Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:18:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doom metal

Started by Famous Mortimer, January 05, 2021, 05:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kngen

Quote from: Captain Crunch on January 06, 2021, 08:41:31 PM
Windhand
Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 13, 2021, 11:38:47 PM
Inter Arma

We're pretty spoiled here in Richmond, it has to be said.

Other bands from here worth checking out: Prisoner, Left Cross, BAT, Terminal Bliss (the last two aren't doom in the slightest, but still great and worth a listen).

easytarget

Terminal Bliss are fucken grind bro. I listened to that this week, pretty good!

Pink Gregory

Are people still talking about Pallbearer?

I think they were hotly tipped for a bit but I saw them supporting YOB and they bored the piss out of me.

That's the problem with a lot of doom, aesthetics over composition.

aaanyway https://youtu.be/YbkS7FKObPo

JaDanketies

Quote from: easytarget on January 16, 2021, 04:52:07 AM

listening now, not sure I'd pay $10 for a 10-minute album though

Everything Went Red by Diploid is worth the cash

actually since we're English listen to The Afternoon Gentlemen.

ok enough grindcore in a thread about the polar opposite to grindcore

edit: put on Inter Arma because I've heard lots of good things about them; their cover of Southern Man! omg. Not really doom though. Oh wow and there's Running Down a Dream later in the album. 

easytarget

New Gatecreeper EP (Unexpected Reality) is dead good, load of grindcore songs then a big fuck off doomy epic.

Doesn't stay doom all the way through there's grind and power metal (twin guitar Maiden riffs), probably more. It's a fucking belter.

Doom Metal is one of those things like Black Metal where I generally prefer it as an ingredient than delivered pure and uncut - Deafheaven and Wayfarer mix Black Metal into their music, some bands drop in some slo-oooo--ooo-ow doomy sections then get back on the fucken rock riffs, I like that.

"Hey Sunn 0))), how about a fucking chorus?"

king_tubby

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: easytarget on January 17, 2021, 04:23:48 AM
New Gatecreeper EP (Unexpected Reality) is dead good, load of grindcore songs then a big fuck off doomy epic.

Doesn't stay doom all the way through there's grind and power metal (twin guitar Maiden riffs), probably more. It's a fucking belter.

Doom Metal is one of those things like Black Metal where I generally prefer it as an ingredient than delivered pure and uncut - Deafheaven and Wayfarer mix Black Metal into their music, some bands drop in some slo-oooo--ooo-ow doomy sections then get back on the fucken rock riffs, I like that.

"Hey Sunn 0))), how about a fucking chorus?"

Type O Negative used it exactly like that, as an ingredient. The early verses of the excellent The Profit Of Doom have fabulous ponderous doomy riffs and drumming, and fantastic angry spoken vocals. Their debut album has some terrific doom moments too.

willbo

I went through a phase of being mad on Cathedral after loving one or two songs that were on Metal Hammer CDs, but their full albums never grabbed me as much as the ones on the magazine CDs. I love a bit of Windhand though. Candlemass have some funny videos.

Pink Gregory

Forest of Equilibrium is great, I don't even really have loads of time for the Eternal Mirror.  I'm really one and done with Cathedral, don't know why.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: willbo on January 17, 2021, 08:53:39 PM
I went through a phase of being mad on Cathedral after loving one or two songs that were on Metal Hammer CDs, but their full albums never grabbed me as much as the ones on the magazine CDs. I love a bit of Windhand though. Candlemass have some funny videos.

Bet you it was Melancholy Emperor and Resisting the Ghost. If so, this post applies to me also.

kngen

Quote from: easytarget on January 16, 2021, 04:52:07 AM

You think? Doesn't sound grindy at all to me. Makes me think more of hectic mid-90s hardcore like In/Humanity or Mukilteo Fairies. Admittedly, I stopped listening to grindcore after DA's Inalienable Dreamless (didn't seem much point after that!) so it could have changed in the interim.

easytarget

Quote from: kngen on January 18, 2021, 03:35:01 PM
You think? Doesn't sound grindy at all to me. Makes me think more of hectic mid-90s hardcore like In/Humanity or Mukilteo Fairies. Admittedly, I stopped listening to grindcore after DA's Inalienable Dreamless (didn't seem much point after that!) so it could have changed in the interim.

I think the boundaries between genres are mushy. This had:

• short songs
  • blast beats
  • screaming

Which are grind things. It also had some weird electronic, experimental noises and some other non-grind things.

So, maybe not.

Meh, I'm going to give it another spin.

Fonz

Reverend Bizzarre are/were great.

Google them. Some great pics of the group.

Authentic.

Captain Crunch

If we're talking about 'back in the day' bands I used to really like Ramesses.  Bit limp on record listening back but really solid live.

Most of them went on to form the excellent, if stupidly-named 11 Paranoias.

11PARANOIAS - Asterismal

Famous Mortimer

I just listened to the first Cathedral EP (In Memorium), and I'm into it.

willbo

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on January 18, 2021, 07:14:19 AM
Bet you it was Melancholy Emperor and Resisting the Ghost. If so, this post applies to me also.

