Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:01:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Awesome Oasis/Britpop thing

Started by bgmnts, June 10, 2021, 08:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

I saw that front page earlier. What a witless fucking wally of a man.

Kankurette

Thank fuck Neil Kulkarni exists. And I'm not at all surprised that a man who complained about a rapper at Glastonbury uses 'woke' as an insult.

Egyptian Feast

'Woke' and 'snowflake' in one sentence, marvellous stuff. His finest moment since he revealed he doesn't understand fiction.

bgmnts

I just want to say I love it due to the absolute pure, honest hatred for some idiot cunt this guy poured out. It's beautiful.

Gallagher's are obviously knobheads though, we all know that, it's just ace to have it worded so viciously.

TheGingerAlien

Props to fosters lager for absolutely nailing their demographic.

Kankurette

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on June 10, 2021, 08:53:08 PM
'Woke' and 'snowflake' in one sentence, marvellous stuff. His finest moment since he revealed he doesn't understand fiction.
Gallagher doesn't have an original thought in his head, I'm not surprised he doesn't understand fiction.

BJBMK2

Don't disagree with anything Kulkarni says, though I have to say, I prefer Taylor Parke's take on the whole thing, which goes into more detail on the culture war that Britpop inadvertently created.

https://thequietus.com/articles/15092-blur-parklife-anniversary-review

non capisco

Fucking righteous. I love the Incredible Kulk.

the science eel

Quote from: BJBMK2 on June 10, 2021, 10:07:16 PM
Don't disagree with anything Kulkarni says, though I have to say, I prefer Taylor Parke's take on the whole thing, which goes into more detail on the culture war that Britpop inadvertently created.

https://thequietus.com/articles/15092-blur-parklife-anniversary-review

(the irony being that in real life, Noel Gallagher is one of the sharpest and funniest bastards you ever could hope to meet)

Really, Taylor?

Goldentony

its genuinely worthwhile putting oasis in a giant brick tank that fills up with concrete and shooting anyone on sight if they like them

Egyptian Feast

Properly lolled at Sinead O'Connor's take:

QuoteFuggin Noel Gallagher was the first unwoke turd to drag rock music into the being part of the establishment (thereby silencing rock lyrics) by putting his traitorous foot over the threshold of 10 Downing St when Tony Blair used Noel's vanity as something to make Blair look cool.

The Culture Bunker

I'll have said this before, and I'll say again: I loathed Oasis at first for being the band of choice for the fuckwits at school who beat me up and called me a scrawny piece of gayboy shite because I liked to read and was useless at sport.

When I got older, started listening to (and playing) music, I disliked them more because those albums were incredibly boring. Noel Gallagher has always been a tedious bellend in my eyes, prone to talking absolute shite at the drop of a hat. I remember how it was made out back in the day that the band grew up in some kind of slum - imagine my surprise years later when I moved to Manchester and found out Burnage is a comfortable suburb.

This nonsense today is just another to add to list of arsegravy he's responsible for. He made English music worse and I hope for the day he's regarded by everyone for the regressive arsehole that he is.

'Slide Away' was OK, though.

jobotic

QuoteIt enabled a middle class media to homogenise its ideas about what counted as working class art. This is what you do — and by extension, this is ALL you can do.

Take out the word "art" and this also applies to your Brendan O'Niells, Andrew Lawrences and Paulie Walnutses

Captain Z

Sure as day follows night, this thread will fill up with posts savaging Oasis before caveating that, having said that, one of their tracks was OK. And by page 3, half of their discography will have been mentioned.

DJ Bob Hoskins

I can't disagree with any of the individual examples of the Gallaghers' idiocy mentioned in that article, but I think it's a bit simplistic to lay such a large amount of blame for any toxic fallout from the whole '90s Britpop / Loaded era at Oasis's door. I'd argue that whole culture was mainly created and amplified by record company execs, TV producers, the press etc.

Oasis happened to be a band who made it very big very quickly, at a time when guitar music and 60s nostalgia were all the rage. More importantly they had huge mouths and thus gave great soundbites with which the tabloids could shift copies of their rags. But crucially, the public absolutely lapped this stuff up. I think it's fair to say that TFI Friday and Ocean Colour Scene would still have existed even if Oasis hadn't.

