Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:09:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Toast of Tinseltown

Started by paruses, December 14, 2021, 01:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Freaked out a bit, a friend of mine who I haven't seen in decades was playing Ashes To Ashes Bowie.

Attila

Nice callback to the painting of his pal Francis Bacon's father (originally seen in series 2, episode 6). Pointed this out to Mr Attila who had no idea what I was talking about.

But then again, had a raging argument with him that Toast's LA agent is played by
Spoiler alert
Doon McKichan
[close]

SteveDave

What's up with Doon Mackichan's eye? Her left one looks all puffy and inflamed.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: SteveDave on January 06, 2022, 10:27:38 AMWhat's up with Doon Mackichan's eye? Her left one looks all puffy and inflamed.

Yeah, I wondered that too on the first episode. I thought it was setting up something.

I was wondering if I hadn't noticed it before and it was part of the character,  it looks fine in the new series of Two Doors Down.

Bad Ambassador

Loved that the actor doing a perfect impression of
Spoiler alert
Edward Fox
[close]
was
Spoiler alert
his own son.
[close]

shiftwork2

This has been a little source of joy in this murky month.  I'm up to 3.  I always liked the timeless fantasy London in Toast and its LA counterpart is just as pleasant.

Cuellar

Watched the first 2 two last night. Not sure what to make of it. I'm enjoying it, and I like that they've really leaned into the 70s aesthetic. The folk-horrory music when Toast arrives at Wigwam's.

And it's very weird, which is nice. The bit where
Spoiler alert
Fred Armisen is staring through the bedroom door while Toast is sleeping
[close]
made me laugh.

All the cameos though...quite jarring. I guess people like Paul Rudd have 'alternative' comedy credentials (Tim and Eric).

I'm assuming that the Lynchian tone is due to
Spoiler alert
this all being some sort of hallucination or fever dream and that Ray Purchase actually put HIM in the hospital. It's all a bit Mulholland Drive.
[close]

the science eel

Enjoyable but few laughs.

Love the opening credit sequence

Shaky

Yeah, this is very watchable but weirdly laugh free. I can't tell how intentional the off-ness is. Feels like a very different program at times and Toast seems too likeable.

It's all a bit like a movie.version of a 70s TV series - not as good and all over the place but again, Mathews and Berry would be savy enough to know that.

Poobum

I love the idea that this must mean that Larry David is a fan of the show and would have sat there wondering who the fuck Bruce Forsythe was.

paruses

Watched 1 + 2 the other night. Mostly agree with the more negative posts on this. It seems quite flat at the moment despite the odd good belly laugh. Is very good that everyone can still play the characters after all this time, particularly Matt Berry.

Agree that the volume of cameos (or guest actors  or big(ger) name actors) is a bit jarring. Also didn't recognise Rashida Jones until she spoke English but weirdly immediately spotted
Spoiler alert
Doon
[close]
. Also think they haven't got he weird names quite right. They seem too try hard and stand out. Des Wigwam though is brilliant - I would happily change my username to Des Wigwam. K Novak excellent as Des too. Really laughed at the
Spoiler alert
don't say it out loud
[close]
bit. Is Sue Pipkins an old recurring character?

Loads of bits I did like. Love the timeless feel as usual, love the US being exactly as Toast imagined it
Spoiler alert
cue leggy women in Stars and Stipes bikinis marching past with assault rifles in the background
[close]
, love Fred Armisen's weirdness, love that general sense of foreboding and uneasiness, love the fact that his tiny room in LA still has an Oriel window for some reason.

the science eel

Are some of the names in the closing credits pseudonyms? ANALAX DO-DOO or whatever?

paruses

Quote from: the science eel on January 07, 2022, 02:20:12 PMAre some of the names in the closing credits pseudonyms? ANALAX DO-DOO or whatever?

One certainly is but not sure if there are more or why there would be.

Quote from: paruses on January 07, 2022, 01:55:58 PMAlso didn't recognise Rashida Jones

Me neither, it was only when I looked it up because I thought I should recognise her.

