Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:38:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kida-mnesia

Started by Glyn, September 07, 2021, 05:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purlieu

Quote from: popcorn on September 08, 2021, 03:31:34 PMHere's Jonny Greenwood's wife on Twitter

Hope he doesn't get covid and die
Well it makes a bit of a change from her anti-Palestine stuff.

What are the chances Jonny's not a cunt if he's married to such an openly anti-vax pro-Israel wanker?

buntyman

I've been meaning to get Kid A on vinyl and I really like Amnesiac too so the standard 3LP edition (limited red variant, for a bit of controlled wankery) seems like an OK price.
Some of the other stuff is ludicrously overpriced though, I especially don't understand the cassette pricing. I've recently bought an old Walkman to listen to some cassettes that I'd bought recently (a lot of bands release a cassette of their new album these days that includes a download for about the same price as the download on its own) so I was a potential sucker. I'm generally in favour of releases the various components separately though rather than having everything in a massive box that you have to store separately from the rest of your music.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

If Techmoan is to be believed, you can't even get decent tape players any more. Kid A is among my favourite albums, but this all sounds a bit crap to me.

ProvanFan

Do you think if you wrote to Thom saying you only had £59 plus the £9.99 postage he'd let you off with a quid? Maybe tape over the last song as a compromise.

peanutbutter

Quote from: purlieu on September 08, 2021, 11:28:54 PM
Well it makes a bit of a change from her anti-Palestine stuff.

What are the chances Jonny's not a cunt if he's married to such an openly anti-vax pro-Israel wanker?
Married at like 23, met on the Pablo Honey tour two years earlier. She seems quite... headstrong, and it's not that hard to imagine Greenwood being massively aloof and passive about most things other than music.
Hard to imagine she isn't ocassionally a massively awkward issue between him and some other members of the band at times.

Cassettes are mainly a thing because they're a compact means of having some physical item you can justify paying more for, isn't it? Just a token of your support for the artist?

shiftwork2

Those who actually used cassettes will remember that the sound quality was inferior and the accessibility was ridiculous.  Bemused that this is a thing.  Not a single thing to be said in favour of them.

The Mollusk

A friend of mine is really into goregrind and other really crusty brutal forms of punk/metal, and a lot of those sorts of bands are releasing their stuff on cassette these days. I'd say in terms of the recording/production quality of that specific sound, you're almost certainly guaranteed to not notice any difference between a FLAC file and a cassette tape playing out of the sound system of a 1984 Ford Orion smashed to fuck in a pile up on the M25. So they've got that going for them.

Nothing like the mushy sound of a cassette that's been overplayed. At least if you get bored of Kid Amnesiette you can tape where the tabs used to be and record the chart rundown on Radio 1 on your tape to tape ghetto blaster.

Custard

Quote from: shiftwork2 on September 09, 2021, 03:04:12 AM
Those who actually used cassettes will remember that the sound quality was inferior and the accessibility was ridiculous.  Bemused that this is a thing.  Not a single thing to be said in favour of them.

This is it. I understand the nostalgia aspect, but they were of their time and these days would just sound shit to anyone

Vinyl has had a resurgence because it has the big lovely artwork and the lovely warm sound. CDs still sound great. Cassettes have none of that charm and quality, and are just impractical

60 squids for two tapes I'd say is an ever bigger joke than that recent All Things Must Pass debacle, and maybe I'm naive in that I wouldn't have really expected it from Radiohead

But as others have said, maybe they just don't care anyone and just wanna add more to the ol pension fund

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on September 08, 2021, 08:30:31 AM
£60 for the double cassette! Wild.

It's really disappointing there aren't any b-sides on the triple vinyl. I didn't realise that before I spent £40 on it at 4.01pm. And the double versions of both the albums that were reissued a few years ago sound incredible anyway. Oh well.

Got a refund.

I dug out (i.e. looked for "R" on my shelf) the aforementioned 2016 reissues of Kid A and Amnesiac yesterday. They really do sound remarkable. They're still widely available and there's no way these new versions will sound any better squidged onto one disc each (albeit cut at half speed).

It's a completely unnecessary release.

buzby

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 09, 2021, 01:26:24 AM
If Techmoan is to be believed, you can't even get decent tape players any more. Kid A is among my favourite albums, but this all sounds a bit crap to me.
Anyone who can afford to spaff 60 quid on a pair of tapes can most probably afford the vast sums 'vintage' tape decks are going for (Nakamichi Dragon? £4k to you nowadays, guv).

However, given that the only tape grade that manufactured nowadays is IEC Type I (i.e. 'Normal') it's going to sound a bit shit regardless of what it's played back on.

purlieu

A chrome tape on a decent player sounds nice, very warm, pretty much no hiss. My parents' TEAC deck sounds great, a totally acceptable alternative to vinyl and CD. Cheaper tapes on a ghettoblaster will obviously sound pretty crap, which is how a lot of people will have listened to them in the past.

