Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:51:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How I Met Your Father

Started by BritishHobo, January 20, 2022, 12:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

This semi-spin-off series started the other night, with the first two episodes of a ten-episode run. It stars Hilary Duff as Sophie, whose 2022 exploits are narrated by Kim Cattrall as her future self, telling the "how I met your father" story to her son.

As someone who really loved the original at the time, I thought I should give it a go, just to see. I know it's been getting a lot of shit since it was announced, and I'm more forgiving than most with stuff like this. But my first reaction was quite how quaint it feels, with its laugh track, and its artificially-joyful gang of friendly faces. The camera work seems ever-so-slightly less constrained than its predecessor, but it otherwise feels very much like a bit of a throwback to the noughties, before the laugh-track all but disappeared. And while it has a few tricks up its sleeve
Spoiler alert
(Sophie meets the father in episode 1, but we don't know which of the men she meets it is, and her son is kept offscreen in the future segments, presumably so as not to give away the father's identity via his skin colour),
[close]
it so far lacks the fun shonky-narrative storytelling that made the original such a blast. Similarly, while the cast seem very nice, and as much as I love Duff, there are no standouts yet, in the way NPH immediately was.

But there's still time. Since I'm already a fifth of the way through the short season, I might as well give it a shot until episode 10. A lot of shows take time to crack their identity and voice, especially ones which are emerging from the shadow of another popular show. So I'll reserve my judgment for now.

notjosh

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 20, 2022, 12:54:55 AMAnd while it has a few tricks up its sleeve
Spoiler alert
(Sophie meets the father in episode 1, but we don't know which of the men she meets it is, and her son is kept offscreen in the future segments, presumably so as not to give away the father's identity via his skin colour),
[close]

So it's even more of a rip-off of the film Definitely Maybe than the original series?

I was as open to you at the idea of this, but I think I'll do what I should have done with HIMYM and wait till the whole thing's wrapped up with a satisfying conclusion before I decide to invest any time in it.