Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:21:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Garth Brooks

Started by George White, November 26, 2021, 12:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George White

Anyone going?

Yes, I know people who are.
Irish people (in certain areas') obsession with country music is one of the more baffling national quirks. https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/music-news/garth-brooks-irish-fans-set-to-splash-30m-on-tickets-after-full-run-of-five-shows-confirmed-41087464.html

Malcy

I was living in Cork when he cancelled gigs years ago. It was all anyone talked about for WEEKS if not MONTHS. The pubs had talk radio on constantly where it was being discussed at length like it was some sort of national emergency. I was baffled by it.

George White

Yes, my mother has said, "I went to see him in 1994. Why would I want to see him when he's old and fat?"
She told me people are going to see all five concerts.

I feel sorry for the people of Drumcondra having to put up with listening to him.

The internet says he's worth $400bn. It's not like he needs the money.

Pauline Walnuts

Weren't they were going to only let him play 3 dates of the 5 so he cancelled the whole lot? They must have relented, or was that a different time?

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on November 26, 2021, 10:09:33 PMWeren't they were going to only let him play 3 dates of the 5 so he cancelled the whole lot? They must have relented, or was that a different time?

That was last time, it was around 2014. Aitken Promotions initially went with 2 nights, but bumped it to 5 due to demand before they had actually secured a license for 5 nights. And then Dublin City Council only granted them a license for 3 nights. Offhand I can't remember whether that was just due to resident's complaints or because of constraints around the number of events Croke Park was actually allowed to have per year under the terms of the Planning Permission for the redevelopment. Brooks came out and said "5 nights or GTFO", but the Council and An Bord Pleanala didn't budge. So he opted for GTFO.

The same 2 to 5 boost has happened this time too and resident's groups in the Drumcondra area aren't too happy this time either, but I don't think there's any serious suggestion it'll be pulled again.

Tbf, I don't think I'd want to listen to this boring shithead play 5 concerts next door me either. Even without all the drunk 60 year olds falling out of the place after he's finally shut the fuck up each night.

DrGreggles

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on November 26, 2021, 10:22:29 PMThey had actually secured a license for 5 nights. And then Dublin City Council only granted them a license for 3 nights....

..Brooks came out and said "5 nights or GTFO"

That's it in a nutshell. Though by that point they'd already sold 400,000 tickets or thereabouts.  I think you're right about the planning permission thing, and if I recall there was some mad scramble by councillors / opportunist politicians to try and get the law changed so that all 5 nights could go ahead.

I don't think the residents were all that arsed aside from the usual cranks which any neighbourhood association harbours. I'm from nearby and it's not like people aren't used to massive crowds / events at Croke Park. I wasn't living there at the time, though, and can't recall all the details.

What I can remember is the wall-to-wall coverage in the Irish media. It was fucking insane. I think the whole affair received more airtime and analysis than the Good Friday Agreement.

Quote from: RTE"While businesses are counting the cost, they also say the lasting damage to Ireland's reputation is unquantifiable."

^ In case the above quote didn't lend enough gravitas, they then go live to the Lord Mayor of Dublin for his take.

George White

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 26, 2021, 10:30:51 PMIt's 'Crooks', mate.
If it was Crooks, I'd probably genuinely go.

jobotic

Pfft. I remember when Steve Claridge sold out Hampden ten nights running.

BlodwynPig

Shit Good Nose

Saw him in Bristol in the late 90s (when he scored a couple of middling hits in the main UK hit parade) with a mate who was (is) a fan.  Literally remember nothing about it.