Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:04:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Third Banger In A Row From Wet Leg!

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, December 01, 2021, 08:46:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on February 03, 2022, 09:38:34 PMWet Leg Bloke, it's not even as good as Sleeper Bloke is it? Poor sods.

i wouldn't have minded being known as "that Lush Bloke". put a spring in anyone's step :)

"Yeah...music's all been SHIT since Carter, hasn't it. No, no. Don't even try to persuade me otherwise, we all know popular culture peaked with Sheriff Fatman and nothing since then can even come close. I am entirely adamant on this point."

"Wait, what's this...Chaise Lounge...? Weeeeell, I suppose I'll give it a go even know even though it can't be any good as it has neither Jimbob nor Fruitbat involved in any capacity..."

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

^ who sent that text? me? Steve Lamacq?

( I know the obvious answer here is " No, Gary Walker", but I just want to make another contribution to this lively thread. I dare say there are people out there who would accuse this video of being a teensy weensy bit self- congratulatory, unless there have also been some texts put up saying things like " I think you're a load of old shit, cheers")

I'm still happy to defend Hester, Her Who Looks Like Liz Truss' Daughter and The Wetlads,  and will stand by my praise of the three songs and videos that preceded this 'un, btw.

Butchers Blind

This is desperate stuff and musically shows a lack of nous. I wish them well.

shiftwork2

Camp Tramp

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on February 03, 2022, 11:14:03 PMi wouldn't have minded being known as "that Lush Bloke". put a spring in anyone's step :)

One of the Lush blokes committed suicide.

gilbertharding

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 04, 2022, 10:08:51 AMI don't get it.

Nothing to get really, just an opportunity to bask in the desolation of another human being proudly stating their only enjoyment of music made in the last thirty years has come from Wet Leg and Carter USM.

gilbertharding

Shit - I've only just seen that Gary Walker was the name of the guy who liked Carter and Wet Leg in that screen shot. Fucking hell - I'm sorry everyone.

I even googled 'Gary Walker' in case it was some meme or something - all I got was a policeman who might not have murdered his girlfriend after all.

I got into a bit of bother on the TotP thread with someone who likes Carter.

phantom_power

I really like Carter but it is very funny that someone a) sees them as the last great band b) thinks nothing good has happened since and c) think Wet Leg are their heir apparents

Kankurette

Carter haven't done anything of note for 30 years. That tweet is so very deso.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

God this latest one is shite. watched a video of them playing in New York and they said they're not used to playing "Oh No" as they usually played short support slots, which makes sense listening to it I guess. the fact that essentially a gap filler you'd have tossed off for a b-side back in the day is being offered up as a single with those lyrics intact is wild.

I'll admit if I didn't read this thread I'd probably not be so annoyed by them. I do like some of their music but the whole bumpkins who came from nowhere legend that obviously isn't true is tiresome.

poodlefaker

I'm only a 54 your old ruddy bloke, bopping around the kitchen with a bottle o'Hobgoblin and a microwaved naan bread, but in the humble opinion of yours bloody truly, these guys are SMAAAAASHIN IT!

The Mollusk

Quote from: Camp Tramp on February 04, 2022, 10:04:55 AMOne of the Lush blokes committed suicide.

Quote from: poodlefaker on February 04, 2022, 03:33:45 PMI'm only a 54 your old ruddy bloke, bopping around the kitchen with a bottle o'Hobgoblin and a microwaved naan bread, but in the humble opinion of yours bloody truly, these guys are SMAAAAASHIN IT!

Big laughs at both of these posts.

Famous Mortimer

I feel largely the same about the Linda Lindas, who got on the news for playing a gig in their local library about sexism and racism at their school. A noble pursuit, but almost all the press about it neglected to mention they were already signed to Epitaph, had appeared in an Amy Poehler movie, two of them are the daughters of a Grammy-winning producer, and they'd already toured with at least one pretty big name as a support act. It felt like a coordinated bit of press manipulation.

