Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 729
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:34:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia ~ Season 15

Started by Mobius, November 04, 2021, 03:10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

Just a reminder that this starts today, I think the episodes drop in a few hours? And they're releasing 2 episodes so that's nice.

Ferris

I'll also mention I've been off the show for the last few seasons but the podcast has been brilliant and will likely pull me back in for this.

Lewman

Thought the second episode was better than the first. However neither were especially funny.

Got a bad feeling about this season :/

selectivememory

Really enjoyed the second episode. Very meta, but not in an annoying way, and plenty of good jokes. But the first episode was a bit of a dud, although I did enjoy Charlie and Dee's bits in that one.

The Giggling Bean

Could someone PM me the best place to watch this new series please.

Thank you

RHX

Can't imagine it was cheap to get the rights to use Gimme Shelter, mind

The Giggling Bean

Never mind, I found them and watched them. I wasn't howling and this wasn't grade A Sunny...but I did enjoy having the gang back. I did like the final scene of episode one where they were pasted into the news footage. I also liked
Spoiler alert
the concept of them being contributing factors to the chaos of the election. Charlie and Dee providing the buffalo costume did make me laugh
[close]

I was very curious to see how they were going to tackle another Lethal Weapon. I must have nodded off in the middle as it jumped from filming LW7 to Dennis dating different girls. Wasn't particularly impressed with that one.

Dog Botherer

thought the first one was solid but the second one was great, haven't laughed that much in a while.

was that the first use of "cunt" on the show? i think there was another but i'm not sure.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Dog Botherer on December 03, 2021, 03:17:57 AMthought the first one was solid but the second one was great, haven't laughed that much in a while.

was that the first use of "cunt" on the show? i think there was another but i'm not sure.

They use it in Hero or Hate Crime? too.

Really enjoyed those 2 eps, not stone cold classics but nowhere near on par with the few duds they've made the past few seasons. Very glad to have them back.

up_the_hampipe

The Dennis dating sequence in episode two was probably one of my favourite things they've done in a while. In more recent episodes, they tend to sound a bit too aware of social issues and it appears inconsistent with the characters, so it was comforting for that to firmly establish that they'll always be bastards.

chveik

Quote from: Lewman on December 02, 2021, 08:43:53 AMThought the second episode was better than the first. However neither were especially funny.

Got a bad feeling about this season :/

yep. looks like there's going to be 4 episodes in ireland

Dannyhood91

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on December 02, 2021, 05:06:39 PMCould someone PM me the best place to watch this new series please.

Thank you

Could I also have a link please thank you

Ferris

The Giggling Bean

Episodes 3 and 4 are up. Episode 3, the Roller Rink ep didn't really do much for me. So far in the series it's been smiles and chuckles rather than laughs. I wasn't sure if the events were simply Charlie's fantasy, they seemed to be his recollection and we know he's an unreliable narrator.

Episode 4, The gang replace Dee with a Monkey did make me laugh. Dee turning Psycho is always funny. The titular monkey always made me laugh especially when one of them said "Thanks Monkey". Macs reaction at the end when they find out what the Monkey did cracked me up. This one is leading into the Ireland Episodes.

Another use of the word Cunt as well.

Anyone else seen them?

selectivememory

The monkey episode was pretty good, yeah. 

Roller rink one was weird. I enjoyed it, and there were some decent gags, but it was pretty daft and also at odds with what we know about the gang's history.

AsparagusTrevor

I haven't had time to watch the monkey one yet but I watched the roller-rink episode. I honestly thought this was one of the worst episodes of the series.

I think it was mainly the continuity stuff that riled me, that's something they're usually pretty consistent with, they've spent a lot of time and effort building up their little universe. The 'Sweet' Dee retcon stuff was especially insulting. I'd like to believe it was Charlie's status as an unreliable narrator but I would've thought they'd be more overt if that was the case. It'll definitely be one that gets skipped on future rewatches.

I'm glad to hear it sounds like the next episode is better, I was quite dispirited after watching episode 3.

I'm enjoying the podcast, they're up to the last episode of season 1 now.

