Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:32:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bat Back to Hell

Started by The Mollusk, January 21, 2022, 08:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

great memories of being driven in a late 70s Mitsubishi Celeste in burnt orange by my dad (a former mod) and being subject to Bat out of Hell by mum (a former rocker), driving to some godforsaken caravan in N Wales, Dead Ringer for Love usually as you hit the A55 near Chester, a real bang after bang rock record.

I also have this memory of him being on the National Lottery in the 90s when they were trying to be a variety show

Also of Meatloaf being mudpied at Reading or Phoenix being the official day REAL ROCK was buried in favour of GRUNGEY

SweetPomPom

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 21, 2022, 12:16:35 PM"Bob had bitch tits"

Didn't he do more acting than music over the last 20 years? Is there a Deeper Into Movies thread yet?

Never liked The Rocky Horror Picture Show but I do like Fight Club. RIP Meat.

He always did a bit of acting throughout his career, started off doing hippy musicals in Central Park and stuff like that. His voice was shot pretty early in the 00s though, cysts on his vocal chords that he never really recovered from. Still toured, obviously! It was pretty grim the last time I saw hi though.

PaulTMA

I was at the 1988 festival on the Saturday that Meatloaf got bottled. One of your correspondents refers to him peeping on stage during Bonnie Tyler's set but I think I remember some details which may explain the reception he got.

Bonnie Tyler was admirably carrying on with her set, soaked in beer and piss as she was when he came on to her stage. There is a Jim Steinman link there and I think they were friends. It seemed that he cast himself as her knight in shining armour anyway. He certainly seemed to think he had influence with the crowd and could put a stop to the Tyler abuse. I remember he stood there shaking his fist and pointing at individuals mouthing threats and suggesting he was going to fight them. He even got on the mic and said "there are a lot of people with small dicks around here" to the can throwers. Sadly instead of frightening the audience, he just came across as a bit of a pompous twat. Although his claim about dicks was almost certainly statistically true, it did not endear him at all.

The audience did lay off Bonnie Tyler, mostly due to her own remarkable resilience. She was actually doing quite well on her own. The crowd saved up its irritation with Meatloaf and canned him with gusto when he came on later for his own set. John Peel begged the audience to stop the canning, called us "c-n-s""and said that they never had an act of this calibre walk off before. After this intervention from a man who really could influence the crowd it was a lot calmer and the music was good. But then, while Meatloaf was singing the last quiet bit of "Bat out of Hell" a lone bottle flew up and, spinning into the lights, followed a perfect parabolic trajectory towards its inevitable target. It seemed to take ages and I knew it would hit him way before it did. We heard the impact on the mic and that was it. Actually, the John Peel insult may have come after this bit but it was a long time ago."

Lots of Reading 1988 accounts here (a good read): https://www.ukrockfestivals.com/reading-88.html

chveik

Quote from: shoulders on January 21, 2022, 09:08:02 AMThanks Meatloaf for damning the human race to ecological suicide

lold

Tony Tony Tony

Just put I'd do anything for love on Spotify at full volume and wept like a baby.

True story.

Quote from: SweetPomPom on January 21, 2022, 02:29:32 PMHe always did a bit of acting throughout his career, started off doing hippy musicals in Central Park and stuff like that. His voice was shot pretty early in the 00s though, cysts on his vocal chords that he never really recovered from. Still toured, obviously! It was pretty grim the last time I saw hi though.

In that BBC4 documentary from a few years ago he looked in a poor state, health-wise. It was quite saddening to see.

Died of the 'rona apparently. Unlikely to be vaxxed going by his outspoken views on vaccine mandates.

pigamus

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on January 21, 2022, 04:37:19 PMJust put I'd do anything for love on Spotify at full volume and wept like a baby.

True story.

Nothing wrong with that. I did the same when John Martyn died, put Small Hours on about four in the morning and greeted like a bairn.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on January 21, 2022, 07:01:04 PMDied of the 'rona apparently. Unlikely to be vaxxed going by his outspoken views on vaccine mandates.

I would to anything to live, but I won't take that.

jobotic

I'm not what you'd call a fan although the song Bat Out of Hell and Dead Ringer are great fun, but I'm enjoying this documentary on BBC4.

Liked him laughing at his arsehole dad who beat him badly because his dad was called "Orvin".

RIP

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

He came across as a lovely bloke in that documentary. Shame about the anti-vaxx insanity, but, uh, nobody's perfect.

Jobotic, I also enjoyed him taking the piss out of his horribly abusive and stupidly-named father. Orvis, though, wasn't it? Elvis, now that's a cool name. Orvis sounds like a form of gum disease. Amazing the difference a couple of letters make.

