Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:15:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

anyone heard about this "when we were young" fest controversy?

Started by willbo, January 20, 2022, 09:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willbo

There's a festival been announced on social media 2 days ago, "when we were young" - announced for October 22nd, 2022 in Las Vegas.

It's caused a lot of controversy online as it features pretty much every big emo and pop punk band of the 00s, but  all on one day.

social media was flooded with people posting the ad yesterday, and now people are skeptical

saying - it's gonna be a scam and half the bands are gonna drop out, or the whole thing is gonna be cancelled with no refunds

or it's gonna be horribly run, like Woodstock 99 and Astroworld - its run by Live Nation, who were behind Astroworld and a few other concert/fest disasters (as well as many that went ok), and it promises a huge number of big bands that people are going to be stressing out trying to rush and stampede to see, crammed in a very short time (20/30 min sets on three stages apparently)

I'm not into pop punk or emo but the whole thing seems so bizarre to me that I want to know what's going on.

plus its supposed to cost $300 or something.

more LN stuff from facebook -

Since 2006 Live Nation has been fined 84 million dollars in OSHA violations. With one leading connection to them all. "Disregard for the safety and humanity for their event attendees" and has paid out hundreds of millions from lawsuits over tragedies at events in several countries.

Live Nation didn't care about the girl who died waiting over 45 minutes for medical care at HARD Summer Fest '15, that they allegedly "fixed" with a gag order and a hefty payout to the victims family. Three people died that night due to lack of medical treatment for the drug overdoses they were battling. Because of staffing deficits.

And I know we all remember the DEADLIEST mass shooting in America to date. 2017 Route 91 harvest fest on the Vegas Strip. That lawsuit states "Live Nation was negligent for failing to provide adequate exits and properly trained staff for an emergency" 60 people were slaughtered.

Live Nation is hyperfocused on profits and cheaping out on expenses that leads to unsafe conditions in large public settings. This disregard and lack of safety at other Live Nation events have caused so many situations, injuries, and deaths before it's terrifying. When I say these are only a few, I mean it. 🤯

In 2011 Live Nation settled for $50mill with the victims of a stage collapse at the Indiana State Fair, leaving seven people dead and 61 injured by the accident which they (in court documents) blamed it on "high winds".

In 2016 it reports fans fell from a broken railing at a Snoop Dogg show causing 50 people to be hospitalized due to "shaky infrastructure causing the collapse".

The 2018 Global Citizen Festival in Central Park, that lawsuit quotes a fan saying they were "trampled, pummeled, assaulted. due to stampede-like conditions".

In 2019, a Manhattan jury awarded a Long Island man a whopping $101 million payout from Live Nation for a fall at a 2013 concert at Jones Beach that left him with a fractured skull.

This list sadly goes on and on and it just shows that the dangerous scenarios created at Live Nation's events are neither coincidental nor inherent to large concerts.

Live music can be organized safely but Live Nation chooses not to do so for the sake of OUR money.

Video Game Fan 2000

Is this a honeypot to get a lot of nonces in the same spot of land and then nuke it?

willbo

I was so shocked to find out how old the big emo bands are. My Chemical Romance singer Gerard Way is 45 and was already 30 when "the black parade" came out. I thought he was around 18 then. I was 25 and felt like I was too old for that music, despite liking some emo/post hardcore ish bands in the early 00s.

Icehaven

I saw a pretty mean post on fb of "The crowd at When We Were Young" with a load of 50 somethings with emo haircuts and heavy eyeliner, looking dreadful. They all looked too old to have been into Emo as well tbh so fuck knows.

imitationleather

It's like a Who's Who of bands that I absolutely fucking hated when I was at school!

Johnny Yesno

I reckon the promoters will just take people's money, leaving them with no option other than to watch those bands or go home.

bgmnts

Christ I grew up in that era of music and I know only 7 of those bands.

Anyway yeah probably a scam.

Nowhere Man

Is this a world record challenge to create the largest possible snoozefest in a concert setting?

When Car Seat Headrest seems to be the most interesting choice on a list of what looks like fifty other artists, you know you're in trouble.

willbo

Quote from: Nowhere Man on January 21, 2022, 04:45:14 AMIs this a world record challenge to create the largest possible snoozefest in a concert setting?

