Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:55:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

No Free CD with the Mojo of March, it would seem.

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, January 19, 2022, 06:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Why is this? Brexit related? Couldnae find enough interesting Monkees cover versions ( The Monkees are the main- featured cover stars, you see)? Couldn't be fucked?
It's a shame, as the free CD is the main reason for me bothering my arse to buy this very music mag  ( I gave up on Uncut quite a while ago).
Does anyone else buy this magazine, and if so, are they lamenting the absence of a free CD?

Pink Gregory

Editor's letter sez it's a cost thing, but it's only for this month, so far.

Nice to see someone else on the cover for once.

SteveDave

I've wondered why they don't start doing download codes rather than CDs. You'd have to seal the magazine to avoid people just copping the download codes for free but surely it'd cost a lot less than manufacturing thousands of CDs every month.

willbo

actually this is something I've been thinking about. What's the level of value or respect given to older Mojo type free CDs now? Are there any particular ones which are considered classic or that record collectors want? I can imagine covers from famous artists which only appeared on that disc could be sought after by some? Does anyone keep all their Mojo/metal hammer CDs with pride? The only "classic" free magazine record I know of is that NME c86 one.

SteveDave

Quote from: willbo on January 19, 2022, 11:25:36 AMactually this is something I've been thinking about. What's the level of value or respect given to older Mojo type free CDs now? Are there any particular ones which are considered classic or that record collectors want? I can imagine covers from famous artists which only appeared on that disc could be sought after by some? Does anyone keep all their Mojo/metal hammer CDs with pride? The only "classic" free magazine record I know of is that NME c86 one.

There was a "Sticky Fingers" cover CD with (I think) especially recorded covers that I listen to more than the actual album. It was all soul/funk bands doing it so there's no half-arsed, recorded at home acoustic guitar balls that usually happens with the covers albums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovt22TU8YsE

https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/625162925

Their "Abbey Road" covers CD also gave us this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jom1woHlX-U

the science eel

Quote from: willbo on January 19, 2022, 11:25:36 AMactually this is something I've been thinking about. What's the level of value or respect given to older Mojo type free CDs now? Are there any particular ones which are considered classic or that record collectors want? I can imagine covers from famous artists which only appeared on that disc could be sought after by some? Does anyone keep all their Mojo/metal hammer CDs with pride? The only "classic" free magazine record I know of is that NME c86 one.

Nothing close to C86 (or C81, or even the excellent punk and garage cassette comps NME put out in the mid-80s Pogo A-Go-Go and We Have Come For Your Children) but MOJO put out a fine 'drugs' CD called Feed Your Head in the early noughties which probably isn't going for a whole lot on Discogs but is a classic of its kind. The mod comp Maximum '65 from around the same time is excellent too.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 19, 2022, 06:19:06 AMDoes anyone else buy this magazine, and if so, are they lamenting the absence of a free CD?

Not really, it'd more than likely end up in a pile with other unplayed magazine CDs. Ucunt had two this month, funnily enough. The usual compilation and an EP of songs from Hurray For The Riff Raff, which I actually did play and enjoy.

The free CDs were of a higher standard when they only did them sporadically. I've got enough unplayed 'Americana' comps to wallpaper the flat with.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Pink Gregory on January 19, 2022, 06:48:15 AMNice to see someone else on the cover for once.

Yeah, woollen hats off to them for putting The Monkees on the cover. I've just finished reading their tribute to Nez, it's rather lovely.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: lazyhour on January 20, 2022, 08:58:46 AMTheir "Death Disco" comp was a bit of a scorcher:

https://www.discogs.com/release/5558271-Various-Death-Disco-Mojo-Presents-A-Compendium-Of-Post-Punk-Grooves

Spoilt a bit by having that late- period Fall track what sounds like the original theme for " Grange Hill" on it.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: SteveDave on January 19, 2022, 09:56:16 AMI've wondered why they don't start doing download codes rather than CDs. You'd have to seal the magazine to avoid people just copping the download codes for free but surely it'd cost a lot less than manufacturing thousands of CDs every month.

Wouldnae work, 'cos the demographic for " Mojo" ( including mine self) likes their CDs.

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: lazyhour on January 20, 2022, 08:58:46 AMTheir "Death Disco" comp was a bit of a scorcher:

https://www.discogs.com/release/5558271-Various-Death-Disco-Mojo-Presents-A-Compendium-Of-Post-Punk-Grooves

Pretty sure that was compiled by Jon Savage. Listened to it quite a lot at the time, except for the Felt song, which put me off Felt for life. My favourite on there was 'Shouting Out Loud' by the Raincoats.

When I used to buy Mojo I don't think I ever even unwrapped the cover version comps, fuck them.