Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:59:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Gig 'Whores : A New Hope

Started by non capisco, May 01, 2021, 09:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

TicketMaster is so fucking shit. A cancerous capitalist black cloud looming over the live music scene. I met someone recently who works on the user interface development team at TicketMaster and I had to bite my tongue. I know everyone has to work somewhere and sometimes you just can't escape these parasites if you want to stay alive but I had to fight the urge to blurt out something about how the interface is a festering trampled cock of ineptitude and contributes to a greater system of human misery and daylight robbery sapping the great swell of joy from the experience of booking tickets for your favourite artists in one of their affiliated gaping death chasm venues.

flotemysost

Cheers non capisco, I'll dig around to remember when I actually booked it/how much it was and give it a go. It'll make a change from my usual tearful 3am card cancellation requests, any road.

And completely agree there, The Mollusk. I had a former flatmate who worked for Live Nation (which merged with Ticketmaster in 2010 and is part of the same hateful homogenising juggernaut), she worked there out of a love of music and the occasional perk of free tickets for gigs and festivals, but they sounded like pretty atrocious employers from what she said.

Pink Gregory

The Mollusk

Quote from: Pink Gregory on March 31, 2022, 07:34:44 AMso who's going Desertfest?

Me and capisco are there for the Saturday night, but only the Roundhouse bit. Lineup is amazing and wish I could afford the whole thing, but £30 for Pissed Jeans, Shellac and Part Chimp is aaallllright with me, baby.

Pink Gregory

I'm only doing Powerhaus and the Roundhouse myself, quite convenient to never have to change venue, pretty sure my standing up stamina is down after two years

The Mollusk

Sweet, drop me a message if you fancy meeting for a drink beforehand on the 30th! Be nice to meet you. We can aggressively quote Frisky Dingo and Achewood at each other god actually no I don't even want to joke about that sort of behaviour

Pink Gregory

Quote from: The Mollusk on March 31, 2022, 08:59:59 AMSweet, drop me a message if you fancy meeting for a drink beforehand on the 30th! Be nice to meet you. We can aggressively quote Frisky Dingo and Achewood at each other god actually no I don't even want to joke about that sort of behaviour

might just!

Been getting back into Shellac in a big way, only seen them once

non capisco

That Roundhouse lineup is astonishingly good, can't wait. And yes, feel free to meet us for a few scoops beforehand Pink Gregory!

The gig lineup for April is pretty headspinning.  As well as Desertfest I've got Sparks, Low, Protomartyr, McLusky,, Mdou Moctar. Not a bad dry run for the two weekend insanity of Primavera in June.

Gutted I can't make it to Desertfest, really wanted to see YOB as they're fucking magnificent live.

Got Peter Hook and the Light next week, not sure how good it's going to be.

jobotic

Was thinking of getting tickets to that Roundhouse gig then forgot all about it. Sold out now and I'm skint anyway. Bugger! With you sweet boys too!

The Mollusk

Quote from: jobotic on March 31, 2022, 05:49:27 PMWas thinking of getting tickets to that Roundhouse gig then forgot all about it. Sold out now and I'm skint anyway. Bugger! With you sweet boys too!

Aw shame! Another time.

I've got Jeff Rosenstock in a couple weeks which I'm massively excited about. He's an underground hero and I don't doubt the crowd will be absolutely GOING OFF for it. I'm also going with an old friend, we went to see (a bastard Jello-less version of) Dead Kennedys when we were 14, it was my first EVER gig and I lost my mosh pit virginity and my glasses, so I can't think of anyone better to be jumping back in with me.

Gigs are fucking ace aren't they, the best

Memorex MP3

Quote from: The Mollusk on March 31, 2022, 05:56:06 PMAw shame! Another time.

I've got Jeff Rosenstock in a couple weeks which I'm massively excited about. He's an underground hero and I don't doubt the crowd will be absolutely GOING OFF for it. I'm also going with an old friend, we went to see (a bastard Jello-less version of) Dead Kennedys when we were 14, it was my first EVER gig and I lost my mosh pit virginity and my glasses, so I can't think of anyone better to be jumping back in with me.

