Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:01:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RANK these British bands

Started by the science eel, January 08, 2022, 02:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: icehaven on January 12, 2022, 09:16:43 AMIt's already happened, this thread is set in an alternate reality where none of us have heard of This Heat.

I own Deceit by This Heat but I still can't make head nor tail of this thread.

Quote from: the science eel on January 12, 2022, 09:09:36 AMDoes it have to be meaningful?

Yes, I think it probably does.

dissolute ocelot

Just realised I've been confusing This Heat and Swell Maps for about 10 years. On the other hand, this makes This Heat significantly less good.

Disraeli Gears is banging. And The Darts were MUCH better than Showaddywaddy.

non capisco

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 12, 2022, 11:12:17 PMAnd The Darts were MUCH better than Showaddywaddy.

Can we RANK eighventies UK non-Shaky 50s revival acts?

I'm going with

Stray Cats
Coast To Coast (have never been adequately able to explain my obsession with 'Do The Hucklebuck' and the faintly bizarre sight of their lead singer who looks like a young, concussed Swiss Toni although I've definitely bollocked on about them enough on here)
Darts
Showaddywaddy
Matchbox (would have been higher purely down to 'Midnight Dynamos' were it not for all the Confederate flags)
The Jets
Rocky Sharpe and The Replays

daf

non capisco

Quote from: daf on January 13, 2022, 12:09:59 AMEighties 60's Girl-Group revival acts :

1. The Maisonettes
2. Mari Wilson
3. Tracey Ullman

Tracey Ullman below Mari Wilson, you are having an absolute facking giggle, daf

They Don't Know, the greatest sounds like it should be a Christmas song but actually isn't a Christmas song of all time.

Heartache Avenue by The Maisonettes is unimpeachable, I grant you. Nice to see Hugo Drax from Moonraker fell back to Earth out of that airlock OK and managed to front a band.

daf

Quote from: non capisco on January 13, 2022, 01:11:34 AMTracey Ullman below Mari Wilson, you are having an absolute facking giggle, daf

I think "The Wilson-ettes" daft arm movements on TOTP - (see new link below) - pushed it up to the silver spot, but, as they're not really the main bit of the Act, we'll tweak it thus :

1. The Maisonettes
2. Tracey Ullman
3. Mari Wilson

SteveDave

Quote from: purlieu on January 12, 2022, 02:57:34 PMI think we need an Introduction to This Heat thread soon.

Looking at photos of them, I'm presuming they sound like all those grey af post-punk bands that sniffed Ian Curtis' farts and hopped aboard the misery train BUT with African polyrhythms?

the science eel

Quote from: SteveDave on January 13, 2022, 10:08:45 AMLooking at photos of them, I'm presuming they sound like all those grey af post-punk bands that sniffed Ian Curtis' farts and hopped aboard the misery train BUT with African polyrhythms?

aye

cosmic-hearse

Quote from: SteveDave on January 13, 2022, 10:08:45 AMLooking at photos of them, I'm presuming they sound like all those grey af post-punk bands that sniffed Ian Curtis' farts and hopped aboard the misery train BUT with African polyrhythms?

Not really - they predate post-punk (& punk) & had closer affinity to Rock in Opposition stuff.

cosmic-hearse

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yYNEKwgkKE4

'Health & Efficiency' is such a joyous tune & staggeringly ahead of its time for 1980.

90s linedancing chart stars

1. Rednex
2. Billy Ray Cyrus
3. The Woolpackers
4. Steps

cosmic-hearse

This Heat-related bands:
1. Camberwell Now
2. Flaming Tunes
3. Lifetimes
4. Quiet Sun

Dirty Boy

Rank these you cunts!

This Heat
Hot Hot Heat
Reverend Horten Heat
Fiery Furnaces
The Ceramic Hobs
Heater Small

Dirty Boy

Quote from: cosmic-hearse on January 13, 2022, 11:48:37 AMThis Heat-related bands:
1. Camberwell Now
2. Flaming Tunes
3. Lifetimes
4. Quiet Sun
Don't know 2 and 3. Links?
Quote from: purlieu on January 12, 2022, 02:57:34 PMI think we need an Introduction to This Heat thread soon.
There is This one which never really got off the ground, no doubt thanks to the twat who started it.

Johnny Yesno

Good grief. That's astonishingly ignorant in the age of being able to check easily if you can be arsed.

Beatles fan energy.

purlieu

Nah, '70s experimental group whose second album (featuring more guitar) tends to get lumped in with post-punk but really isn't. First album is closer to krautrock than anything, folk, drone, even some kind of proto-jungle type thing. Debut album contains material from 1976, so definitely not post-Joy Division. Get yer ears around these:

Jockice

Quote from: Dirty Boy on January 13, 2022, 01:18:10 PMRank these you cunts!

This Heat
Hot Hot Heat
Reverend Horten Heat
Fiery Furnaces
The Ceramic Hobs
Heater Small

Paul Heaton.

Jockice

Quote from: non capisco on January 12, 2022, 11:54:55 PMCan we RANK eighventies UK non-Shaky 50s revival acts?

I'm going with

Stray Cats
Coast To Coast (have never been adequately able to explain my obsession with 'Do The Hucklebuck' and the faintly bizarre sight of their lead singer who looks like a young, concussed Swiss Toni although I've definitely bollocked on about them enough on here)
Darts
Showaddywaddy
Matchbox (would have been higher purely down to 'Midnight Dynamos' were it not for all the Confederate flags)
The Jets
Rocky Sharpe and The Replays

No! I'm not having that. The Jets were shit and when I saw Rocky Sharpe do his sunglasses stunt on TOTP I thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. And there's some footage of them on a foreign TV channel where he turns out to be wearing three pairs of shades. What a guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKrvpMkgvFY

Darts were the best though. Love them to this day. Several of them used to be in a band with Rocky you know. They split up due to musical similarities.

And The Fall's version of Do The Hucklebuck is the definitive one anyway.

Jockice