Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:21:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Histor's Eye

Started by Catalogue Trousers, October 16, 2021, 09:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catalogue Trousers

So, surfing that YouTube last night, I found a playlist of the Histor's Eye segments from This Morning With Richard Not Judy.

I started watching them and didn't stop until every one had played.

The humour is marvellous, cruel, childish and clever all at once. The conceit of this somehow being a Sky TV production always makes me laugh, although I don't see why the audience usually go into hysterics at Histor's revolving eye in all of the early episodes but never seem to laugh at the funny stuff.

Anyway, I just thought that Histor and Pliny deserved a thread of their own because they're brilliant.

EGG! Egg, egg, like a hen's egg, I hate hens, etc

Ham Bap

idunnosomename

it's funny how weak the title pun is... histor's eye. histor... y

and I've said before, love how Herring plays the straight man and Lee the fool. great performances. they also did the puppetry didn't they? link me to the playlist you coward.

Catalogue Trousers

bgmnts

One of the big laughs for me is that one of them is called Pliny.

idunnosomename

i could just watch anything with Paul Putner and Kevin Eldon

Catalogue Trousers

'Egg feather bird oeuf tit!'

non capisco

I don't know how he feels about it but I think Pliny is still possibly the pinnacle of Stewart Lee's career, ahahaha caw-rear, like a bird's rear.

madhair60

HISTOR WHAT PLACE IS THIS.

Wonderful Butternut

What is a UFO, Histor? Even though I have a full working knowledge of skilled medical procedures I HAVE NEVER HEARD THE PHRASE UFO BEFORE!!!

I didn't really appreciate the quality of this when it was on.

Video Game Fan 2000

highlight of TWMRNJ, after the Organ Gang of course

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on October 16, 2021, 10:51:03 PM
Guardian reader, eh?

St. George is horrible, he hurt my bird's eye, like an Ei, the German word for egg.

DrGreggles

It'd be unfortunate in some respects if Histor's Eye was the best thing L&H ever did, but it kind of was.

non capisco

I think it probably was. One sketch ended with Pliny smashing Histor's eggs with a cricket bat going "Ahahaha! Destroy all human and animal life!". Excellent morning TV entertainment.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I like how the only relatively non-tortured pun Pliny makes (looks like I embry-OWE you an apology!) comes right after he's just murdered Histor's unborn children.

non capisco

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on October 16, 2021, 11:33:03 PM
I like how the only relatively non-tortured pun Pliny makes (looks like I embry-OWE you an apology!) comes right after he's just murdered Histor's unborn children.

I like how that one actually gets a seemingly genuine audience groan for some reason.

Replies From View

idunnosomename

i think you have to factor some of the audience sounds into editing, and why there's a laugh over the eye transition. they might have screened it to the audience but doesn't mean they used the live reactions to it.

AsparagusTrevor

I nearly bought a car a while ago simply because the first half of the reg was EG66 (I mean, it did fulfil several of my other criteria too, I'm not totally crazy).

Histor & Pliny (and TMWRNJ in general) ruined me. It doesn't take much for my head to jump to a laboured bird pun, decades later.

It was definitely a formative show for me. It was around the time I was in senior school, I would've been 14-15 maybe. Watching it on Sunday afternoon, it always felt a bit naughty, like how were they getting away with it, and by extension, how was I? My friend and I would be quoting it on Monday morning, to the bafflement of pretty much everyone else.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

"But Histor, what about those people who use canard beak for pain relief from such diseases as multiple sclerosis?"

"The truth is that cannabis causes multiple sclerosis! You're much better off with a nice cigarette and a bottle of rum."

Avril Lavigne

'The Feathered Knees' (seventies) is still my favourite pun of all time.

non capisco

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on October 16, 2021, 11:43:56 PM
Histor & Pliny (and TMWRNJ in general) ruined me. It doesn't take much for my head to jump to a laboured bird pun, decades later.

D'egg-cades LAY-ter!

Replies From View

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 16, 2021, 11:40:06 PM
i think you have to factor some of the audience sounds into editing, and why there's a laugh over the eye transition. they might have screened it to the audience but doesn't mean they used the live reactions to it.

My understanding of TMWRNJ was that they wanted to minimise the kind of reshooting and editing they needed to do for Fist of Fun.

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 16, 2021, 09:47:24 PM
it's funny how weak the title pun is... histor's eye. histor... y

Histor-ei like ei which is German for egg

Egg-it: someone else did that one too, apolo-geese like the flock of birds geese

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on October 16, 2021, 11:43:56 PM
I nearly bought a car a while ago simply because the first half of the reg was EG66 (I mean, it did fulfil several of my other criteria too, I'm not totally crazy).

It was definitely a formative show for me. It was around the time I was in senior school, I would've been 14-15 maybe. Watching it on Sunday afternoon, it always felt a bit naughty, like how were they getting away with it, and by extension, how was I? My friend and I would be quoting it on Monday morning, to the bafflement of pretty much everyone else.

Yes, me too - it was on in my GCSE year, and first year of Sixth Form.  Used to watch it badly hungover in bed, which meant that many years later I could re-watch it on YouTube with a broken enough memory that it was like watching it for the first time.

Shame that the Herring - Lee relationship has deteriorated so publicly over the last couple of years.  There was a viciousness in some of Lee's comments not long ago which I just found depressing.

Bernice

Does Pliny never say "crow-n up news ahaha"?

Edit: oh, he does, in the euro one.

Ferris

Quote from: non capisco on October 16, 2021, 10:26:39 PM
"As the egg....eggs!"

Always liked that one. Hope it was ad-libbed.

MrsWarboysLover

Quote from: TheBrownBottle on October 17, 2021, 06:08:32 AM
There was a viciousness in some of Lee's comments not long ago which I just found depressing.
I actually kind of agree with Stewart Lee's take on Herring, but it was really depressing and unpleasant to see him airing those opinions, and in the manner he did. He doesn't seem to have ever liked Richard at all even as a person. I get the feeling Herring is fond of Lee but it was never reciprocal.