Gigs are fucking ace aren't they, the best
oh! thanks for the heads up, I'm gonna try and go to that. Find his albums a bit exhausting but he's almost certainly great live

phantom_power

And you might see James Acaster there

The Mollusk

Ah I'm going to the Nottingham show so it's unlikely! But if I do see him I will aggressively shout DO THE TOOTH TEETH HAVE TEETH TOO at him because I bet he'd love that

Egyptian Feast

I'm taking my missus to see Leee John in a Pizza Express in a few weeks. Not stalking, an actual gig. I assume we'll have eaten the pizza by the time he starts playing, otherwise his overwhelming sexual charisma might put me off my meal.

Kankurette

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on March 31, 2022, 05:35:11 PMGutted I can't make it to Desertfest, really wanted to see YOB as they're fucking magnificent live.

Got Peter Hook and the Light next week, not sure how good it's going to be.
I'm seeing him later in the year but he's rescheduled so many bastarding times I can't even remember when he's playing. Gig's been booked since 2020.

I'm hoping to see the Anchoress play the Deafie in May now she's started touring again.

SteveDave

I'm going to see Supergrass supported by Ash on Monday. The 90s never ended they just got wider babey.

And then Frank Skinner in a pub on Saturday. 

DrGreggles

I saw Supergrass just before Lockdown 1. Still a tight-as-fuck live band.

boki

Quote from: The Mollusk on March 31, 2022, 06:54:38 PMAh I'm going to the Nottingham show so it's unlikely!
PROTIP: When attending a weekday gig at Rescue Rooms, use the main bar rather than the one in the live room as a lot of the drinks on tap might well be on some happy hour thing.  Also, it's not as cramped, and you'll be passing it when you go the bogs anyroad.

Oh, while I'm here, I see that Sungazer are playing TWO NIGHTS IN 'ACKNEEEY, so I'm thinking of coming down for one of them.  Anyone up for a bit of mutual chin-stroking?

Kankurette

Anyone else going Rebellion this year?

Icehaven

Going to see Ghost, and on Good Friday appropriately enough. Had minor ticket panic earlier today when I realised we still hadn't had them and it's less than 2 weeks away, but after calling Ticket Factory and being assured they should be sent by the end of the week by pure coincidence they turned up 5 minutes later. We bought them in Feb, so presumably there was some electronic fuck up and whoever I spoke to resent them or something. Anyway I'm terribly excited, and judging by the number of other people I've encountered who like them I'll have the arena to myself.

I fucking love Ghost but they've moved to the kind of arena show that I usually avoid unfortunately. The new album is ace.

Pink Gregory

First show for 2+ years might be Big/Brave down here in Briz in a few weeks.  Nothing's going to quite match seeing them in what was essentially a pub like the first time.

Nothing I want to see goes to the Exchange anymore since they went community-owned/remodelled and made it a much better venue; loads of bands on but because I'm a perma-tired physical worker I never end up going to check something new out.

Rough Trade is *alright*, but kind of a grey walls sticky floors boxy room kind of thing, and I feel the same way about the Crofter's Rights.  Miss the Croft and the Stag and Hounds a lot.

Icehaven

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on April 05, 2022, 06:05:43 PMI fucking love Ghost but they've moved to the kind of arena show that I usually avoid unfortunately. The new album is ace.

It is!! Come to Brum.

jobotic

Who are Slime City? They any good? Playing down the road from me at the weekend.

boki

Quote from: jobotic on April 05, 2022, 11:26:10 PMWho are Slime City? They any good? Playing down the road from me at the weekend.

They're ace!  Aggy Devo-esque fun-punk. 

They also happen to be all of the Michaels from We Are The Physics, if you remember them.

Oh, while I'm here - anyone going to Melt Banana in Nottingham on Friday?

jobotic

Cheers, I'll have a listen tonight

Quote from: Peacock Johnson on December 03, 2021, 01:44:05 PMTicket booked for Grandaddy with orchestra performing The Sophtware Slump in full, next April

I can't make this now so have a ticket going, PM etc...

Saw Peter Hook and The Light last night. It was OK, but it answered the question: Do I want to see Joy Division's two albums played live in their entirety? To which I would say "No".

DrGreggles

Quote from: Peacock Johnson on April 06, 2022, 11:06:16 AMI can't make this now so have a ticket going, PM etc...

Which venue?