The whole tape revival thing is a bit weird, though. The format never went away for certain types of music - noise, black metal, drone, other extreme avant-garde DIY stuff - and there were a few things that grew out of the noise tape scene (the whole OPN / Emeralds / Pulse Emitter new age synth thing for example) so they became a bit of a standard format for underground electronic music for a while. There are thousands of DIY tape labels around. Before Bandcamp became as big as it is, a lot of these tapes never received any kind of digital release at all. So lots of them were listened to, rather than just collected. They were just a cheap way of putting out music on an analogue medium. I'm very fond of them, I like the way they look and feel, little pocket-sized releases. They also have the upside that they pretty much force you to listen to albums as albums, as it's such a pain to skip around or just flip back to the start. Even these days it's quite difficult to release DIY stuff on CD, unless you're part of a particular scene, so they're the only realistic alternative to vinyl (a format which is becoming more and more difficult for small labels to use due to rising costs and lead times now being around a year). Almost every physical release I put out these days is on tape because the labels and buyers are out there.

But in the mid-'10s, as with almost any underground thing, it got picked up on by hipsters and ultimately the mainstream. And that became nonsense as anything other than a nostalgic collectible, because there's no other cultural link to anything. They're not weird drone releases that cost £4, with hand-printed J-cards that you can't get on CD or vinyl, so the entire point of them is lost. Vaporwave is partially to blame, but that's another discussion entirely. £60 for two tapes by one of the world's biggest bands is pretty much the antithesis of the appeal of tapes.

popcorn

Yeah I've no objection to tapes still being around - like you say they have all kinds of interesting applications practically and aesthetically. As discussed earlier in the thread the tape made sense for the OKC reissue both as a timewarp and for the type of content it contained.

For Kid A? Wrong in every dimension.

Quote from: peanutbutter on September 09, 2021, 02:57:52 AM
She seems quite... headstrong, and it's not that hard to imagine Greenwood being massively aloof and passive about most things other than music.
Hard to imagine she isn't ocassionally a massively awkward issue between him and some other members of the band at times.

This probably goes some way to explain why the otherwise right-on band performed in Israel a few years ago.

Video Game Fan 2000

Didn't Thom make a bunch of knucklehead anti-Corbyn tweets and delete them?

Not that he'd express an opinion directly "ma giC granjad good...THEY say heheh - Thcock"

popcorn

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on September 09, 2021, 08:28:36 PM
Didn't Thom make a bunch of knucklehead anti-Corbyn tweets and delete them?

don't think so?

Video Game Fan 2000

All I can find is him reblogging some critical stuff and saying he'd vote green instead, and brexit brexit brexit

popcorn

Well he's always been a greenie, he did a green benefit gig back in 2010 or something.

popcorn

Glyn

Quote from: popcorn on September 09, 2021, 10:26:34 PM
Now there is a Radiohead PlayStation game, what fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTn8XodTyck&ab_channel=Radiohead

Its tempting to think this might be where the 'goodies' end up but I still remember the lengths some Radiohead fans went to in convincing themselves that there was a second part of The King of Limbs.

I saw online that someone has found the track times for the 3rd cd and that has confirmed that the untitled tracks are short 'blips' and the string tracks also look like they are just the string samples.  It's very hard to see how those are the best examples of unreleased tracks they could find from this period.

As everyone else has said ,If you just add in all bsides and other previously released tracks (extended version of Treefingers, the I Might Be Wrong live tracks etc) it would be a much more appealing set so it's hard to see the thinking behind it.

I hope they at least use the Public Library again to release some live gigs. I saw them at one of the Newport tent gigs just before KidA and it was one of the few times where a bands new material sounded better than the old songs. Case in point being this version of KidA  from 2000 which is better than the studio version for me:  https://youtu.be/tZhnUWCDuo4

Video Game Fan 2000

There's also the widely shared alternative version of the I Might Be Wrong live EP which would've made for good extras.

Baffling how much of a tossed off cash grab this seems to be. Has anyone heard the version of Follow Me Around yet, is it going to be legit 2000 artcunt Thom with his soaring voice or 2020 zimmerframe perv with a ponytail

popcorn

Quote from: Glyn on September 11, 2021, 02:16:19 PM
I saw online that someone has found the track times for the 3rd cd and that has confirmed that the untitled tracks are short 'blips' and the string tracks also look like they are just the string samples.  It's very hard to see how those are the best examples of unreleased tracks they could find from this period.

It seems likely that the three Untitled tracks are new compositions Nigel created by re-editing various things they recorded in the sessions. As I posted above, apparently one of them is in the Twitter video.

Nigel is also credited for sound design for this video game exhibition thing, and if you listen to the trailer for it on headphones, it does sound pretty wicked - they really did record a lot of brilliant sound effects back then. I suspect the music used in the trailer may even be another of the new Untitled tracks.

