Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:30:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Third Banger In A Row From Wet Leg!

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, December 01, 2021, 08:46:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gilbertharding

Quote from: Vitamin C on December 03, 2021, 10:59:19 AMWould you be asking a similar question if it was written from a male perspective? I seriously doubt it.

I don't understand the question.

Seriously - I'm trying to imagine how I would feel about an indie band comprised of young men, singing songs apparently designed to arouse feelings in middle aged women. Is that what you mean?

I have no idea how I'd feel or what (if anything) I'd have say about it on cookdandbombd.co.uk.

I'll come clean - I don't like this band. They seem to me like a pastiche of the kind of band friends of mine liked 30 years ago, so consequently I haven't listened to anything they've done apart from The Chaise Loungue Song.

Vitamin C

This is a thread where men tut at women for writing about sex and try to second guess their motivations. It's like music industry sexism bingo in here. We've even got the old "must be a male somewhere pulling the strings" cliche. 

So one of them was in another band and is now in this band. It's hardly earth shattering news. Yes they have a logo and are signed to Domino, who are doing their bit to promote them. None of this is out of the ordinary.

gilbertharding

Fair enough. I take your point. I must try harder.

It's OK to think they're a bit shit though, is it?

The Mollusk

Quote from: studpuppet on December 03, 2021, 11:35:09 AMI suppose it's difficult to make headway during a period of time when there's no live gigging, so clever marketing/exposure is all the more important

Being a half-decent band would have helped eliminate a lot of that faff.

studpuppet

Quote from: Cuellar on December 03, 2021, 11:42:22 AMI don't think I'd be being overconfident if I said that literally (and I mean literally) no one has ever referred to it as that, ever. Not even these people.

Perhaps it's another saucy allusion for the dads...

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on December 03, 2021, 11:23:06 AMDo the young people nowadays call university 'schools' and degrees 'the big D'?

Your Mum calls it the big D.

Pranet

Quote from: turnstyle on December 03, 2021, 10:29:52 AMAlso, I think that CaB favourites Idles are directly responsible for birthing Wet Leg:

"The duo formed atop a Ferris wheel, after watching a particularly rowdy IDLES set at End of the Road festival in 2019 and deciding that being up on stage looked like a pretty good time."

That makes sense they are End of the Road in human form.

pigamus

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on December 03, 2021, 08:24:29 AMWell, their second single was actually called " Wet Dream", and the current 'un contains the line " shave my rat", so you could be on to something.
Hmmmm....it's a bit depressing to consider the calculatedness going on with this bunch, to be honest.

They got that off William G. Stewart on Fifteen to One

"Go away, enjoy the summer holidays, shave your rat, come back and see us in the autumn"

Johnny Foreigner

I have it on good authority that 'Chaise Longue' is currently being played regularly at Musselburgh gym.

buzby

Quote from: turnstyle on December 03, 2021, 10:29:52 AMAlso, I think that CaB favourites Idles are directly responsible for birthing Wet Leg:

"The duo formed atop a Ferris wheel, after watching a particularly rowdy IDLES set at End of the Road festival in 2019 and deciding that being up on stage looked like a pretty good time."

As I mentioned in my quote earlier, though they had been playing together before that, as Teasdale had roped Chambers in to accompany her on guitar for gigs when she was doing the rounds as a solo artist.

chveik

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

SteveDave

I dreamt a Wet Leg song last night (or this morning)

Keith Richards and Brian Jones
Both guitarists for the Rolling Stones
Both boyfriends of Anita P
A double-L E-N-B-E-R-G

*Post-Punk Guitars*

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: The Mollusk on December 03, 2021, 12:52:23 PMBeing a half-decent band would have helped eliminate a lot of that faff.

The music industry being a flawless meritocracy, in which the cream rises effortlessly to the top.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on December 06, 2021, 10:56:53 AMThe music industry being a flawless meritocracy, in which the cream rises effortlessly to the top.

Alright then it might have helped. You know what I was getting at. They're shite, I was having a dig, and that's okay.

Pauline Walnuts

The 'Leg's Chaise Longue won the 'spiritual heir to John Peel's Festive Fifty' on Dandelion Radio, it comes from listeners votes.

http://www.dandelionradio.com/festive50.htm

Probably listeners too scared by the modern stuff on BBC radio 6.

The Mollusk

Great, a piss dribble song for a dead nonce

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on January 02, 2022, 09:01:49 PMThe 'Leg's Chaise Longue won the 'spiritual heir to John Peel's Festive Fifty' on Dandelion Radio, it comes from listeners votes.

http://www.dandelionradio.com/festive50.htm

Probably listeners too scared by the modern stuff on BBC radio 6.

Never heard of this station. Why does the website look like it was last updated in 1996? They should go the whole hog and have it play an embedded midi of Teenage Kicks.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on January 03, 2022, 01:31:57 AMNever heard of this station. Why does the website look like it was last updated in 1996? They should go the whole hog and have it play an embedded midi of Teenage Kicks.

The music they played on the top 50 sounded like it was from 1996. Which you may like, dependant on your politics, I guess.

Kankurette

This is probably not the time to admit I quite like them.

fucking ponderous

I would be genuinely interested in hearing a band of young men trying to arouse feelings in middle aged women. I actually can't think of any artists that fit that description. Pulp? Bands have historically wanted to fuck young women.

Wet Leg are fine and very derivative but what guitar music isn't these days and I guarantee they're an industry plant. Immediate success on their first single, is that correct? Yeah.
"Chaise Lounge" (only song I've heard by them) is fun and has been stuck in my head. The chorus to it is almost identical to the chorus of the 2-guys-from-Fugazi-and-the-wife-of-one-of-them band Coriky's song "Clean Kill" but it's not like it's an especially brilliant unique chorus so it's probably a coincidence. I'll probably listen to The Wet Leg Album upon release.

gilbertharding

Quote from: fucking ponderous on January 06, 2022, 02:02:36 AMI would be genuinely interested in hearing a band of young men trying to arouse feelings in middle aged women.

We did this, and I think I lost the argument. If you want another go, fair enough.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: fucking ponderous on January 06, 2022, 02:02:36 AMI would be genuinely interested in hearing a band of young men trying to arouse feelings in middle aged women. I actually can't think of any artists that fit that description.

Eoin McLove.

gilbertharding

Well, if we're pulling at that string, then the definitive answer is the 2005-06 incarnation of Take That, surely? They were only 5-7 years older than the Wet Leg people are now, if we're quibbling about 'young'.

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 06, 2022, 10:14:49 AMWell, if we're pulling at that string, then the definitive answer is the 2005-06 incarnation of Take That, surely? They were only 5-7 years older than the Wet Leg people are now, if we're quibbling about 'young'.

Not sure that works, as the reformed Take That was primarily designed to milk the money of 30-40 year old mums who remembered them from first time around.

Nope, it has to be Wet Wet Wet for me, Clive.