Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:45:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lines of comedy that have inexplicably sat in your subconscious ever since

Started by Replies From View, June 25, 2022, 12:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

The Meldrew's phone number is 4291, which seems short even for the early 90s.

Ferris

paddy72

'I shit thee nay!', regularly bellowed angrily into my mind by Ray Purchase.

petril

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: Captain Z on June 27, 2022, 08:50:16 PMOh, that reminds me of one of mine:

"What are birds? We just don't know"

Heh, me too, but mine is "Baby birds are called bees". Usually when it's spring and someone remarks on having spotted some chicks in the vicinity.

Likewise, seeing a dead bee is guaranteed to make me say "This bee has stung itself by mistake. Silly bee."

Langdale

Some sort of comedy sketch show, late night in the early 2000s. Two blokes come out of a shop and one casually drops some change into a panda-shaped plastic donation box. His mate says to him "Shouldn't give them money, they'll only spend it on bamboo".

mrpupkin

Homer auditioning for the part of Mr Burns but saying "exaaaactly" instead of "excellent"

The Mollusk

"There was another ritual: the ritual of the bullying ritual."

It's probably my single favourite comedy line ever and I laugh every time I think about it, which is alarmingly often. The stupid simplicity of it is completely outweighed by how funny it is, I can never get my head around it.

Quote from: McDead on June 25, 2022, 09:41:45 PMThis feels very Frank Skinner to me. Both the filthy subject matter, and the unexpected display of gentility.

Pretty sure it wasn't Frank, very much his style of the time though.

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on June 26, 2022, 09:09:32 AMStewart Lee does this bit in his 90's comedian show. Its part of the 'vomiting into the gaping anus of Christ' routine.

Whether he came up with it or was paying an homage to something that came before it (stole it) I don't know.

I'm getting the impression it's been highly recycled.

monkfromhavana

petril

Ray Travez

"I went to the fair once. They said, 'Do you wanna go on a scary ride?' I said, 'I don't need to- I came on the bus wi' my mother!' BOLLOCKS!"

Cold Meat Platter

Ray Travez

One line that has stayed with me is from Trev and Simon's Stupid Video. They're talking about satellite signals or something, and Trev says, "yes, you never know where you'll be picked up nowadays"

It's an understated joke, but it hints at something interesting about his private life; I think that's why it has stayed. I've thought about it at least once a month for the last thirty years.

Mr Vegetables

There's a line in Futurama where the professor says "Will said skillz pay the billz?" which is said like a joke while also not really being funny in any conceivable way, and possibly because of that it pops into my head on most days

markburgle

The bile chanting from the Day Today lives forever in my brain, pops up apropos of absolutely nowt.

neveragain

Quote from: Mr Vegetables on July 01, 2022, 12:53:54 PMThere's a line in Futurama where the professor says "Will said skillz pay the billz?" which is said like a joke while also not really being funny in any conceivable way, and possibly because of that it pops into my head on most days

It's funny because Farnsworth is using a phrase of a younger generation. (Albeit one that would be out of date by the time he lives in.)

non capisco

The bit in the Spaced DVD extras where Peter Serafinowicz as Duane Bensey finally pots a golf ball after multiple takes and growls in character "Was there ever any doubt?!!!"

"Was there ever any doubt?!!!" has sarcastically squatted in my dyspraxic unpractical brain for the subsequent 22 years.

Mr Vegetables

Quote from: neveragain on July 12, 2022, 12:05:05 AMIt's funny because Farnsworth is using a phrase of a younger generation. (Albeit one that would be out of date by the time he lives in.)

I guess I mean that the idea of finding it funny is so far away I'd observe the humour in a detached way, like the emotional difference between looking at an ancient sacrificial altar and actually being horribly sacrificed

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Mr Vegetables on July 12, 2022, 10:26:10 AMI guess I mean that the idea of finding it funny is so far away I'd observe the humour in a detached way, like the emotional difference between looking at an ancient sacrificial altar and actually being horribly sacrificed
Also, isn't it meant to be mocking how black sportspeople talk, which is not exactly a good thing? Although old people are racist, so maybe that's the joke? It does rhyme though, so points for that.

dissolute ocelot

Every time I see anything containing pistachios I think about the time in Friends when Monica was unemployed and was asked by an unscrupulous company to create recipes using a fish-based pistachio substitute called "fishtachio".

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

"'Kippers for breakfast, Aunt Helga? Is it St. Swithin's Day already?' 'TIS,' replied Aunt Helllga"

Yussef Dent