Full disclosure: I was a big Oasis fan back in the day (I was a 15 when they first hit the big time, and the perfect demographic to be swept up in that whole scene). But even back then, I never took anything they said seriously, and I don't think anyone else did, really.

I guess my point is: I tend to view Noel as more of a national court jester, or out-of-touch uncle, than a properly bigoted Morrissey or a spreader of dangerous bullshit like Ian Brown. And he can be very funny and quick-witted in interviews. So long as you understand that his worldview of musical history is '??? > Beatles > Sex Pistols > Smiths > Stone Roses > Knebworth > that rap music you have these days'.  He is not a man in whose words one should put much stock, nor pay much heed to unless you just fancy a laugh.

I can even ignore him dissing the likes of Beyonce, because I remember in the '90s when he used to moan about how electronic music is shit and bands who use sequencers and synths etc are not proper artists making proper music, and then a few months later he was at #1 in the charts, singing vocals on the Chemical Brothers' new single.

Anyway this 'snowflake' thing is not worth anyone getting worked up about. I mean, he disses his own family by saying he gets how William feels what with having a kid brother who shoots his mouth off,, and then says "Prince Harry is coming across like a typical f****** woke snowflake....Just don't be f****** dissing your family because there's no need for it."  And Noel has spent his entire career slagging off his brother in the press. Nothing to see here.

Spiteface

I just enjoy how the Gallaghers live rent-free in CaB's collective minds.

It is funny in general how quick people are to declare their disdain for Oasis, like they CANNOT FUCKING WAIT to tell you how much they've always hated Oasis, as if it's a badge of honor or makes them special.

non capisco

It's because they're a right old load of shit, Spiteface.

Kankurette

Quote from: jobotic on June 10, 2021, 11:39:10 PM
Take out the word "art" and this also applies to your Brendan O'Niells, Andrew Lawrences and Paulie Walnutses
Are they even aware of the irony of claiming to be pro-working-class while categorising all (white) working-class people as ignorant bigots? You know, the thing they accuse the left of doing?

Spiteface, I actually like some of their stuff. Hell, I have their second album. I also think Noel is a tool. Setting Sun is the best thing he ever did.

ETA: there is a white northern working-class band who live rent free in my head but it's not Oasis, it's Space.

DJ Bob Hoskins

I feel I should also state that I do not disown my Oasis fanboy past. I went to see them play 4 or 5 times during their heyday, and regardless of what you think of the music they generated a kind of energy I've seldom seen a bunch of lads stood still in Ben Sherman shirts capable of mustering. They had the audience, and what seemed like the world, in the palm of their hand. 

As far as the music goes, I'll happily defend just about everything they released between 1994-1996, plus a handful of later tunes (Gas Panic!, anyone?). But even if you think they're responsible for the most heinously turgid Dad Rock imaginable, I don't see how any of this is the band's fault:

Quote from: Mister Neil Kulkarni
Oasis' rise meant .. . . The cunts taking over. The 'proper' homophobic mildly racist lads. The rejection of 'poofiness' stylistically, the reassertion of the English Rock Defence League's tiny-minded ideas abou'real' 'proper' music, rock regressing into pure soulless pastiche. It meant a cowardly craven press surrendering any critical standpoint in fear of the supposed consensus. It meant national broadcasters and publishers boosting the lads, the coked-up and lairy. It meant a reassertion of racist & sexist music stereotypes & snobbery. It enabled a middle class media to homogenise its ideas about what counted as working class art. This is what you do — and by extension, this is ALL you can do.

ETA: I'd perhaps even make a counter-argument in that the Britpop era also introduced me to bands such as Pulp and the Divine Comedy and Manic Street Preachers and Belle & Sebastian, and the idea that not only was it OK to be skinny, slightly effeminate, oddly-dressed and overly-sensitive in a hitherto conformist macho society, but that it was actually cool to be that type of person. So if that's Oasis's fault too, then cheers, Oasis.

