Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:04:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Does anyone remember a disturbing moment on "Buzzcocks"

Started by willbo, May 16, 2021, 09:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on May 31, 2021, 04:45:03 PM
I was waiting for the klaxon to go off so Fry could say "and that's why you're only a DJ on 6 Music where no one listens to you" but alas, no.

Not to mention Suicide Solution is an ironic play on words regarding alcoholism.

kngen

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on May 31, 2021, 02:51:19 PM
I remember him being on QI and they were talking about songs that make people kill themselves and he mentioned Judas Priest and the song Suicide Solution and when asked how he knew that started shouting "well I'm only a DJ" It's only my job!". I wish I was on hand to tell him that that was the song that got Ozzy into trouble, not Judas Priest. The unfunny prick.

I'll admit that I'll occasionally get Suicide Solution and Better By You, Better Than Me mixed up because they were both the subjects of lawsuits brought by parents of teenagers who attempted suicide. But I wouldn't go on TV and boast about it

holdover

Jupitus occasionally pops up on the 46-30 podcast which is usually just James Yorkston and some whisky bore coming across like the worst pair of music bores in the world. It's always a relief when Jupitus is on as he calls out the appalling smugness.

Smugness aside, that podcast has introduced me to lots of great music I hadn't been exposed to previously.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: kngen on May 31, 2021, 06:28:59 PM
I'll admit that I'll occasionally get Suicide Solution and Better By You, Better Than Me mixed up because they were both the subjects of lawsuits brought by parents of teenagers who attempted suicide. But I wouldn't go on TV and boast about it

The only reason I know it is because Bill Hicks did a routine about it.

up_the_hampipe

A bunch of the same faces you see on every other panel show, having friendly banter about music. That's probably all it could be, as the style of what made Buzzcocks popular doesn't really fit in today.

Mobbd

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on May 30, 2021, 11:54:51 PM
The one special of his I vaguely remember seeing included a section where he showed footage of one of the planes hitting the building on 9/11, and using a remote control moved the video back and forth for 2 seconds either side of the impact while intoning: "Alive... dead... alive... dead..."

Exalted humour indeed, but I've never seen it since.

Not 9/11. That DVD came out in 2000 and probably used material worked up through the late '90s.

I don't remember the plane crash bit but I expect the joke was only a bit off-colour and essentially about what it would be like if someone were so callous in real life. More a joke about Jupitus' irreverent persona than the actual mocking of real people's deaths.

I do remember enjoying the show. His stuff about his spider phobia was ticklish and funny and charming.

kalowski

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on May 31, 2021, 02:51:19 PM
I remember him being on QI and they were talking about songs that make people kill themselves and he mentioned Judas Priest and the song Suicide Solution and when asked how he knew that started shouting "well I'm only a DJ" It's only my job!". I wish I was on hand to tell him that that was the song that got Ozzy into trouble, not Judas Priest. The unfunny prick.
That really pissed me off too. He said it with such conviction too.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Mobbd on June 03, 2021, 10:50:07 AM
Not 9/11. That DVD came out in 2000 and probably used material worked up through the late '90s.

I don't remember the plane crash bit but I expect the joke was only a bit off-colour and essentially about what it would be like if someone were so callous in real life. More a joke about Jupitus' irreverent persona than the actual mocking of real people's deaths.

I did say in another post I wasn't sure the plane crash was 9/11, but anyway I was talking about one special I saw, not about that DVD in particular.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: kalowski on June 03, 2021, 12:15:27 PM
That really pissed me off too. He said it with such conviction too.

Absolutely ditto, I remember thinking, if that sort of assertion is being thrown around uncorrected on QI, how many other things are they getting wrong that I don't know about? Also Richard Osman was once on (I think) QI talking about "Chas Hodge", slightly smugly like 'oh yeah I know Chas & Dave's surnames', again uncorrected. Although I've noticed that every time Stewart Lee addresses a subject that I know something about, he trots out incorrect information without any hint of self-doubt.

willbo

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on June 03, 2021, 12:32:20 PM
Absolutely ditto, I remember thinking, if that sort of assertion is being thrown around uncorrected on QI, how many other things are they getting wrong that I don't know about? Also Richard Osman was once on (I think) QI talking about "Chas Hodge", slightly smugly like 'oh yeah I know Chas & Dave's surnames', again uncorrected. Although I've noticed that every time Stewart Lee addresses a subject that I know something about, he trots out incorrect information without any hint of self-doubt.

