Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:28:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Deerhoof

Started by the science eel, January 03, 2022, 11:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the science eel

The Mollusk

Love that little Juan's set!

They just released a live set recorded in guitarist Ed's house after not seeing each other in person for 2 years. It's a career-spanning set list and a truly joyous performance. These four people love each other and they communicate with one another via their voices and instruments. They grin and sway and dance and sing their joy. The love crammed into that tiny room for this thing is fucking wonderful.

You can get it on their Bandcamp, access to both the audio and the 9GB(!) video file for just over £6. I highly recommend it.

Hard to believe that they just released their 18th studio LP and it's another fucking cracker. Even harder to believe that Greg Saunier, my favourite drummer and one of my favourite people period, is 52 years old! He looks and plays with the explosive childlike energy of someone 20 years younger.

danwho9

Just got really into this band, looking forward to hearing the new album.

the science eel

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 03, 2022, 02:37:30 PMLove that little Juan's set!

They just released a live set recorded in guitarist Ed's house after not seeing each other in person for 2 years. It's a career-spanning set list and a truly joyous performance. These four people love each other and they communicate with one another via their voices and instruments. They grin and sway and dance and sing their joy. The love crammed into that tiny room for this thing is fucking wonderful.

The joy comes across in that performance I posted - I laughed my socks off when I first saw it. Which is an unusual reaction to music, I suppose.

I saw them a couple of years ago in Glasgow and they were hanging about on the staircase saying 'hi' to people who passed. They came across as sweethearts.

Great great band but I haven't heard anything quite as good as that 'Dummy' one.

QuoteHard to believe that they just released their 18th studio LP and it's another fucking cracker. Even harder to believe that Greg Saunier, my favourite drummer and one of my favourite people period, is 52 years old! He looks and plays with the explosive childlike energy of someone 20 years younger.

One fuck of a drummer, yeah. Crazy.

The Mollusk

Quote from: the science eel on January 04, 2022, 12:26:09 PMThe joy comes across in that performance I posted - I laughed my socks off when I first saw it. Which is an unusual reaction to music, I suppose.

I get like this a lot when a particularly audacious piece of music knocks me for six. More often than not it's when I'm listening to some properly nasty metal but Deerhoof have me grinning and laughing a lot too! Certain sudden bursts of guitar noise, or when Greg hits a certain combination of the kit in a wild flurry, or any time Satomi starts dancing!

lazyhour

I saw them live in a smallish Oxford venue when The Runners Four album came out. It remains one of the best gigs I've ever attended. Greg's drumming live was a thing to behold, and if I remember rightly he only had one cymbal. He drummed so intensely that he broke the kick pedal and the show had to pause while a replacement was located.

This track remains a favourite:

The Mollusk

He still mostly just plays with a kick, a snare and a crash. On the new live release I was surprised to see a tom in the mix, and also amused that at the start of the video when he's packing to get on the plane he says he's been playing without a cymbal a lot recently so needs to get back into using one again.

the science eel

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 04, 2022, 12:51:15 PMI get like this a lot when a particularly audacious piece of music knocks me for six. More often than not it's when I'm listening to some properly nasty metal but Deerhoof have me grinning and laughing a lot too! Certain sudden bursts of guitar noise, or when Greg hits a certain combination of the kit in a wild flurry, or any time Satomi starts dancing!

She's so lovely!

Quite a bit of dancing here - another favourite

imitationleather

I like Deerhoof. I think they're good.

There, I said it.

popcorn

They're one of the best bands ever imo. Really eccentric and mad but they rock and you can dance to em!

Oddly, though, I almost wish they'd release less stuff. Their albums are so odd it usually takes me ages to really get into them, by which point they've released another one. Productive dickheads.

Vitalstatistix

Incredible band. So many great songs and albums.

A personal fave which I'm surprised isn't more acclaimed: "Fête d'Adieu" from Breakup Song.

For a band known as being super stripped down and rockin' raw, there's a fair amount of beautiful production, layering and synths going on in plenty of their album tunes. Good.

chveik

Artie Fufkin

I do too
love the Deerhoo(f)

Was lucky enough to see them in a tiny venue just down the road (ish) a few years ago.
Incredible.
Such a great band.

popcorn

Here's a song that sounds like Deerhoof but isn't: Pom Poko - Like a Lady

imitationleather

Quote from: popcorn on January 09, 2022, 06:57:04 PMHere's a song that sounds like Deerhoof but isn't: Pom Poko - Like a Lady

I thought the same when I first heard that song!

Artie Fufkin

I also love the Pom Pokos!

The Mollusk

Pom Poko are ace (and they only continue to get better and better as a live band, deffo go see them if you have the chance) but I think there's a distinction between them and Deerhoof. PP have more of a 90s alt-rock/grunge thing going on, their noisy freakouts are more pop-leaning and although Deerhoof are essentially a noise pop band I think they have a much stronger ear for the avant-garde which makes up a great deal of their sound.