I also enjoyed the footage of Jim Steinman's failed attempt to launch himself as a solo performer. He had no charisma whatsoever, you really need someone with the powerhouse presence and massive fuck-off voice of Meat Loaf to sell such knowingly ridiculous, OTT music. A nerdy bloke with split ends just won't do, he looked like Garth from Wayne's World.

jobotic

Fuck you're right, it was Orvis. Orvin would be a fine name for any man.

And yeah Steinman's solo bit was funny. I remembered that I'd seen the name "Jim Steinman" on Meat Loaf records when I was young and assumed that it was Meat's real name. That would have right pissed Steinman off by the sound of it.

holyzombiejesus

I saw a really fun Meatloaf biopic on Channel 5 many years ago. It's on youtube and it's one of those films where you can watch 1 random minutes of it and it's guaranteed to be ace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjn1zQj_Y-I

His passing also reminded me of a poster I saw in Nantwich for a tribute act. 'Pete Loaf, he's a real dead ring for Meat.'

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Marvellous, ta. I love goofy/shit biopics, but I've somehow never seen that one.

holyzombiejesus

Just remembered my friends who got married at Portmeirion and chose You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth as their first dance. Big grins.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 21, 2022, 11:15:25 PMMarvellous, ta. I love goofy/shit biopics, but I've somehow never seen that one.

Oh, do watch it. It's great in a shlocky way (which is as it should be).

daf

Quote from: the science eel on January 21, 2022, 11:42:05 AMJust create a 'shit puns' section and dump all this fuckwittery in there.

You're the admin.

John Farnham considers rewrite

kalowski

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on January 21, 2022, 11:31:02 AMAwww c'mon it's what we do best. Seems most CaBbers live for a celeb death.

You can feel the collective CaB minds click onto full power when a celeb dies, but we often have touching things to say too.

Head Gardener

dr beat

About 12 years ago I passed on the offer of a free ticket to see Meatloaf in London.  I'm not sure why I didn't go, but I've regretted ever since.

As Neil, Sarah and Al on Chart Music Podcast effusively pointed out, the video to Dead Ringer For Love is a wonderful life-affirming thing.

JaDanketies

I believe this guy is falsely claiming Meatloaf is Jewish in order to paint CaB as an antisemitic hate-site, unless some other guy also recently died and got mocked.

Massive Meatloaf fans in my family

jobotic

I expect he's talking about the bloke who was sueing Michael Rosen for him objecting to having his book replaced by the Protocols of the Elders of Zion in order to portray Corbyn as an anti-Semite.

Let's not have bald sex pests appearing in Oscillations

SweetPomPom

Quote from: dr beat on January 22, 2022, 11:00:31 AMAbout 12 years ago I passed on the offer of a free ticket to see Meatloaf in London.  I'm not sure why I didn't go, but I've regretted ever since.

For the car show thing in Docklands?
We got freebies for that as guests of CDWow. It was a different time..
It would be generous to say he was already struggling, sadly it was a bit shit.

JaDanketies

I saw Meatloaf when I was about 15 or 16 and it was shit. My woodwork teacher went and thought it was phenomenal.

Barry Admin

Quote from: JaDanketies on January 22, 2022, 11:07:39 AMI believe this guy is falsely claiming Meatloaf is Jewish in order to paint CaB as an antisemitic hate-site, unless some other guy also recently died and got mocked.

Massive Meatloaf fans in my family

Locked. 

Why not just cut and paste the tweet in?

Anyway he's always crying about this site, fuck him.

He also used David Amess's death to get more twitter followers. He reads this site all the time, then pretends to be appalled by it.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Falcon Malteser/Borboski/Andrew BurridgeCookdandbombd keeping up it's commitment to antisemitism by celebrating the death of a Jewish man.

I dunno why he's so keen to lie about CaB for retweets, when it usually provokes people to mention his own posts on here, e.g. this one about consent: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,41937.msg2220363.html#msg2220363

JaDanketies

Yeah sorry for not pasting the tweet. I stumbled upon it by accident when rage-searching Labour centrists but I've seen him slagging us off before too. Such a shame I never got to share these boards with him.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Barry Admin on January 22, 2022, 07:37:34 PMLocked.

You can see it in private/incognito mode.

Quote from: Falcon Malteser @Falcon_MalteserCookdandbombd keeping up it's commitment to antisemitism by celebrating the death of a Jewish man.
8:21 am · 22 Jan 2022

SpiderChrist

Celebrating the death of a Jewish man? Are we? That's a bit off. Cripes.