SteveDave

The last episode has some enjoyable art imitating life business going on

KennyMonster

How come it's moved from C4 to BBC?

Anyone know?

jobotic

Really enjoyed episode two. Like the upping of the weirdness but not so keen on the celebs.

Oddly the the bit that made me laugh the most was "Romley Compton"  which could have been from any series.

Doon is brilliant.

jobotic

Oh and the music is brilliant too

Peabo Bryson Is Not Dead

The incidental Crossroads riff is a thing of majestic beauty.

The stunt casting, cameos and returning heroes
Spoiler alert
Rashida Jones, Larry David, Lewis Macleod, et al
[close]
show the cachet Matt Berry is building up, er, everywhere.

I don't know what's next for Toast but this has been a most welcome tonic for the New Year.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: jobotic on January 05, 2022, 10:29:35 PMReally enjoyed the first one but I really hope Mrs Bloody Purchase isn't in it anymore

Weirdly, I didn't recognise her and thought they had got someone else to play the part.

Quote from: Poobum on January 07, 2022, 01:29:51 PMI love the idea that this must mean that Larry David is a fan of the show and would have sat there wondering who the fuck Bruce Forsythe was.

I was imagining him begging 'Can I say the line? Lemme say the line!'

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on January 05, 2022, 04:21:36 PMEnjoyed Des Wigwam immensely, always good work from Kayan Novak

Yes, he was great. 'Singing bowl amphitheatre' made me laugh out loud.

AsparagusTrevor

To be fair, the celebrity cameo thing is nothing new. Toast of London always managed to get lots of local celebrities (plus some not so local, e.g. Jon Hamm, Josh Homme)

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Virgo76 on January 05, 2022, 06:05:35 AMNo musical numbers so far anyway thank God. These were always a low point.

I like his music so they were always a high point for me. The short sequence allows the proceedings to breath for a moment in my opinion and oddly add humility to quite a nihilistic show.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on January 08, 2022, 09:44:08 AMTo be fair, the celebrity cameo thing is nothing new. Toast of London always managed to get lots of local celebrities (plus some not so local, e.g. Jon Hamm, Josh Homme)

Sadly, they never managed to land Jock Hummmmm.

paruses

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 08, 2022, 09:47:09 AMI like his music so they were always a high point for me. The short sequence allows the proceedings to breath for a moment in my opinion and oddly add humility to quite a nihilistic show.

I disliked the musical numbers first time round but have come to agree completely with you.

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on January 08, 2022, 09:44:08 AMTo be fair, the celebrity cameo thing is nothing new. Toast of London always managed to get lots of local celebrities (plus some not so local, e.g. Jon Hamm, Josh Homme)

Jon Hamm was quite a big name and I suppose Brian Blessed. Who else has there been - I can think of Roy Hudd (or have I imagined Roy Hudd?). Maybe it's just that I don't think of them as celebs because they're familiar faces on British TV.

Small Man Big Horse

A while back someone posted a link to a video on youtube of Matt Berry presenting some kind of youth tv show in the 90s, and he was speaking much more naturally than he does these days - I was just wondering, does anyone know where that video might be, I've searched for ages (well, over ten minutes) and can't seem to find it anywhere...

The Bumlord

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 08, 2022, 10:58:25 AMA while back someone posted a link to a video on youtube of Matt Berry presenting some kind of youth tv show in the 90s, and he was speaking much more naturally than he does these days - I was just wondering, does anyone know where that video might be, I've searched for ages (well, over ten minutes) and can't seem to find it anywhere...

Kaboom

https://youtu.be/8Y6SP-yeKk4

Small Man Big Horse

Thosworth

Similarly, footage of Richard Ayoade with a more unaffected voice and mannerisms. It genuinely seems they both let their Darkplace characters inform their actual personalities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNJXC9n0prs

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Had to Google to be reminded that Bellender Bojangles was Will's Mum from " The Inbetweeners" !

That first episode is astonishingly laugh -free.