Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:17:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Death metal, or as I like to call it, BEST metal

Started by The Mollusk, August 05, 2021, 11:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 17, 2021, 04:39:12 AM
"He Whose Name Was Long Forgotten" by Fossilization, an absolute death-doom beast.
Just popping this on again and it's a fucking beaut. Exactly fits what I want to listen to at the moment.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 26, 2021, 06:58:32 PM
Just popping this on again and it's a fucking beaut. Exactly fits what I want to listen to at the moment.

Yeah I rate it as well. I recommend the new albums by Body Void and Worm if you want more death/doom stuff, particularly the latter (which I think Magnum Valentino recommended in the 2021 metal thread) which is fucking spectacular and has quickly leapt up near the top of the best metal albums I've heard this year. Really really impressive stuff - a solid singular vision but also really varied and constantly engaging.

idunnosomename

I got a patch of Surgical Steel to nestle among Master of Puppets and Scream Bloody Gore I like it so much. but we have a Carcass thread!!!

oh a band I saw 2018 (first on supporting Pestilence) and was mega impressed by I'm just now catching up on their studio work are Cryptic Shift from Leeds. They have one album, Visitations from Enceladus. it's got a lot of late Death and Revocation vibes, and it's massively epic, with a big 2112-esque epic on the first half. super stuff.

Shaky

Quote from: iamcoop on October 20, 2021, 08:31:59 PM
Probably the best album ever made. Cheers

Mateeeeee.... it's fucking brilliant, but it's no Heartwork.

JaDanketies

Is good, Fossilization. Very dark and grim, and a bit like a new genre. I would also include Convulsing in this new genre.

Steven88

Corpsegrinder solo track
That's a pretty good track, better than Cannibal Corpse more recent stuff.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Steven88 on December 28, 2021, 12:16:41 PMCorpsegrinder solo track

Very good! I always thought Corpsegrinder was about as musically talented as me, and could just do the voice and the headbanging, and everyone else did all the music stuff

idunnosomename

Bit simpler and sillier than CC, but that's good. And not Six Feet Under either.

I imagine it's not truly solo, in that he'll have help arranging the tracks from instrumentalists and producers, but what solo album is? That said he is truly a musician, delivering lyrics with rhythmic precision and maintaining that voice without shredding his throat irreparably.

He writes surprisingly few lyrics for CC though, compared to Barnes who wrote pretty much all of them before he left.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Gradual Decline on December 28, 2021, 08:20:21 PMHave recently enjoyed London scum - https://atvm.bandcamp.com/album/famine-putrid-and-fucking-endless

Really fuckin solid debut album this is. It's overlong though, a lot of the tracks could do with having about a minute trimmed off, but they are very much into the smoking of weed so the indulgence can be forgiven considering how otherwise technically proficient and entertaining it is.

I was taken aback when googling them a few weeks back to discover they're based about a mile down the road from me and play regular gigs at a tiny little bar in Tottenham. Went to see them, £5 on the door, about 40 punters all of whom seemed to know one another. Absolutely fucking great gig. The drummer was wearing a FUKD & BOMBD shirt!

I've been chatting to them a bit on instagram and they're lovely lads, expecting them to blow up into an Underground success pretty soon, as they're getting a lot of coverage on end of year lists now.

easytarget

Quote from: Shaky on October 27, 2021, 09:14:28 AMMateeeeee.... it's fucking brilliant, but it's no Heartwork.
1985->Thrasher's Abattoir is probably as good as anything on Heartwork, but overall - Heartwork wins.

Famous Mortimer

One of my friends posted a photo of an Entombed shirt earlier on, so I decided to have a bit of a listen to them. Turns out, I almost always put on "Wolverine Blues" when I'm in the mood, so I decided to go from the beginning, and "Left Hand Path" is great. Top-drawer guitar sound, even on my not-perfect speakers it sounds good.

Magnum Valentino

I was also wearing my Entombed shirt today!

The scream at the end of Revel In Flesh is the exact right scream to deliver if a skeleton drops down beside you in a spooky old house.

easytarget

Entombed's first two records are, rightly, extremely highly regarded.
I just prefer Wolverine Blues and DCLXVI because I'm a sucker for there Death n Roll songs.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on August 05, 2021, 01:19:43 PMThe Bleeding by Cannibal Corpse
These lads are playing near me in about a month, so I shall pop along.

wrec

Dunno if it was already mentioned but this Dungeon Serpent album was a surprise favourite of 2021 for me - surprise because it's described as melodic DM which isn't my bag, though I am coming around to the likes of Dissection. Anyway this is a solo project by a 20 (!) year old Canadian, and it's a great combination of home-recorded ambience and utter air-punching epicness.

https://dungeonserpentmdm.bandcamp.com/album/world-of-sorrows

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 25, 2022, 10:14:28 PMThese lads are playing near me in about a month, so I shall pop along.

Different singer and guitarists from The Bleeding era but the drummer and bassist are of equal importance and the replacement singer is a much bigger 'legend' in the scene by now. You'll have a blast, I saw them a few years ago in Belfast wrecked on Red Bulls and couldn't move my neck for nine days.

