano scene do you think they couldn't get the rights to flight of the bumblebee?

It's out of copyright, isn't it? Apparently the rule is 70 years after the death of a work's author and Wossname* died in 1908.

*Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov

Replies From View

Probably just changed their minds

idunnosomename

they'd need to source an out-of-copyright performance (which would likely sound like shit), licence a recording or make a new one though. it's not THAT hard to play if you have the technique tbh

Replies From View

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 01, 2022, 09:03:06 PMthey'd need to source an out-of-copyright performance (which would likely sound like shit), licence a recording or make a new one though. it's not THAT hard to play if you have the technique tbh

ok but you forget that Man vs Bee isn't very good.  most likely nobody involved with the production had any skills.

idunnosomename

i imagine the producer could find a suitable pianist... woah-ho! I can't tell THAT one!

Psybro

I thought this was fine but the dog shit bit threw it all off tonally  and it never recovered, you have a perfectly functional, less violent Mouse Hunt or live action Looney Tune that suddenly becomes an early 00s Seann William Scott vehicle for two scenes.

Replies From View

Quote from: Psybro on July 01, 2022, 11:20:22 PMa perfectly functional, less violent Mouse Hunt or live action Looney Tune that suddenly becomes an early 👀s Seann William Scott vehicle for two scenes.

Look out it is peeping at us!!

TheMonk

Thosworth

Quote from: Replies From View on July 01, 2022, 09:04:44 AMI'll go one further:  they initially conceived of this show involving a wasp, as everyone hate wasps.  Then they thought of a piano scene with flight of the bumblebee and changed the wasp into a bee for it.

And then when it was too late to correct it back into a wasp, they changed their mind about using flight of the bumblebee for whatever reason LEAVING US WITH A BEE INSTEAD OF A WASP FOR NO REASON.

Maybe the original title was Bean vs Bee

idunnosomename

Replies From View

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 04, 2022, 12:41:10 PM"Wasp" isnt funny like "bee"

More evidence that they stumbled upon bee by accident at the last hurdle.

Utter Shit

Finished this last night. Thought it was great fun, just let down a bit by the last couple of episodes feeling a bit rushed. Agreed that the family stuff felt tacked on, not just unnecessary but actively spoiling the tone a little bit in that it lent an air of bleakness to what should just be a supremely silly show.

Mr Trumpet

Thought I recognised the woman homeowner, looked her up after and it turns out we were at 6th Form College together.

Series was alright. Atkinson really shouldn't try to play sympathetic characters, it's not his forte at all.

Small Man Big Horse

I saw this in one of those tourist tat shops you get in Central London and was briefly horrified, I mean imagining having that by your kitchen window, constantly bobbing away in an awkward manner, never stopping until it gets dark each day.

frajer

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 05, 2022, 01:22:04 PM

I saw this in one of those tourist tat shops you get in Central London and was briefly horrified, I mean imagining having that by your kitchen window, constantly bobbing away in an awkward manner, never stopping until it gets dark each day.

If that's what he does in the daytime, just imagine what he gets up to after dark. Brr.

Replies From View

Tourist shops in England:

- the royal family
- London buses and taxis
- cardboard masks of politicians
- Mr Bean tat

Terry Torpid

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 05, 2022, 01:22:04 PMI saw this in one of those tourist tat shops you get in Central London and was briefly horrified, I mean imagining having that by your kitchen window, constantly bobbing away in an awkward manner, never stopping until it gets dark each day.

66.73 is a bit steep.

The Bumlord

Quote from: Replies From View on July 05, 2022, 03:25:21 PMTourist shops in England:

- the royal family
- London buses and taxis
- Mr Bean tat

Union Jack bongs

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Replies From View on July 05, 2022, 03:25:21 PMTourist shops in England:

- the royal family
- London buses and taxis
- Mr Bean tat

Harry Potter tat (plastic wands and the like).

idunnosomename

A man walks into a tourist tat shop and says do you sell wasps?

Yes says the owner £15 each

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I watched this last night, for want of anything better to do. This sort of thing can certainly be done well and there were hints of that in this (particularly the gags involving the dog) but it was just a bit too stupid for my liking. Even with the sympathetic backstory and a reference to him maybe having some sort of obsessive disorder I just wanted to grab Atkinson's character and slap him around the face. It's not like Tom and Jerry, where there is an active antagonism between the two. It's just a bee being a bee and a man violently overreacting to it.

Even with the man being rather unlikable, his ex-wife seemed needlessly horrible. Who gives someone a hard time for getting a job?

Spoiler alert
The contents may have been worthless, but the house was still real. Shouldn't he still be banged up for arson? Not to mention blowing up the dog.
[close]

Most importantly: who leaves a massive smear of peanut butter on the knife like that? Lick it off, like a polite person.

Uncle TechTip

They should have voiced the bee like in that hilarious movie Bee Story by Jerry Seinfeld. Maybe a sub plot about Mr Bean stealing all the world's honey.