Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:44:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Does anyone remember a disturbing moment on "Buzzcocks"

Started by willbo, May 16, 2021, 09:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sutin

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 17, 2021, 01:47:48 PM
Wasn't Buzzcocks partly responsible for Lauren Laverne's post-Kenickie career?

I believe so yeah!

Has Lamarr ever expressed regret about his misogyny in the series? The misogyny was always, it seemed, coming from the host not the captains, although the writers probably bear some responsibility.

'Shooting Stars' may also have ventured there occasionally despite the layers of irony and Vic's self-deprecation. Vic standing behind a woman and rubbing his thighs does not withstand criticism when placed in the context of the laddism decade (or any decade, but especially that one).

The Ombudsman

I ran into Lamarr on a very quiet Sunday in Rye with his mates.

He seemed to be overly loud and trying to be noticed.

Fits.

PaulTMA

I remember reading an interview with Sarah Cracknell, where she claimed she regretfully took acid before the filming of her Shooting Stars episode, and that Vic rubbing his thighs in her direction wasn't a highlight

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on May 19, 2021, 10:10:41 AM'Shooting Stars' may also have ventured there occasionally despite the layers of irony and Vic's self-deprecation. Vic standing behind a woman and rubbing his thighs does not withstand criticism when placed in the context of the laddism decade (or any decade, but especially that one).

Even at the time I felt that, as it went on, it became less and less ironic and more and more creepy.

Having rewatched S1 and half of S2 recently, it now just seems creepy even from the off.

Quote from: PaulTMA on May 19, 2021, 04:02:03 PMI remember reading an interview with Sarah Cracknell, where she claimed she regretfully took acid before the filming of her Shooting Stars episode, and that Vic rubbing his thighs in her direction wasn't a highlight

It must have been really good acid, because according to Wikipedia she's never been on it!

pigamus

Quote from: PaulTMA on May 19, 2021, 04:02:03 PM
I remember reading an interview with Sarah Cracknell, where she claimed she regretfully took acid before the filming of her Shooting Stars episode, and that Vic rubbing his thighs in her direction wasn't a highlight

It's probably Buzzcocks, the one they made a video of, and Jonathan Ross pointing out her very prominent nipples

kngen

Quote from: wrec on May 16, 2021, 04:02:32 PM
I remember Lemmy supposedly walked off in disgust after they were nasty about women in one of those lineups.

I remember the general chat among peers/in pubs/online etc being 'pfft, what a square' but definitely made me think he was one of the good guys - something consolidated by reading his autobiography a few years later. But then there's the massive collection of nazi memorobilia ...

PaulTMA

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 19, 2021, 06:14:00 PM
Even at the time I felt that, as it went on, it became less and less ironic and more and more creepy.

Having rewatched S1 and half of S2 recently, it now just seems creepy even from the off.

It must have been really good acid, because according to Wikipedia she's never been on it!

That is very weird.  I'm sure she said this in Select.  It wouldn't fit Buzzcocks, would it?  You'd need Vic Reeves rubbing his thighs, for a start.

pigamus

Quote from: PaulTMA on May 19, 2021, 10:29:37 PM
That is very weird.  I'm sure she said this in Select.  It wouldn't fit Buzzcocks, would it?  You'd need Vic Reeves rubbing his thighs, for a start.

Possibly not a normal episode, but Never Rewind The Buzzcocks might have stuck in her mind as it was an extended thing, and Jonathan Ross was leering at her tits (as was I to be absolutely fair)

lipsink

I remember the lineup round one time where the actual band member was extremely wasted. I think it was the episode Melanie Blatt was on, for some reason.

Another ep that Rick Wakeman was on he made a joke which implied he didn't get on with his son or something. Someone said a comment like: "Your son will die when he sees that" and Wakeman said "We live in hope". It came out sounding pretty cunty.

Phill Jupitus is a knobhead according to friends in the industry.

PaulTMA

Jupitus gave me a withering death stare when I accidentally made eye contact with him in the bar of Edinburgh's Usher Hall.  I was mainly insulted for the assumption I wanted to look at him

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on May 19, 2021, 10:10:41 AM
Has Lamarr ever expressed regret about his misogyny in the series?