Now, I'd take the Linda Lindas every day over this shower, of course, but I tire of these promotional tactics.

gilbertharding

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

In defense of the video, she does look like she's having fun stomping around in a big floor mop.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

yeah, realised I was walking right into that response :/

The Mollusk

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 04, 2022, 04:30:15 PMhttps://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=92599.0

The drummer from Lush hanged himself.

Aye I know, it was the sudden switch from an offhand and cute comment into a really bleak fact that caught me off guard. Not quite dead swan levels of funny but still got me.

imitationleather

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 04, 2022, 03:58:23 PMI feel largely the same about the Linda Lindas, who got on the news for playing a gig in their local library about sexism and racism at their school. A noble pursuit, but almost all the press about it neglected to mention they were already signed to Epitaph, had appeared in an Amy Poehler movie, two of them are the daughters of a Grammy-winning producer, and they'd already toured with at least one pretty big name as a support act. It felt like a coordinated bit of press manipulation.

Now, I'd take the Linda Lindas every day over this shower, of course, but I tire of these promotional tactics.

I agree with that although I'd say The Linda Lindas are only marginally better than Wet Leg based on the couple of songs of theirs I've heard.

Kankurette

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 04, 2022, 03:58:23 PMI feel largely the same about the Linda Lindas, who got on the news for playing a gig in their local library about sexism and racism at their school. A noble pursuit, but almost all the press about it neglected to mention they were already signed to Epitaph, had appeared in an Amy Poehler movie, two of them are the daughters of a Grammy-winning producer, and they'd already toured with at least one pretty big name as a support act. It felt like a coordinated bit of press manipulation.

Wasn't there all that big hooha about Sandi Thom back in 2006, about how she was discovered on MySpace, and it all turned out to be bullshit?

Famous Mortimer

Bloody hell, there's a name I've not heard in a while.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on February 04, 2022, 03:03:52 PMGod this latest one is shite.

TBF, this song was coupled with their last " official" release ( I suppose the phrase " B- Side/ Double A-Side" is obsolete nowadays). The video's new though, probably made to keep them in the public eye before they put the album out. Might have been an idea to put the album out earlier, really.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

At least they read some of their YouTube comments. I often feel like I'm pissing in the wind on there, lost in a sea of 10,000 comments. Maybe I'll belittle them on their next video and they might see it. I'm thinking something like "Isle Of Shite" would be rather cutting.

Jockice

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 04, 2022, 11:06:20 PMBloody hell, there's a name I've not heard in a while.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 04, 2022, 11:06:20 PMBloody hell, there's a name I've not heard in a while.

There's a name I didn't want to hear ever again. Her follow-up I Wish I Was A Mod (With Long Hair And A Leather Jacket) flopped thankfully.

Another artist allegedly 'discovered' on MySpace of course was Lily Allen. I remember reading an early article on her and thinking she sounded quite interesting - and then it said near the end that she was the daughter of alleged comedian Keith. Having that wanker connected to her and the showbiz leeway it would have brought was a very big barrier to me. I let her off though. The sins of the father etc.

Quote from: Kankurette on February 04, 2022, 11:01:39 PMWasn't there all that big hooha about Sandi Thom back in 2006, about how she was discovered on MySpace, and it all turned out to be bullshit?

Yeah, there was a lot of guff about how she'd built a massive following purely on the back of livestreaming from her basement and got signed by RCA off the back of it but that wasn't quite the whole story.

In fact she'd already signed a record deal prior to that with a smaller label, Viking Legacy (of which her mother happened to be director), and the first attempt to release "I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker" was a flop that got no attention. The idea of live streaming a "tour" from her basement was a bit of ingenious publicity to get the attention of the major labels, and it worked although the number of people who actually watched the streams was probably wildly exaggerated.

She also already had a publishing deal for her songs and was signed to PR company Quite Great whose clients include Mariah Carey & Chris Rea, so the idea of her coming from nowhere to top the charts was just all part of the hype really.

Guardian article from the time about it: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2006/may/31/news.media

Kankurette

Punk rockers don't even wear flowers in their hair.