When Car Seat Headrest seems to be the most interesting choice on a list of what looks like fifty other artists, you know you're in trouble.

um excuse me. Horrorpops are there

jonbob

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on January 20, 2022, 10:02:52 PMIs this a honeypot to get a lot of nonces in the same spot of land and then nuke it?
Probably more on stage than in the crowd

turnstyle

Am I losing my freaking nut, or is the name of the festival taken from a Killers song, who aren't actually playing there?

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: turnstyle on January 21, 2022, 08:41:39 AMAm I losing my freaking nut, or is the name of the festival taken from a Killers song, who aren't actually playing there?
An Adele song. She's not there either though.

The Mollusk

A handful of the bands on that lineup are fucking great and as a cohesive whole it looks like (if it's not a dastardly ruse) the festival would be loads of fun. I'd love to be there personally.

Hex Triplet

That is an impressive collection of dogshit. The only way it could be worse would be if they let Ian Watkins out of prison to do a set of Gary Glitter covers.

Captain Z

Can't go to this, already booked tickets for "Now That Were Proper Music" and "Not Like The Rubbish The Kids Listen To Nowadays".

Kankurette

If you want to see clapped-out emo bands, go to Reading.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: bgmnts on January 21, 2022, 02:59:41 AMChrist I grew up in that era of music and I know only 7 of those bands.

Anyway yeah probably a scam.

I've heard of 4 of them (and 3 of those only by name (not heard their music)).

iamcoop

My friend who works as part of a stage crew at a venue posted this up but it included stage/changeover times.

There appears to be no changeover times between acts whatsoever so I'm not entirely sure how one band can finish their set at 14.10 and the next act start their set at 14.10 on the same stage.

Unless they have a stage crew of about 200 for each stage.

The Mollusk

My Chemical Romance, Jimmy Eat World, Paramore, Wolf Alice, Alkaline Trio, all ace bands. A couple of great up and coming pop punk bands like The Linda Lindas and Meet Me @ The Altar further down the bill as well.

Some formidable stuff that fans of that wave of emo (but not me personally) would absolutely lap up too, like Thursday, The Used, Dashboard Confessional, AFI, Taking Back Sunday, Boys Like Girls, Glassjaw and Bright Eyes, all of whom were very popular in the early/mid 2000s.

Regardless of the fact this may well be a disaster of poor organisational skills from a shit corporation, for a large group of people who got into emo around the turn of the millenium this is a huge lineup. Youse are cynical as fuck sometimes, and I say that as someone who's extremely cynical.

danwho9

I've seen a lot of memes about this on Instagram but didn't realise the origin until now - here's a good one featuring shoegaze/shoegaze-adjacent bands:

Hex Triplet

I'd go to this to see Neck Geek, Motionless Whiff and Minge Kings.

imitationleather

Quote from: iamcoop on January 21, 2022, 11:24:37 AMMy friend who works as part of a stage crew at a venue posted this up but it included stage/changeover times.

There appears to be no changeover times between acts whatsoever so I'm not entirely sure how one band can finish their set at 14.10 and the next act start their set at 14.10 on the same stage.

Unless they have a stage crew of about 200 for each stage.

Rotating stages.

Famous Mortimer

That shoegaze poster is a good gag because half the bands on it are absolutely terrible and a few are decent, much like the original poster.

Have any of the bands on the poster confirmed it isn't a scam yet?

PaulTMA

Calling it now - at least two members of these bands will get cancelled before the festival does

GMTV

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on January 21, 2022, 02:50:11 AMI reckon the promoters will just take people's money, leaving them with no option other than to watch those bands or go home.

Hahaha

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 21, 2022, 11:45:37 AMMy Chemical Romance, Jimmy Eat World, Paramore, Wolf Alice, Alkaline Trio, all ace bands. A couple of great up and coming pop punk bands like The Linda Lindas and Meet Me @ The Altar further down the bill as well.

Some formidable stuff that fans of that wave of emo (but not me personally) would absolutely lap up too, like Thursday, The Used, Dashboard Confessional, AFI, Taking Back Sunday, Boys Like Girls, Glassjaw and Bright Eyes, all of whom were very popular in the early/mid 2000s.

Regardless of the fact this may well be a disaster of poor organisational skills from a shit corporation, for a large group of people who got into emo around the turn of the millenium this is a huge lineup. Youse are cynical as fuck sometimes, and I say that as someone who's extremely cynical.
I'm with you man, it's a good line up. Also Car Seat Headrest rule