Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:03:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"I lost a gig because I'm a Straight White Male" claims Nick Dickson

Started by Sebastian Cobb, June 08, 2021, 10:25:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

I bet he's an absolute joy to be around backstage in a comedy club. If I were a promoter I'd probably be using any excuse I could think of not to book him. "Er, yeah mate, er, I've got too many white male comedians booked already, yeah, that's it. Sorry, can't fit you in for the next four million years."

lipsink

Quote from: Kankurette on June 08, 2021, 12:41:04 PM
No, sugar tits, it's probably because you're shit. Stewart Lee doesn't seem to have problems with gigs and he's all of those things.

Yeah, but Stewart Lee is secretly a black lesbian in a wheelchair. That's the real reason he's had so much success.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: lipsink on June 08, 2021, 11:57:09 AM
Rogen isn't immune to scandal. He was recently criticised by Charlyne Yi for enabling James Franco's toxic behaviour. Plus he's been in some films that haven't exactly aged well.

Doesn't seem to have been remotely affected by either of those things, from what I can see.

Leej88

Rogen wants to have a career so he has cut ties with Franco cause of the bad publicity of being associated with him.

lipsink

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 08, 2021, 01:05:14 PM
Doesn't seem to have been remotely affected by either of those things, from what I can see.

Yep. Turns out just being a straight white man doesn't mean your career is over after all.

lipsink

Quote from: Leej88 on June 08, 2021, 01:07:47 PM
Rogen wants to have a career so he has cut ties with Franco cause of the bad publicity of being associated with him.

Or perhaps he thought what he did was indefensible and doesn't want to see the prick again.

idunnosomename

Rick Dick what a ledge always in the zone
zero f***s given and karens owned

pupshaw

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on June 08, 2021, 12:49:40 PM
Getting roasted in the replies too

My favourite is "Is Jessica gigging? Can we watch her instead?"

Andrew Doyle, (Writer and comedian. Author of "Free Speech and Why It Matters". Soon to be on @GBNews)
lends some much needed support
QuoteThug life.

phantom_power

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 08, 2021, 01:05:14 PM

That because cancel culture doesn't really exist. And there has been minimum fuss because he accepted the criticism and tried to learn from it. He also said that some of his past films were of their time and haven't aged well. It is almost as if people who actually seem to be thoughtful about these things rather than reactionary and angry got through them with less fuss

phantom_power

Quote from: Bazooka on June 08, 2021, 11:39:55 AM
Indeed, and he seems to be unclear about the difference in language changing as societal norms do, and the undeniable insipid and toxic witch hunts from a very vocal minority.

Maybe because those witch hunts are minor twitter spats that have no real effect in real life and people never actually get cancelled because of them.

What famous people have had their careers massively harmed by anything other than being a fucking awful cunt, abuser or actual criminal?

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: phantom_power on June 08, 2021, 02:32:13 PM
That because cancel culture doesn't really exist. And there has been minimum fuss because he accepted the criticism and tried to learn from it. He also said that some of his past films were of their time and haven't aged well. It is almost as if people who actually seem to be thoughtful about these things rather than reactionary and angry got through them with less fuss

No one asked him to say that and he didn't need to say that, because it's not really true. In fact, he sounds a bit scared of something that he claims doesn't exist.

Maybe I need to clarify, I do agree with some of the points Williams and Rogen made, all I said is they're unlikely to be held to the same level of scrutiny. Similar to how South Park gets away with so much to this day. So it's like a blanket dismissal of something from a privileged position. The whole debate seems to be "cancel culture doesn't exist" vs. "you can't say anything these days". Neither of those arguments are true to me, but the latter is certainly more ridiculous.

dissolute ocelot

Rogen was also shitty to Katherine Heigl when she criticised Knocked Up, but he's subsequently apologised.

It seems likely to me that Rogen puts some value on both being a good human being and improving as an artist.

chveik

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Leej88 on June 08, 2021, 01:01:52 PM
Maybe he is just not a funny comedian.

Doesn't really matter if he is or isn't though. If someone wants a diverse bill it's totally their choice- or should be.

Leej88

His Mother in Law has Alzheimers so he works closely with the charity

lazyhour

From the Chortle article:

"Dixon has previously written for Spiked magazine, saying that he's been 'alienated from the woke comedy industry' and complaining about 'wokeism' in football because of its 'wall-to-wall promotion of the radical and violent political group' Black Lives Matter."

Lol.