There was an episode of QI once where the opening subject was inaccuracy in QI and how there would always be some level of inaccuracy because of the variety of quality and age of the sources they use. Fry gave an exact percentage of how inaccurate a series could be, I think.

lankyguy95

Remembering the time Frank Skinner was talking about people who have knowledge without understanding, and described it as "The Stephen Fry approach".

willbo

But Fry was just on Jordan Peterson's podcast! Why would he appear on a bona fide modern "philosopher's" youtube show if he wasn't a real heavyweight intellectual?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: lankyguy95 on June 03, 2021, 11:27:50 PM
Remembering the time Frank Skinner was talking about people who have knowledge without understanding, and described it as "The Stephen Fry approach".

Where did he talk about this?

mr. logic

Yeah, he's mentioned him a few times on his podcast. Doesn't seem like the biggest fan.

notjosh

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on June 03, 2021, 12:32:20 PM

Yeah, whenever you have reasonably in-depth knowledge of something you become painfully aware how many people are talking absolute shit about it, and it really makes you doubt their wisdom on other subjects. I stopped watching Last Week Tonight after seeing football 'obsessive' John Oliver telling Letterman that there were 19 teams in the Premier League (you don't even need to be a football fan to know that one):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfxApzbsaF0

I've also, on a couple of occasions, been involved in TV things that have gone viral or got press somehow, and when you see the shit that so-called journalists write about it you realise that they most of them don't do even the most cursory research.

gilbertharding

I especially remember (but not, apparently, word-for-word) Stephen Fry 'correcting' someone who discussed kangaroos as being mammals.

"No - they're marsupials," asserted the massive sweaty bore.

kevinq

Limmy's webcam chat on Fry is definitive for me, ten years later: https://youtu.be/qiNeIkJuEoY?t=1645

I think in one of his memoirs he talked about being good at bluffing his weekly essays at Cambridge, but not being good under proper scrutiny during exams.

An tSaoi

Quote from: kevinq on June 04, 2021, 11:53:38 AM
Limmy's webcam chat on Fry is definitive for me, ten years later: https://youtu.be/qiNeIkJuEoY?t=1645

"Fuckin' punch yer nose that direction ya cunt!"

Did an actual spit take.

Quote from: katesbush on May 28, 2021, 08:32:36 PM
I haven't visited this forum for many a year but logged on recently and felt I had to post this..

Simon Amstell on the Buzzcocks reading the final paragraph of Preston's girlfriend's book..
Man, this unclassy act was manufactured to hurt, pure and simple. Think about what he was doing FFS.

The only 'decent' thing Preston could have done, was walk away.
Sit there and take it? Absorb the humiliation ? Seriously?

I was about to post the exact same sentiment then fortunately went back and read the thread.
"Ha! You're right Simon! My wife's ghostwriter really wrote this in a rush. What was I thinking marrying her?"

jobotic

John what about him on Mastermind? John?

I like Limmy a lot but I don't know how people watch these things.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Largely Babble on June 04, 2021, 12:31:13 PM
I was about to post the exact same sentiment then fortunately went back and read the thread.
"Ha! You're right Simon! My wife's ghostwriter really wrote this in a rush. What was I thinking marrying her?"

To be fair, I think most people at the time presumed that they were only married as some kind of publicity stunt (the £300k each from OK Magazine as exhibit A). The entire relationship lasted 18 months from soup to nuts - and that includes him becoming engaged and separating from a completely different woman.

I mean, the Buzzcocks episode might have been a mere example of the pressure they were under as a couple, but fucking hell.

gilbertharding

Quote from: jobotic on June 04, 2021, 12:31:22 PM
John what about him on Mastermind? John?

I like Limmy a lot but I don't know how people watch these things.

Ah - and I don't know how other people are good at 'general knowledge', but a lot of it isn't 'just remembering stuff'. And even if it is, the memory functions by drawing connections between different fragments of knowledge. You often do end up 'working stuff out' from the clues in the questions. Plus, reading lots and lots, and being able to remember it doesn't preclude understanding.

I like Limmy too, but that is just shit.

Quote from: gilbertharding on June 04, 2021, 04:23:25 PM
To be fair, I think most people at the time presumed that they were only married as some kind of publicity stunt (the £300k each from OK Magazine as exhibit A). The entire relationship lasted 18 months from soup to nuts - and that includes him becoming engaged and separating from a completely different woman.

Fair enough. But even then still I would say that's the only reaction he could've had, even just to keep up the pretence.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Largely Babble on June 04, 2021, 04:37:19 PM
Fair enough. But even then still I would say that's the only reaction he could've had, even just to keep up the pretence.

You're right.

Also, from the perspective of 2021, where quite a few reality stars have tragically proved themselves to be people too, it could have looked pretty bad.

mippy

Trying to remember now if Chantelle was on the 'Celebrity' doc on the iPlayer. Kerry Katona came across surprisingly well on it.