Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:34:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical Egg on Musical Face

Started by markburgle, January 08, 2022, 09:52:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on January 18, 2022, 01:26:33 PMWhen I was about 6 my older sister had a David Soul album. Naturally, I assumed that this was what soul music was.

Ha, my cousin also liked David Soul when I was that age and I thought the same thing.

JesusAndYourBush

When I was a kid I saw Roxy Music mentioned in a magazine and assumed it was a genre of music.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Because it's such a shit pun - that's my excuse anyway - I thought Danbert Nobacon from Chumbawamba was pronounced Donbear Nobacon (pronounce that in a French accent a la Francois Mitterrand).

22-years-old I was.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: willbo on January 18, 2022, 03:32:13 PMI spent about a month thinking that felicia day was the main subject of gamergate and it was all about her having had sex with various top men in fantasy/scifi/comics/games to get jobs
Is your "egg on face" moment posting about this in the music sub-forum?

Icehaven

Theoretically I have loads of these as I've got no memory for details and very poor grasp of the technical side of music despite playing in bands for years, however I don't really get embarrassed about not knowing stuff or getting things wrong because it just doesn't matter to me. I still remember the absolutely withering look on the face of a bloke in a houseshare I was briefly staying in when, having realised we both played bass so were comparing our guitars, he noticed I'd got the fret numbers on stickers on the neck. I still do, I need them!
I can't remember the names of band members other than the really famous ones or ones I particularly like either, and it surprises me how many people seem to think it's an obligation of fandom to be able to name every lineup of band that's been going for 30 years and had dozens of members. I'm in a band with a couple of blokes who are a bit older than me and they seem to be able to name every permutation of every rock and metal band since the late 70s and the difference between them. I can't even remember the names of the bands, never mind who their guitarist was for 6 months in 1993. 

JaDanketies

Quote from: icehaven on January 19, 2022, 01:20:54 PMI can't even remember the names of the bands, never mind who their guitarist was for 6 months in 1993. 

I'm the same; there are loads of musicians who I'm supposed to know about but I couldn't picture any of them. The only extreme metal musician I can immediately picture is Corpsegrinder. Couldn't tell you what Nergal from Behemoth looks like. A white guy with long dark hair, I assume.

I saw a guy I knew at Damnation festival when Godflesh were on, and I mentioned I had previously seen them at Supersonic festival in Birmingham. He said, "Oh yeah, 2019, that was when they toured with Neurosis," and I was stunned at that level of knowledge. It was like Rain Man telling you what the weather was like on your 12th birthday. And my only knowledge of Godflesh, other than that I had seen and enjoyed them and they were very heavy industrial metal, was that I had previously thought they were Godsmack and had therefore avoided them.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 18, 2022, 10:29:38 PMBecause it's such a shit pun - that's my excuse anyway - I thought Danbert Nobacon from Chumbawamba was pronounced Donbear Nobacon (pronounce that in a French accent a la Francois Mitterrand).

22-years-old I was.

I remember someone on the radio pronouncing Nobacon to rhyme with rubicon.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 18, 2022, 10:29:38 PMBecause it's such a shit pun - that's my excuse anyway - I thought Danbert Nobacon from Chumbawamba was pronounced Donbear Nobacon (pronounce that in a French accent a la Francois Mitterrand).

22-years-old I was.

Once saw Richard Madeley make this exact same mistake on This Morning.

JesusAndYourBush

I remember someone (I think David Letterman?) pronouncing Toots Hibbert as Tootsie Bear but I'm pretty sure he was doing it deliberately.

My brain read Phoebe Bridgers as Phoebe Waller Bridge. Took a while for me to realise they're two people.

Glyn

Felt a bit daft recently when realising that the line in Something For The Weekend that I had always taken to be 'Something in his genes' has a double meaning. No idea why as it couldn't be much more obvious.

markburgle

I didn't spot the pun in Sandie Shaw's name until I was 28 years old, or thereabouts

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on January 19, 2022, 04:06:16 PMOnce saw Richard Madeley make this exact same mistake on This Morning.