I have a feeling that they really have attempted to create a new, third album from all those recordings, which is what we're getting instead of a more straightforward outtakes disk. A very interesting approach, but I think as a logical consequence they couldn't also do an outtakes disk because they were using those outtakes to make this "new" album.

I guess we'll see how it sounds!

I also have a feeling the string tracks aren't going to be "just" the string recordings. I have a feeling the HTDC string thing is going to be Jonny's ondes martenot demo somehow spliced with the actual orchestra. Dunno.

popcorn

Also, the fact that this interactive exhibition thing isn't VR feels like yet another missed opportunity. Wouldn't that have been the ideal vessel?

Rich Uncle Skeleton

finally got round to listening to If You Say The Word which I really liked!

Look forward to hearing this 3rd disc (seems to be getting some decent reviews) and the idea of fashioning a "new" album from outtakes is interesting, but definitely not the reissue I was hoping for.
could easily have chucked all the amnesiac B-sides[nb](plus the extended Life In A Glasshouse and Treefingers)[/nb] on that extra disc, but I guess they're very keen for it to be it's own separate thing which is a pity, would have been nice to have all of that stuff in one place for £15. I know they had their hand forced with the OK Computer leak but part of me hoped for something similar for arguably their most interesting recording period. Had hoped for a bit more than 35 minutes at least.

I thought it was quite funny that the £60(?!) double cassette version is still available. "Radiohead/Limited Edition/Double cassette" just sounds like a wet dream for Radiohead fans, on paper it's exactly the thing that would sell out instantly, but I suppose no amount of fancy card packaging, a booklet and some EXCLUSIVE...incomplete B-sides on side 4 doesn't change the fact they're asking 60 quid for two tapes, stone me. Definitely an air of Harry Enfield's "i saw you coming" guy there. Got to admire the brass neck I guess. Was genuinely surprised they didn't go all out and do it as minidiscs.

peanutbutter

Considering Radiohead left songs like Nude and True Love Waits lying around for absolutely ages before properly releasing them I assume they're not a good fit for reissues in general. Like, there could be some very good cuts from the Kid A sessions they're reluctant to put out purely because they reckon they can make a better go at it at some point in the future.

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on October 30, 2021, 02:50:43 AM
I thought it was quite funny that the £60(?!) double cassette version is still available. "Radiohead/Limited Edition/Double cassette" just sounds like a wet dream for Radiohead fans, on paper it's exactly the thing that would sell out instantly, but I suppose no amount of fancy card packaging, a booklet and some EXCLUSIVE...incomplete B-sides on side 4 doesn't change the fact they're asking 60 quid for two tapes, stone me. Definitely an air of Harry Enfield's "i saw you coming" guy there. Got to admire the brass neck I guess. Was genuinely surprised they didn't go all out and do it as minidiscs.
Would've sold with ease as minidiscs, I reckon. Could've done a deliberately dated mp3 player too.

Video Game Fan 2000

Radiohead are aware a chunk of their fans are more interested in the process than the records themselves and seem irritated by it.

Putting new vocals over the outtakes seems like determination to keep control over their material. It's a real shame. The fact this was teased for ages a "reimagining" or a complete collections does make me wonder if the contents were still being argued about pretty late in the day and the paultry selection was a compromise. I'd have to have been the poor sods who had to work with Thom Yorke after the mini-disc leaks. He didn't seem happy.

popcorn

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on October 30, 2021, 03:15:47 PM
Putting new vocals over the outtakes seems like determination to keep control over their material.

I don't think there's any indication that they've done this.

Video Game Fan 2000

The Big Boots from the OK Computer reissue certainly sounds like it.

popcorn

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on October 30, 2021, 03:37:56 PM
The Big Boots from the OK Computer reissue certainly sounds like it.

That song is a consistent point of confusion and debate.

That version Big Boots/Man of War is at least partly new. We know this because among its production credits is an engineer (Sam Petts Davis) who would have been, like, 5 years old or something in 1997. Additionally, Robert Ziegler is credited for conducting, and his only other Radiohead credit is for The King of Limbs (2011), so he likely had nothing to do with any earlier incarnations of the song.

Radiohead wrote the song in the 90s, but returned to it when they were asked to do the theme for the Bond movie Spectre.So they either used old recordings and added stuff (like the orchestra), or - more likely IMO - they rerecorded the entire thing from scratch. Then when it was rejected (along with their other Bond song, Spectre) I assume they decided its 90s roots made it good fodder for the OK Computer reissue.

In other words I think that song was an outlier. It wasn't "oh let's fix up this old recording and overdub some stuff and put it out on the reissue". It was "oh we have this finished song that now doesn't have a home, but this 20th-anniversary reissue is a convenient place for it".

I guess we'll see what's on this new reissue but I'm not expecting them to have gone back and fiddled with tracks, except for one of two collage-like tracks Nigel (?) seems to have made as a sort of personal remix project.

Video Game Fan 2000

I think the confusion came from the assumption that it was going to be the same version recorded for the Avengers soundtrack.