Melancholy Emperor sounds familiar, if that's the one that says "holy father" in the chorus, I think I ended up getting the album. I also loved Monster Magnet then and wanted to get more into the retro/stoner genre based on my love for them, but none of the other bands ever grabbed me as much as Monster Magnet.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: willbo on January 21, 2021, 09:41:08 AM
Melancholy Emperor sounds familiar, if that's the one that says "holy father" in the chorus, I think I ended up getting the album. I also loved Monster Magnet then and wanted to get more into the retro/stoner genre based on my love for them, but none of the other bands ever grabbed me as much as Monster Magnet.

It is! It's one of favourite songs ever, it's perfect in every way. Lee Dorrian's post-Cathedral band Tombs have some good doom tunes as well.

I enjoyed the Monster Magnet song on the Matrix soundtrack though found out years later they'd ripped it off from a Hawkwind song quite shamelessly.

willbo

Kerrang made Monster Magnet's Powertrip their album of the year in 1998. I loved it too, though Kerrang's endorsement didn't seem help them break into pop culture. Rock Sound magazine always gave hugely hyped up, super-positive reviews to stoner rock albums too. Weirdly then it seemed like QOTSA were like some lesser sidekick to Monster Magnet, but they got huge while MM lagged behind with problems. I didn't know at the time MM's Dave Wyndorf was in a punk band which hung out with the Ramones in the 70s.

Yeah Powertrip is fucking skill. I really like Wyndorf's voice, it has a really nice classic 70s rock sound to it.

Shaky

The first 4 MM albums are fucking incredible. Negasonic Teenage Warhead from Dopes to Infinity is just so joyous. Gonna listen to it now. For me, the band seriously went off the boil after Powertrip.

A shout out to the first few LPs from Fu Manchu as well. Insanely heavy, groovy vibes from the rhythm section(s).

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on January 21, 2021, 10:23:46 AM
Lee Dorrian's post-Cathedral band Tombs have some good doom tunes as well.
I can't find hide nor hair of this project online. There is a band called Tombs who sound decent, though.

kilgore

Quote from: Captain Crunch on January 20, 2021, 12:29:24 PM
If we're talking about 'back in the day' bands I used to really like Ramesses.  Bit limp on record listening back but really solid live.

I managed to catch Ramesses playing at the Underworld, think they were support to Sourvein. They were monstrous, and in the outro squall they even had Woodward being burnt alive in the Wicker Man.

As you say, none of their recorded stuff really hit the same but I still listen to this regularly:

https://youtu.be/sqiLETAhj7M

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 22, 2021, 01:12:23 PM
I can't find hide nor hair of this project online. There is a band called Tombs who sound decent, though.

Talking out me hole, they're called From the Dead and I was thinking of their song Egyptian Tomb.

kngen

Yeah, Tombs are great. Non-hipster blackish metal (even though they're from Brooklyn) with a bit of blackgaze, bit of psychedelia. Absolutely crushing live.

Pink Gregory

There's also that Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine record (Dorrian and Sunn/O))) )

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Pink Gregory on January 24, 2021, 10:13:07 AM
There's also that Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine record (Dorrian and Sunn/O))) )
Definitely, just listening to that one and it's fantastic.

The Mollusk

A friend of mine just put me on to Admiral Angry, who released their one and only album "Buster" back in 2009. I've read that a lot of the anger on this record is fuelled by the fact that their guitarist was well on his way to dying of cystic fibrosis at the tragically young age of 22 when it was created. Whether that's true or not (the source of inspiration I mean, not the death, which definitely did happen), this album fucking slams so hard. Seriously grinding low end tones, hammering drums, disgustipated vocals, a relentless trudging mire of thick, heavy bleakness.

Tone and mixing plays a huge part in how much I enjoy metal and consequently a lot of bands/records, no matter how great their tunes are, do relatively nothing for me and I'll switch off very quickly, but this album is fucking enormous and devastating. It hooked me in instantly and I'm stuck inside.

https://shelsmusic.bandcamp.com/album/buster

Famous Mortimer

I just discovered a doom band I really like are locals, so I stand a chance of going to see them at some point soon. They're called Fister, and their new album "Video Death" is pretty damn good. I still don't know enough to know what your more knowledgeable metal people think of them, but I like what I've heard so far.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Hank_Kingsley

For some reason, doom, sludge, and stoner metal are my 'autumn' genres. Something about the days getting shorter and the leaves turning fills me with the desire to listen to bands with names like Pagan Altar and Crypt Sermon.

That new Gatecreeper (and especially the 11-minute banger mentioned) is well worth listening to as are their earlier albums.

I generally don't have the patience for single songs longer than 30 minutes, my arbitrary doom sweet spot is between 7 and 12 minutes. Don't ask me why.

Another +1 for Windhand, noice stuff. Sleep are an essential band I reckon. I have a lot of time for OM too, although along with Earth I guess they're more drone-doom.

Anyhow, I recommend Conan - 'Hawk as Weapon' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfGlmGaDTHE

Crypt Sermon - 'Temple Doors' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spfXao0s4p8 (love the singer's Dio affectations, this is what I think of as traditional doom)

Are Batushka 'doom' or 'blackened doom' or 'Millenial gregorian-metal' I don't know but these cats sing in...medieval Polish? and rock slowly  Батюшка - Песнь 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odUuR9BDhTU

MP3 blogs aren't really a thing anymore but there was a great one called 'The Day After Sabbath' which covered all the proto-metal/Sabbath inspired bands like Captain Beyond and Leaf Hound who are all interesting.