Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,809
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:57:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Privatising Channel 4

Started by steveh, June 18, 2021, 11:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Goldentony on April 05, 2022, 06:05:55 PMremember what Bruce Springsteen wrote about the privatisation of Channel 4 in Badlands? a king isn't satisfied til he rules everything

It does remind me a bit of the London Underground. We've already got the Jubilee  Line and now we are getting the Elizabeth Line. And I read that Johnson wanted Crossrail 2 (which is unlikely to get built now Tfl are having a funding crisis, it would be a line that runs from Surrey to Hertfordshire) to be called the "Churchill Line". Even public transport has to fit in with the right's cultural war.

They'll demand the Central Line is changed from red because Corbyn or some other spurious reason next. Or that Tory donors get free travel.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Armando was on C4 News earlier quite rightly calling this out as a sad, shit and stupid move.

Those weren't his exact words, but that was the gist.

Sebastian Cobb

Armando enabled the conditions that lead to this and is now bleating because it might affect him.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Well yes. But he's still correct.

Pink Gregory

Does anyone else get the impression that the free-market fundamentalists that make up the majority of Conservative party aren't outwardly very enthusiastic in advocating for it?

Just the same set of statements about the market, competition, value for money yadda yadda yadda etc

I suppose after 40 years of indoctrination into neoliberalism they don't really have to try

Fambo Number Mive

Wonder if we'll see some of the current "stars" of GB News end up on Channel Four if its bought by Discovery. The most prolific tweeters defending this seem to be involved with GB News.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 05, 2022, 07:54:03 PMWonder if we'll see some of the current "stars" of GB News end up on Channel Four if its bought by Discovery. The most prolific tweeters defending this seem to be involved with GB News.

Rats, sinking ship

Sebastian Cobb

One of the things I find mad about this/british media is it strikes me as mad that nobody seems to have made any popular minority programming that even attempted to compete with Desmonds in the prevailing 30 years?

Desmonds is great, it's kind of depressing nobody appears to have attempted anything since.

Fambo Number Mive

So Nadine Dorres wanted Channel 4 to be more like Netflix.

QuoteShares in Netflix have slumped by 35% after it revealed a sharp drop in subscribers and warned millions more are set to quit the streaming service.

It wiped more than $50bn off the firm's market value as experts warned it faced a struggle to get back on track...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61173561

Mr_Simnock

yes you can't have a 'national' channel that could be dropped at any moment by it's viewers along with it's revenue

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 05, 2022, 07:39:44 PMArmando was on C4 News earlier quite rightly calling this out as a sad, shit and stupid move.

Those weren't his exact words, but that was the gist.
Also, that liar did a speech a while back advocating for the end of the licence fee. He can go fuck himself.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 21, 2022, 01:29:54 PMSo Nadine Dorres wanted Channel 4 to be more like Netflix.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61173561

Getting paid a fortune for burning through shitloads of other people's VC money until you have to start charging your customers more for a worsening service is peak tory-pleasing entrepreneurialism tbf.