Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:49:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical Egg on Musical Face

Started by markburgle, January 08, 2022, 09:52:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markburgle

Being a music fan is all about showing off, knowing the most, being the hippest (or so I thought when younger and dumber).

One time I was raving to a mate about Foxy Lady, how amazing Hendrix's vocal was on it compared to his other stuff.

This was the days of Napster, when you had to cobble together your pirated albums from individually sourced mp3s.

"Listen to this!" I said, and put it on. After a few bars he went "That isn't Hendrix". Turned out I'd ended up with some generic rawk cover of Foxy Lady and not only failed to notice, but decided it was superior*. Egg on face!

You?

*(Tbh the proper Foxy Lady still sounds weak to me).

Johnny Yesno

Endicott

I was once tricked into believing a very low quality cassette recording of Winchester Cathedral was in fact a demo song by my mate's band.

I played the tape to a colleague at work.
 "That's Crosby, Stills and Nash", she said.
 "No", I said.
 "Yes", she said.

Not so much an egg, more of an omelette.

markburgle

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on January 08, 2022, 10:15:19 AMIt was this one, wasn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmSq10g1-Wo

And listening back to it I think we can all agree it's a mistake anyone could've made

BeardFaceMan

I saw a music video for Voodoo Chile on MTV back when they use to show such things, I was probably 17 or so, I couldn't wait to get into work and talk to my biker mate who got me into the Sex Pistols so I could tell him about this great song I'd heard called Voodoo Chilly. I got reminded of that a lot.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 08, 2022, 04:36:02 PMI saw a music video for Voodoo Chile on MTV back when they use to show such things, I was probably 17 or so, I couldn't wait to get into work and talk to my biker mate who got me into the Sex Pistols so I could tell him about this great song I'd heard called Voodoo Chilly. I got reminded of that a lot.

Hey? Did you write the title down for him?

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 08, 2022, 04:36:02 PMI saw a music video for Voodoo Chile on MTV back when they use to show such things, I was probably 17 or so, I couldn't wait to get into work and talk to my biker mate who got me into the Sex Pistols so I could tell him about this great song I'd heard called Voodoo Chilly. I got reminded of that a lot.

Paxman made this very same error on University Challenge once.

I thought it was Voodoo Child, for a very long time.

pupshaw

I made a big point of slagging off Toploader's cover of Dancing in the Moonlight saying it's EXACTLY the same as the original, and why would you cover a song and add nothing whatsoever and just be so lazy etc. etc.

Turns out my reference (downloaded) copy of the song was indeed a mislabeled Toploader version tagged as by the original artists.

I don't mention it anymore.

The Mollusk

phantom_power

Quote from: thecuriousorange on January 09, 2022, 12:25:46 AMI thought it was Voodoo Child, for a very long time.

There is a Hendrix song called Voodoo Chile, which is more trad blues and then there is Voodoo Child (Slight Return) which is the more psychedelic version that most people know, which muddies the waters (HA!) a bit

You may already know this, sorry

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: pupshaw on January 09, 2022, 11:02:22 AMI made a big point of slagging off Toploader's cover of Dancing in the Moonlight saying it's EXACTLY the same as the original, and why would you cover a song and add nothing whatsoever and just be so lazy etc. etc.

Turns out my reference (downloaded) copy of the song was indeed a mislabeled Toploader version tagged as by the original artists.

I don't mention it anymore.

But you do continue to slag off Toploader's cover of Dancing in the Moonlight?

beanheadmcginty

Lad at my school thought Crazy Horses was a Led Zeppelin song.

imitationleather

To be fair, it is a lot better than you'd expect a song by Thin Lizzy to be.

kngen

A very heated argument where I had got Black Label Society and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club mixed up - now I can't hear either of them without wincing and turn them off immediately (so, in a way, the story has a happy ending).

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: imitationleather on January 09, 2022, 01:43:12 PMTo be fair, it is a lot better than you'd expect a song by Thin Lizzy to be.

Wait a minute...

Rizla

Aged about 8, I confidently reeled off the names of the Beatles to my parents as John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and George Michael.

A couple of years later, I sensationally revealed to my mother that the Paul Simon currently riding high in the charts with his album "Graceland" was the in fact the "Simon" from "Simon and Garfunkel". In fact, I was at a friend's house when I made this incredible discovery, and telephoned home to pass on the information.

idunnosomename

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on January 09, 2022, 01:42:10 PMLad at my school thought Crazy Horses was a Led Zeppelin song.
ironically Crazy Horses is heavier than anything Led Zeppelin ever recorded

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Rizla on January 09, 2022, 02:54:42 PMAged about 8, I confidently reeled off the names of the Beatles to my parents as John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and George Michael.

A couple of years later, I sensationally revealed to my mother that the Paul Simon currently riding high in the charts with his album "Graceland" was the in fact the "Simon" from "Simon and Garfunkel". In fact, I was at a friend's house when I made this incredible discovery, and telephoned home to pass on the information.

Who was the berk on here who thought Chevy Chase was Paul Simon? Everybody knows that his actual name is Al as he tells you as much during the video.

Chicory

When 'Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm' and 'Under The Bridge' were big hits at around the same time, I was convinced the long haired Crash Test Dummies bloke was also fronting RHCP and crooning about taking smack.  I wasn't a worryingly dim child but they were literally just two blokes with the same hair.

pupshaw

Quote from: Pauline Walnuts on January 09, 2022, 01:14:05 PMBut you do continue to slag off Toploader's cover of Dancing in the Moonlight?

No I honestly think it's great. The slagging off only works because you think it's no improvement on the original. In fact the original seems kind of lightweight to me now.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: pupshaw on January 09, 2022, 07:51:42 PMNo I honestly think it's great. The slagging off only works because you think it's no improvement on the original. In fact the original seems kind of lightweight to me now.

Let us never talk on this ever again.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

As a kid I somehow got it in my head that "Rhinestone Cowboy" was by Elton John. Years later, I tried to make a joke based on this mistaken belief. Cue the tumbleweed and chirping crickets when no one had any idea what the hell I was on about.

holyzombiejesus

Talked about how much I liked Vinny Jones' guitar playing in the Durutti Column.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on January 09, 2022, 09:18:54 PMTalked about how much I liked Vinny Jones' guitar playing in the Durutti Column.
Vini Reilly was apparently a decent footballer as a youth, though you'd imagine his slender frame wouldn't have stood up well to a classic Vinny Jones 'tackle'.

ProvanFan

I was once very insistent that the sexy Je t'aime song was by Jean-Michel Jarre.

jenna appleseed

Quote from: Rizla on January 09, 2022, 02:54:42 PMAged about 8, I confidently reeled off the names of the Beatles to my parents as John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and George Michael.

I remember (a bit younger than you) being incredibley excited/please to pass on the incredible information that the Ringo Star of off 'Says Thomas' Thomas The Tank Engine fame had previously been a Beatle!!!1!

ProvanFan

When I was very young and Elton John's Sacrifice was out I thought it was Curly Watts.

idunnosomename

I thought U2 was just a shorter way of saying 2 Unlimited

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 10, 2022, 11:19:14 AMI thought U2 was just a shorter way of saying 2 Unlimited
This reminds me: In Four Weddings and a Funeral, one of the characters thinks U2 is a Russian submarine and is presented as a dim bulb for doing so. A U2 is an American aeroplane though, so it's not actually that big a mistake. If anyone has egg on their face, it should be Richard Curtis.