Edit: I'm talking rubbish, Rob Barrett rejoined so you've three fifths of the best-death-metal-album-ever lineup.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 21, 2022, 07:04:37 PMOne of my friends posted a photo of an Entombed shirt earlier on, so I decided to have a bit of a listen to them. Turns out, I almost always put on "Wolverine Blues" when I'm in the mood, so I decided to go from the beginning, and "Left Hand Path" is great. Top-drawer guitar sound, even on my not-perfect speakers it sounds good.
"Clandestine" might be even better. Hurrah for some of that old death metal!

JaDanketies

I'm thinking of getting a tattoo of "The Eaten Back to Life Album Cover, but flowers".

Here's an AI of 'a zombie made out of flowers' I got that is close to the concept.

It'll be my first tattoo and I'll get a sleeve. I'm not sure if I'll do it but I think part of the reason why I didn't get a tattoo was because I was young and I cared what my mum thinks, and another part was because I was broke and all the other broke people's tattoos didn't look so good

idunnosomename

Cannibal Corpse are a great live band, and they're touring with Revocation, who are fucking blisteringly good

thing with that Corpsegrinder solo coming up, it's basically a Jamey Jasta (Hatebreed) thing with session drummer Nick Bellmore that he did with Dee Snider

Leading with the Acid Vat single with Erik Rutan (Hate Eternal - who I saw supporting Nile but found a bit boring both live and record sorry - but is filling in for Pat O'Brien in CC, as he went a bit bananas) was a canny move really. rest probably wont be as good I suspect. and it wasnt that good. but i am admiting it is stupidly catchy for a death metal song

Fonz

Getting into Nile at the moment

Been watching Kollias videos on YT.
IN. SANE.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Fonz on February 02, 2022, 01:29:16 PMGetting into Nile at the moment

Nile are great! If you bother to seek out the liner notes (or go on genius.com for each album) you can get a little history lesson about Ancient Egypt from Karl Sanders too.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 27, 2022, 10:35:13 PMCannibal Corpse are a great live band

They're far from my favourite band, or even favourite death metal band really, but they're the most consistently solid live act I've ever seen (I've seen them at least 7 or 8 times over the years). There's absolutely nothing fancy about it, but they've figured out exactly what a room full of Cannibal Corpse fans want to see, and they do just that. You can watch any one individual band member and be fascinated by just how technically proficient they are without any "look at me!" antics, although Corpsegrinder's windmilling obviously draws the biggest reactions (as well it might - it really does look as though his head's about to fly off). They also spend a lot of time outside afterwards, making sure to meet every fan who wants to chat with them. I saw Alex Webster quite sternly hold off one of their entourage insisting they leave so he could chat with a fan in a wheelchair who hadn't managed to get through the admiring rabble. Lovely bunch of lads.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 05, 2021, 11:33:26 AMGod I really couldn't think of a better thread title than that eh, fucking hell

Should have gone with "Death Mental".

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Fonz on February 02, 2022, 01:29:16 PMGetting into Nile at the moment

Been watching Kollias videos on YT.
IN. SANE.

Love Nile, everyone tells you to go with Annihilation of the Wicked but Ithyphallic and the latest record without longtime vocalist Dallas Toler Wade are just as good.

YouTube has a documentary about the making of Those Whom The Gods Detest for more in-studio footage -

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 03, 2022, 03:02:13 AMThey're far from my favourite band, or even favourite death metal band really, but they're the most consistently solid live act I've ever seen (I've seen them at least 7 or 8 times over the years). There's absolutely nothing fancy about it, but they've figured out exactly what a room full of Cannibal Corpse fans want to see, and they do just that. You can watch any one individual band member and be fascinated by just how technically proficient they are without any "look at me!" antics, although Corpsegrinder's windmilling obviously draws the biggest reactions (as well it might - it really does look as though his head's about to fly off). They also spend a lot of time outside afterwards, making sure to meet every fan who wants to chat with them. I saw Alex Webster quite sternly hold off one of their entourage insisting they leave so he could chat with a fan in a wheelchair who hadn't managed to get through the admiring rabble. Lovely bunch of lads.

In fact while I'm recommending documentaries on YouTube the feature-length Cannibal Corpse film is also up there and proof that they are indeed lovely lads -

JaDanketies

Nile were a big influence. When I first heard them I could barely believe there could be so much going on in a song. It was like everyone was doing a solo on top of each-other. I remember when my friends bought me a Nile album for my 15th or 16th birthday and gave it me when we were sat on Urbis. They didn't even like Nile, none of em got into metal like me. What a lovely present for some teenagers to get their friend.

Bandcamp Friday! I bought that Plebian Grandstand and a bunch of other stuff. On the metal side, Pensees Nocturnes, who are like carnival black metal, not sure they fit into this thread. But also Skaphe, who sound like "if God took bad cosmic acid, and then proceeded to die from a nightmarish trip in which He realized He was Satan", and then Dark Fog Eruption, who I heard for the first time today and were like a particularly evil low rumbling sound.

boki

New Venom Prison's out today, lads.  I'm three tracks in so far and it's sounding fackin' gnarly.

Steven88

This is actually pretty good, better than I expected from a Foo Fighters metal band anyway.