My girlfriend at the time took great pleasure in telling me about that. As if I wasn't already humiliated enough.

Psmith

Quote from: markburgle on January 19, 2022, 11:40:41 PMI didn't spot the pun in Sandie Shaw's name until I was 28 years old, or thereabouts

Someone had to point it out to me  AND I was a lot older than 28.

notjosh

I think it took me about 30 years to realise that it wasn't actually Santa Claus kissing mummy under the mistletoe last night.

And just last Christmas it occurred to me for the first time that Eartha Kitt's 'Santa Baby' probably isn't addressed to St Nicholas himself.

It's enough to make me wonder if this Santa chap even exists. But then you'd have to explain who eats the mince pie and drinks a can of my dad's favourite beer every Christmas Eve.

kngen

Quote from: markburgle on January 19, 2022, 11:40:41 PMI didn't spot the pun in Sandie Shaw's name until I was 28 years old, or thereabouts

It wasn't well into my 30s that the pun behind the name The Baron Knights registered with me. And I thought: 'Oh, fuck off!'

willbo

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: kngen on January 20, 2022, 03:47:10 PMIt wasn't well into my 30s that the pun behind the name The Baron Knights registered with me. And I thought: 'Oh, fuck off!'

(It's Barron, btw)

As I said to the wife, I still don't get it.

Egyptian Feast

I couldn't figure it out either and tried searching the name origin but came up short. There's a sedative called Baronite used for severe sleep disorders, but I doubt their name is a reference, or that it's half as effective at curing insomnia as listening to one of their medleys of recent popular songs with shit all down them. 

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on January 21, 2022, 12:25:35 AMI couldn't figure it out either and tried searching the name origin but came up short.

Oh, I figured it out. I just wanted some sympathy.

phantom_power

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on January 21, 2022, 12:25:35 AMI couldn't figure it out either and tried searching the name origin but came up short. There's a sedative called Baronite used for severe sleep disorders, but I doubt their name is a reference, or that it's half as effective at curing insomnia as listening to one of their medleys of recent popular songs with shit all down them. 

It's about not getting any nookie isn't it? Cor blimey (does that thing where you put one arm on the crook of your elbow and bend the other arm)

NoSleep

Psmith

I used to say Roger Walters for years.No one picked me up on it ,just sniggered behind my back.

willbo

Spent most of my childhood and teens assuming George Harrison was the Beatles' bass player. I assumed that as Lennon and McCartney were the stars they must be the rhythm and lead guitars.

I think a lot of people think Soul Asylum's "runaway train" is a Bon Jovi hit. I did for years until the radio said who it was.

markburgle

Used to think Final Countdown was a Queen song, but I don't think it ever came up in conversation so face avoided egg.

willbo

I know for some time as a kid I thought the Rolling Stones were considered Heavy Metal and were the 4th original band along with Zep, Sabbath and Purple. I think the only song I knew by them was Satisfaction which I assumed was a pop novelty (like Queen's non rock songs)

I think that's a fair enough assumption for a naive kid to make, especially if you were only really aware of their dissolute, unkempt, bad boy rock 'n' roll image. They look like they might be heavy rockers.

And I suppose you could argue that they were proto-metal, if only because of their performative daliance with Satanic imagery in the late '60s. But yeah, they're a rock and roll band through and through. I know you know this.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: willbo on January 26, 2022, 10:14:17 PMSpent most of my childhood and teens assuming George Harrison was the Beatles' bass player.

Intetesting fact connected to George... Up until just a few years ago people assumed the slide guitar on Strawberry Fields was played by George, then someone bought an old mellotron with the original tape loops that came with it and discovered one of them was that slide guitar sound!

jamiefairlie

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 27, 2022, 01:13:07 AMIntetesting fact connected to George... Up until just a few years ago people assumed the slide guitar on Strawberry Fields was played by George, then someone bought an old mellotron with the original tape loops that came with it and discovered one of them was that slide guitar sound!

Poor George, he's not even the best slide guitar player on Strawberry Fields.

I used to think Gorrilaz was a consistent four-piece band, with a cartoon avatar used to represent each member in the videos.