Pink Gregory

bit late for this particular grift.  no space for a new one

also not at all that women, LGBT people and people of colour have difficulty getting on bills because promoters will admit one and no more on a particular bill.

Icehaven

He seems to have trouble understanding the difference between losing a gig and not getting it in the first place. It's not like he was booked then cut for someone else, unlike the poster above whose band lost a support slot they'd already been given, which is unacceptable. Anyone organising a gig can have whoever they want playing but you don't book acts then cancel them when you suddenly decide you need to have more diversity, because if they were that bothered about diversity they'd have given it more thought in the first place (as the organisers of Dickson's non-gig obvious did.)

peteprodge

CW: Sexual assault.

Quote from: lipsink on June 08, 2021, 10:39:43 AM
Last year they had a ridiculous comment by the odious, attention seeking comedy critic Kate Copstick saying there should've been a Fringe in August 2020 (right in the middle of a fucking pandemic and just before another huge spike).

Ah, the rape apologist Kate Copstick.

Catalogue Trousers

Kankurette

Quote from: lazyhour on June 08, 2021, 05:26:18 PM
From the Chortle article:

"Dixon has previously written for Spiked magazine, saying that he's been 'alienated from the woke comedy industry' and complaining about 'wokeism' in football because of its 'wall-to-wall promotion of the radical and violent political group' Black Lives Matter."

Lol.
Of course he has. Talk about a victim complex.

David Squires' cartoon this week is aimed at people like him. No, Marcus Rashford is not going to force you to live in a communal home while he takes all your money.
Quote from: peteprodge on June 08, 2021, 05:43:17 PM
CW: Sexual assault.

Ah, the rape apologist Kate Copstick.
All I got from her was 'pick me! Pick me! I'm one of the good ones!'

phantom_power

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 08, 2021, 03:30:02 PM
No one asked him to say that and he didn't need to say that, because it's not really true. In fact, he sounds a bit scared of something that he claims doesn't exist.

He isn't scared of anything. He is just aware that cultural norms change and what was once viewed as acceptable is no longer seen that way. Rather than piss and moan about it like others he chose to take it on board and acknowledge that times have changed.

Why aren't Williams and Rogen held to the same level of scrutiny? And compared to who?

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Pink Gregory on June 08, 2021, 05:31:49 PM
bit late for this particular grift.  no space for a new one

Piers Morgan: sorry nick, I've already got a thousand chinawhite poshos queuing up winge about not being allowed on dave panel shows, come back when you're a one legged Jamaican Gay, or funny eh

Bad Ambassador

Something that helps is that Rogen is a talented actor, in demand and develops a lot of projects he doesn't also act in (currently executive producer of three different series), so he doesn't need to chase the anti-woke grift.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: phantom_power on June 09, 2021, 09:28:45 AM
He isn't scared of anything. He is just aware that cultural norms change and what was once viewed as acceptable is no longer seen that way. Rather than piss and moan about it like others he chose to take it on board and acknowledge that times have changed.

Can there not be something in the middle of these two ideas, that acknowledges times have changed but the way it's handled sometimes might be a little extreme?

Quote from: phantom_power on June 09, 2021, 09:28:45 AM
Why aren't Williams and Rogen held to the same level of scrutiny? And compared to who?

Compared to people who are either less famous or more hated that have experienced this.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Leej88 on June 08, 2021, 01:01:52 PM
Maybe he is just not a funny comedian.

Isn't that a bit discriminatory against people who aren't funny?

phantom_power

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on June 09, 2021, 12:52:57 PM
Can there not be something in the middle of these two ideas, that acknowledges times have changed but the way it's handled sometimes might be a little extreme?

Compared to people who are either less famous or more hated that have experienced this.

The extreme handling is just Twitter bollocks and rarely affects real life, other than when right wing people try to add it to the culture war fire. What tends to happen is that someone points out something that hasn't stood the test of time very well, and for some reason it becomes a talking point. If the creator deals with it with honesty and humility it quickly goes away. If they drag their heels it can escalate. You do get extreme voices because Twitter is an uncensored (generally) pipeline to every person on the planet so of course you will get people going overboard. That usually stays within the confines of the internet though and generally has no real world effect on artists

I think less famous people are a slightly different topic but in terms of "more hated" that usually has a lot to do with how they deal with this sort of situation. I would say Rogen and his stoner bro persona would be ripe for a massive backlash but he dealt with the issue thoughtfully and honestly and so it all pretty much evaporated.

idunnosomename

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on June 09, 2021, 12:58:45 PM
Isn't that a bit discriminatory against people who aren't funny?
i identify as hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!