Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:53:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Best jokes in classic Simpsons.

Started by dead-ced-dead, June 04, 2021, 05:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: markburgle on June 05, 2021, 10:16:14 PM
Homer in the back of Chief Wiggum's car hearing a description of the fugitive they're tailing. The fugitive is Marge, but Homer fails to clock this and pictures a hideous monster with blue hair, red pearls and green dress. Then says "Heh heh. What a freak!"
Then the car hits a bump and the monster rearranges into Marge

kalowski

Just perfect. God I wish the show could even partly scale these heights nowadays.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Schrodingers Cat on June 05, 2021, 10:34:38 PM
I love that bit. Not least because the idea that even in Homer's imagination, the park is still shit and kids are complaining. I'm sure that was a running theme but can't think of other examples off the top of my head. I could probably do with a full rewatch of the season 1-9 box sets I have...
There are a few bits where Bart has some depressing fantasy about his adult life and then says 'Cool!'
There's one where he's a washed up rockstar, one where he's hitchhiking and gets splashed with mud, and "Pleasing taste, some monsterism"

JamesTC

The Mollusk

Ah that's a good point yeah, I'd say it's a conscious effort on the writer's part to portray how societally jaded and ground-down Bart is, owed in part to having a dad in a dead-end job with no real aspirations, and also as a reflection of the world around him. Bart isn't the smartest kid but he also feels like the system is stacked against him and so even at the age of 10 he doesn't have any big dreams.

There's a good one in "Bart Gets Famous" where the class are going to the box factory, and Bart tries to simply dream his way into having a more fun time, but all he can think up is Skinner revealing the exact same school trip. He blames his lack of imagination on TV in that scene, which is cute considering in this episode he goes on to be a flash in the pan TV star just because of one shite unimaginative catchphrase. Fuck me that's good writing.

Quote from: JamesTC on June 06, 2021, 09:03:55 AM

Aw you clipped off the bit where he gestured the imaginary rag on a stick at Lisa and she reacts with disgust before running away. God, remember when the Simpsons was able to balance Lisa's intellectualism with the fact that she was still an eight year old girl?

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 06, 2021, 11:32:03 AM
Aw you clipped off the bit where he gestured the imaginary rag on a stick at Lisa and she reacts with disgust before running away. God, remember when the Simpsons was able to balance Lisa's intellectualism with the fact that she was still an eight year old girl?

Yeah, The Simpsons today has pushed Lisa into an unrealistic direction.

One of my favourite putdowns in TV history comes from Lisa:

Savage AF, as the kids say.

idunnosomename

Quote from: kalowski on June 05, 2021, 10:48:43 PM

Just perfect. God I wish the show could even partly scale these heights nowadays.
it's the unexpected callback when Lenny has the same absurd misconception as Homer that I truly love

idunnosomename

also the GIFs show off that the simpsons wasnt just exceptionally well-written, but surprisingly well animated. a lot of the best jokes land because of the quality of the direction. i mean the timing on that ambulance hitting the tree is just perfect.

sevendaughters

this was my Ja Danketies joke of the Simpsons ie. took me two decades to get it

neveragain

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 06, 2021, 02:05:56 PM
this was my Ja Danketies joke of the Simpsons ie. took me two decades to get it

What is the joke again? Isn't just that Lisa doesn't get the reference?

Sebastian Cobb

I would like to return your quote, unquote "Ultimate Belt."
I see. Do you have receipt, quote, unquote "sir"?

idunnosomename

*sigh* I can give you this telephone. It is shaped like Mary Worth.

madhair60

Quote from: neveragain on June 06, 2021, 03:08:44 PM
What is the joke again? Isn't just that Lisa doesn't get the reference?

the joke is that Mondale doesn't know where the beef is despite the fact that his name contains the word "dale" which is a place where cattle would often graze, cows being the basis for the meat of "beef" - it's a wordplay that isn't easy to catch on first viewing. I don't know what the "mon" part means though

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 06, 2021, 03:41:53 PM
*sigh* I can give you this telephone. It is shaped like Mary Worth.
No banging your head on the display case, please. It contains a very rare "Mary Worth", in which she has advised a friend to commit suicide.

chveik

JamesTC

Jokes wise the episode is a classic but I really hate Marge and the other characters who criticise Homer in this one. He genuinely loves Man Getting Hit By Football and who are they all to say that it is any less legitimate as art than Barny's film. A strange position for a comedy to make out that comedy is somehow less legitimate as art even oif they present extreme ends of the argument to try to make the point. They just all come across as pretentious.

imitationleather

Matt Groening hated that episode so much he had his name removed from the titles of it.

Fair play because it's not a great one but considering the shit is happy to have him name associated with these days it seems a bit inconsistent.

JamesTC

He only removed his name because he felt the whole episode was just acting as cross promotion with the new animated show The Critic. Not that the cross promotion did anything because The Critic bombed.

Leej88

If you had never heard of the Critic you would think why is this character drawn differently I only found out a few years after the episode aired that it was a crossover.

JamesTC

JamesTC

For some reason I had it in my head that the Frinkiac ended around Season 12 but it turns out it goes on for a fair bit further. Now we can make GIFs of our favourite later moments such as this knee slapper:

Leej88

That should be in the Bad Jokes section

JamesTC

checkoutgirl

Tickets to the Krusty anniversary show! Oh, he must want me to go with him.

Oh, it isn't fair. I'm 10 times the Krusty fan you are. I even have the Krusty Home Pregnancy Test.

I'm not sure I should go. I don't even like him.

You're right, Lise. You shouldn't go. It wouldn't be honest. I'll go, disguised as you.

What if he wants to hold hands?

I'm prepared to make that sacrifice.

What if he wants a kiss?

I'm prepared to make that sacrifice.

What if he...

You don't wanna know how far I'll go.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Wiggum: Well there's no pattern yet, but it I take these pins and move them over here - hello - it almost looks like an arrow.
Lou: Hey, it's pointing right at this police station.
Wiggum: LET'S GET OUTTA HERE!!!

Also, this:

Video Game Fan 2000

Ferris

Wiggum being ousted by Rex Banner:

"What are ya waiting for, a kiss goodbye?"

"...I... no, I guess not"