AngryGazelle

Where are you guys who are in the UK watching this?

Mobius

I just torrented it

I thought both episodes were shit.

neveragain

Nooo no no. Monkey episode was great, felt close to the quality of the vintage eps to me (particularly Dee's scenes in their awfulness). The monkey beer scenes were just delightful.

Roller rink episode I also thought was decent but with some issues (mainly historical).

Vitalstatistix

I saw that AV Club was saying Roller Rink ep was 'worst Sunny ever' so I was expecting an absolute shitshow. I thought it was sweet and amusing, despite the weird retconning. To be honest I guess I just don't really care about continuity and canon with a show like this.

Yes, the cause of Dee's personality defects being solely down to bashing her head makes no sense, but her behaviour afterwards was fucking funny.

As for the monkey ep, yeah, good stuff! Charlie not understanding how cities and states work was a highlight, along with Olson's performance as Dee became power-mad with her acting students. 

up_the_hampipe

Episode 3 was far from the worst episode ever. Some funny moments. They have certainly done a lot worse in terms of concept episodes.

Ep 4 was great though, felt like old Sunny. The monkey handing them drinks at the edge of the frame was funny every time. Top shelf Dennis delivery with "Go where?! Purple is not a place!" We might have seen Dee at her most twisted as well, Olson is fantastic.

Sebastian Cobb

howelled at Frank's
Spoiler alert
'possbly fucked our mouths'
[close]
line and the subsequent mannerisms.

wrec

Thought both episodes were great, especially the monkey one. Though was a bit irked by the
Spoiler alert
Fatty Arbuckle line as the poor fucker was stitched up
[close]
Maybe helped that I've forgotten whatever bits of canon were contradicted by episode 3.

Ant Farm Keyboard

There was a lot of stuff from the high school reunion episodes that contradicts this episode. Dee, for instance, was bitter and unpopular due to the apparatus she had to wear.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 11, 2021, 02:04:50 PMhowelled at Frank's
Spoiler alert
'possbly fucked our mouths'
[close]
line and the subsequent mannerisms.

That really hit me out of nowhere. Hilarious.

BeardFaceMan

They fucked with the continuity so much in that ep I can only assume that it was an intentional joke.

The Giggling Bean

So, the gang is in Ireland now. I'm finding this series to be warm smiles rather than belly laughs. There's only been a few times I've genuinely laughed out loud. That's not to say I'm not enjoying it but there's no stand out classic episode so far...although the monkey one comes close.

The scene
Spoiler alert
with Dee and Dennis renting the castle, and Dee explaining how Dennis is a serial masturbator they lock in the basement to the renter while he's coughing
[close]
had me keeling over. I thought that was hysterical.
Hey
I also laughed at the scene
Spoiler alert
where Mac is fantasising about the priest
[close]

I was quite surprised by the end of that episode with Dennis and Dee...it turned very dark.

Looking forward to the next couple of episodes to see how the Ireland trip concludes.

neveragain

Crikey, that last scene with Dee and Dennis. How's that going to be resolved? The following final scene left me feeling quite sad.

As said above, I'm finding it more warm and comforting than laugh out loud funny (not that it's completely free of laughs so just ignore that actually) but the plots have surprised me a few times, as the show often used to do quite well.

How did the cat get 'fused'?

The Giggling Bean

Exactly, the switch between comedy and horror/drama was unexpected. Likewise the final scene was quite sad, although I'm sure they'll hit a reset button and everything will go back to the way it was.

I must admit I thought taking the gang out of Philly would have been a gimmick but I think it's worked quite well. I did laugh out loud when
Spoiler alert
Dennis is driving and talking to the others the screams "Get Fucked" to another motorist
[close]

I still enjoy watching it and it's still a highlight for me each year. The podcast is pretty good as well, there's a lot of interesting behind the scenes info. It's just nice to hear 3 friends hanging out.

Sebastian Cobb

Not watched them yet, but I did notice it took almost 24 hours to appear on any torrent sites which was a little weird.

I notice the version Sonarr automatically pulled in was ripped from Hulu rather than FX, bit weird.

Sorry boring nerd shit.