He hasn't said anything. His final episode on Buzzcocks was one of his last ever TV appearances.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 19, 2021, 06:14:00 PM

i'd have to rewatch it but I recall it as so childish and absurd it's a fairly innocent mocking of laddish 90s phwoaring.
it's like Johnny Bravo. What's he going to do? He's just a fucking idiot. more fool him.

though like a lot of things on Shooting Stars the joke wore thin pretty quickly. the panel show curse.

bigfatheart

Quote from: lipsink on May 19, 2021, 10:43:25 PM
Another ep that Rick Wakeman was on he made a joke which implied he didn't get on with his son or something. Someone said a comment like: "Your son will die when he sees that" and Wakeman said "We live in hope". It came out sounding pretty cunty.

It wasn't as extreme as that - he made a few embarrassing jokes about sex, and it'd already been pointed out that he had a teenaged son who'd probably be embarrassed by his Dad going on about sex on TV. When he made another one later, Sean Hughes (I think) said his son'd probably have run away from home by now, and yeah, "we live in hope". Didn't come across as particularly sinister as far as I recall.

Mr Trumpet

I recently passed Rick Wakeman on the Tottenham Court Road. My honest first thought upon seeing him was "he's remarkably overweight for a tramp". Then I realised who it was.

Blue Jam

Quite tempted to go to this ngl:

https://myticket.co.uk/artists/rick-wakeman-december

Learning piano atm and would like to hear the Bowie stuff even between the dad jokes.

(you're thinking "that's an old photo", aren't you Mr Trumpet?)

Bad Ambassador

PaulTMA

Spode

Quote from: notjosh on May 16, 2021, 01:16:38 PM
I thought it was pretty cunty of Amstel to take the piss out of Preston From The Ordinary Boys' girlfriend by reading her autobiography with disdain. It was implied that he was a diva for walking off, but who the fuck is gonna sit there and let someone call their girlfriend thick and shallow like that?

Jupitus happy to get involved as well, only a couple of years after bouncing round on stage with The Ordinary Boys at Glastonbury, covering The Specials.

NoOffenceLynn

It's just occurred to me that 'Buzzcocks' is probably a colloquial term for a motorised female sex toy.

gib

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on May 23, 2021, 10:40:42 AM
It's just occurred to me that 'Buzzcocks' is probably a colloquial term for a motorised female sex toy.

wikipedia says "Devoto and Shelley chose the name "Buzzcocks" after reading the headline, "It's the Buzz, Cock!", in a review of the TV series Rock Follies in Time Out magazine. The "buzz" is the excitement of playing on stage; "cock" is northern English slang meaning "friend". They thought it captured the excitement of the nascent punk scene, as well as having humorous sexual connotations following Pete Shelley's time working in a Bolton adult shop."

so that makes sense

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: icehaven on May 16, 2021, 10:40:01 AM
I was recently listening to one of the many Adam Buxton podcast episodes where he recounts how he's died on various panel shows, and I'm sure he said something about how on Buzzcocks the writers go through all the pre-written material with the hosts and guests beforehand and they each had to say which bits they wanted to do.

I've heard the exact same thing said about Rory McGrath on They Think it's all Over, although I guess he's sort of put out to pasture for being a drunken letch these days.

The line-ups could be pretty mean-spirited, it was funny when they got Athelston in as a running gag though.

basterfeldt

I've encountered Lamarr twice where I work, once he insisted on using his vape pen indoors and the other time he was just a general arse. Put some timber on too.
My initial excitement evaporated as quickly as his candy floss flavored juice.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 23, 2021, 12:18:52 PM
I've heard the exact same thing said about Rory McGrath on They Think it's all Over, although I guess he's sort of put out to pasture for being a drunken letch these days.

Convicted stalker

gilbertharding

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on May 25, 2021, 05:40:08 PM
Convicted stalker

Much fun can be had by spotting people accusing him *criminal behaviour x* on twitter, which he angrily denies - you can jump in and say 'quite right, Rory, it was harrassment, wasn't it?'

NoOffenceLynn

The treatment of Gail Porter on the show was awful, she was in tears and Lamarr just kept going, oblivious to her upset.

And yes, the line up parade was never funny just another chance to say abusive stuff to people, in the name of "edgy" comedy.

And Lamarr really seemed to enjoy and relish this humiliation, while reading off his pre-written card "jokes" that were probably penned by him and some other writer.

Glad he's not on our screens anymore.

neardark

Quote from: NoOffenceLynn on May 26, 2021, 01:29:23 PM
And Lamarr really seemed to enjoy and relish this humiliation, while reading off his pre-written card "jokes" that were probably penned by him and some other writer.

Sean Lock