Goldentony

oasis should seriously be all physically beaten with fucking big sticks, from inception to end, bonehead to fucking ringo's son, the lot, big fuck off sticks, all of them crying, never seen crying from men like this man fuck me what have I fucking done, ive fucking become the monster

Key

The thing that really puts me off about Oasis' music is that it's so stodgy. Listening to the plodding sludge makes me feel like I've just eaten six pies. Everythings always at this low-mid tempo, not fast enough to be exciting and not slow enough to be compelling  but the exact bmp of dullness. Then the guitars and Liam whine over the top like drunken bagpipes, a 5 mile trek through a bog. the Sex Pistols as heard through the ears of a dysthymic. God Noel where is the spirit? Where the invention you pentatonic cunt.

phantom_power

His opinions are shit enough but the fact that he gave them to the fucking Sun shows what a mega-cunt he is

turnstyle

Quote from: Captain Z on June 11, 2021, 12:05:03 AM
Sure as day follows night, this thread will fill up with posts savaging Oasis before caveating that, having said that, one of their tracks was OK. And by page 3, half of their discography will have been mentioned.

Columbia's good innit.

druss

Noel is fine, just doesn't have a filter. Not a genuinely hateful person, just a bit of a loud mouth. By all accounts he's a good lad if you meet him in person, don't know anyone who has met him who has said otherwise.

Headshrinker is good.

Sebastian Cobb

Noel did an interview on Worldwide FM of all places recently. I was only really half-listening to it (not really fussed about Oasis really), but it was interesting hearing him talk about some of the music that he listened to before forming Oasis. Both the Beegees and Acid House.

The acid house stuff was a bit funny as he talked about trying to add more dancey vibes to some of his work and had to put up with 'young mancs in fucking bucket hats asking me what I was playing at'.

https://www.mixcloud.com/worldwidefm/ralph-moore-with-noel-gallagher-26-05-21/

In googling for it, it seems several outlets are reporting on the fact he said he'd knife his brothers if he had to write songs with them:
https://australiannewsreview.com/freedomroo-noel-gallagher-admits-he-would-knife-brothers-if-he-had-to-write-a-song-in-the-studio-with-them/

phantom_power

Noel has always gone on about his varied musical influences, and even had FSOL in to do some sessions for an album that never happened, and yet the music he produces is always lumpen, turgid splat.

I am not sure how a "nice guy with no filter" would so consistently say such reactionary, culture war bullshit. He manages to get in "woke", "snowflake" and a dig at Meghan and Harry all in the space of about three sentences. I bet he disagrees with footballers taking the knee as well

Neomod

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 11, 2021, 10:24:33 AM
It was interesting hearing him talk about some of the music that he listened to before forming Oasis. Both the Beegees and Acid House.

A Burnage Bee Gees might be the most interesting thing he could do.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 11, 2021, 10:24:33 AMHe said he'd knife his brothers if he had to write songs with them

Oh.

Lumpen band.

I love Oasis and always have done. Headshrinker, Slide Away, Idler's Dream, Boy With The Blues, Rockin' Chair, all great stuff. A lot of us of a certain age who play guitar had Oasis as our entry to the instrument.

Noel can be very funny but I disagree with much of what he says these days. He's your typical English 50-something, comfortable, closed-minded, opinionated bore who is suspicious and readily dismissive of anything outside of his tiny bubble. We all know English people like this. They are conservative and they like comfort, with any change being seen as beneath them. Most people, if unaffected by something directly, will often think that the issue isn't as bad as people say it is. I'm sure there are studies somewhere about what age the average person is when they stop accepting new information.

What is also true is that as a child, Noel was beaten by his father. His life has been one silent reaction to the scared little boy who wants to make sure he's in control of all aspects and will tighten his grip even further at the first threat of anything. Interestingly, Liam was never beaten by their Dad, and that is what causes much of the tension and exiled relationship. Of course, psychotherapy would go a long way to helping Noel, but that's outside of his tiny bubble. "A fockin' shrink? Lying on a sofa with a fockin' Oxbridge dick telling me about my life? Fock off".

jobotic

Who cares if he's nice in person? Most people are.

He's contributing to the Tory culture wars. Fuck him and his woke snowflake wanker words.