Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:16:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Favourite Reece Shearsmith character

Started by holyzombiejesus, June 26, 2022, 07:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

I guess Geoff Tibbs (sic. hi Serge!) is possibly his greatest role although I'm really enjoying his portrayal of Mr Curry in the animated Adventures of Paddington. Then there's Maureen Sowerbutts in Psychoville.

It's almost compulsory to say this but there seems to be such an overlap between Reece and Geoff's characters. That fury always bubbling away under the surface, constantly feeling they're being slighted. I like the way there doesn't really even need to be loads of make up and prosthetics, just let Reece loose.

I like Mr Curry because I can watch it with my boy and it's funny to think that the man responsible for so many grotesques, a man that said he'd have loved to have played Rose West, is there getting all cross 'cause his gnome's been damaged. He's really ace in it too.

Psychoville seems to get a little ignored, maybe because it came in between two more lauded works, but there's a case to be made for it being his and Pembo's finest hour, second series in particular. Despite her being an incestuous murderer, there's a genuine warmth to his portrayal of Maureen and that Tina Turner scene is probably the most I've laughed at anything he's been involved in.

Who would you choose? Show your workings. Points deducted for saying 'hi Reece'. Feel free to start a Steve Pemberton thread while you're at it.

kalowski

I would agree that the Tina Turner scene is one of the greatest and most grotesque moments in comedy. It's utterly amazing. As is when they dance to Superman.
I do think Geoff is his greatest character, but the joy of Pam Doove's first appearance will live with me forever.

checkoutgirl

If the Japanese call The League of Gentlemen "Psychoville", what do they call Psychoville?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 26, 2022, 07:51:10 PM

Beat me to it.

However, Geoff on the roof in LOG Apocalypse asking 'have ya seen me?' is still the hardest I can ever remember laughing, so it probably is Geoff.

Icehaven

JamesTC

Quote from: Icehaven on June 26, 2022, 08:29:10 PMReece Shearsmith.

Beat me to it.

I can never tell how much is him and how much is played up.

bgmnts

Yeah the Tina Turner bit and dancing to Superman by Black Lace is amazing. That character is demented.

I quite like the nutcase he played in Catterick. Obviously it was surrounded by even more insane characters but it's a great performance.

Brundle-Fly

Jerzy Bondov

You're a big woman, but you're a good woman

DigForVictory

He's got loads of amazing ones, always been fond of Ollie Plimsolls and Stella from League of Gentlemen.

But yeah it's clearly Geoff, just an incredible character. Him asking the shopkeeper "Will this kill a fat woman tonight?" and holding up a wrench in the anniversary special had me crying laughing.

Screaming I hate you Mike whilst hugging him and crying at Mikes wedding in the first series , just amazing. Funny and weird and dark,  reminded of the end of that amazing Smashie and Nicey documentary where Nicey is screaming about how he hates Smashie because he's such a bloody good bloke.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Goldentony on June 26, 2022, 10:31:59 PMPlums?

OH WHAT, IN THE JUNGLE??

YEAH COS CHERRIES ARE DEAD SMALL AREN'T THEY?!

I think the answer is Geoff but it's not definitive. So much of Geoff could also go in the Comedy Lines In Subconcious thread:

Quick, get in before this lot

Telling me off for not sending them faxes

They put me in a box with me coat on

Goldentony

YOU ALL KNOW I GOT THIS GUN DONT YER????

Glebe

When I finally got around to watching The Stone Tape last year I was really struck by how much Michael Bryant reminded me of Sheersmith.

Yussef Dent

"HAVE WE MISSED THE CAKES?!"

A one-off character but Mr Lisgoe from the bailiffs in LOG series 3 is a favourite of mine.

dead-ced-dead

The great thing about Reece is there's such a contrast between his sweet, boyish face and the grotesques he plays. Geoff has been mentioned a lot, but only one mention of Ollie Plimsolls:

QuoteSo remember that face, cause next time you see him on the telly you'll be able to say: "Here, mum, I know him. He came to our school, he was in that good play about issues with that Legz-a-what's-it theatre company. I liked him in that, the writing was really good. But he's out of his depth in this. He's rubbish in this. Turn it off, mum, I don't want to watch it."

Des Wigwam

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on June 27, 2022, 09:18:52 AMThe great thing about Reece is there's such a contrast between his sweet, boyish face and the grotesques he plays. Geoff has been mentioned a lot, but only one mention of Ollie Plimsolls:

Good call. I love the quite cheery delivery of

QuoteLesbians, on the other hand, are evil!

I like Bernice but prefer the radio version just because the deep misanthropy is more concentrated.

Olive from the dating agency is a great one-off.

Pimhole

Quote from: Des Wigwam on June 26, 2022, 11:38:46 PMThey put me in a box with me coat on

That's the line. Just laughed at the memory of it.

Yes it probably is Geoff but honourable mention for his performance as Mr Ingleby the tiny shopkeeper in the radio series. The little noises of effort.

(From 7:44)

A couple of lines I often think of or repeat to myself:

"Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?" and "She better have of had."

And this one on an almost daily basis:

oggyraiding

Ollie Plimsolls. I often watch the Scumbelina bit from the live show, maybe my favourite LOG bit ever.

The Ombudsman

His character in Catterick was very good.

LordMorgan

Jesus, he was fucking brilliant in mid morning matters as Jasper Jones

He nailed that sort of I tell it like it is" reactionary prick
Brilliant

Des Wigwam

Quote from: Pimhole on June 27, 2022, 09:49:57 AMYes it probably is Geoff but honourable mention for his performance as Mr Ingleby the tiny shopkeeper in the radio series. The little noises of effort.

Mr Ingleby is not the sort of thing I would usually find funny and yet do. Can you lift me up? is a line I've recycled many times.

Quote from: LordMorgan on June 27, 2022, 10:14:00 AMJesus, he was fucking brilliant in mid morning matters as Jasper Jones

He nailed that sort of I tell it like it is" reactionary prick
Brilliant

Totally.

Josef K

Quite like the character he plays on twitter who namesearches and posts cunty replies to anyone who thinks Inside No. 9 is only 'quite good'

Martin Van Buren Stan

Dunno why but he's one of those actors I can never take seriously in any role. I just see Reece Shearsmith and never any of the characters he's supposed to be playing. Really put me off inside #9 and the league of gentlemen sadly.

holyzombiejesus

Who is your favourite Inside Number 9 character he plays? I like the guy in Nana's Party, mainly due to his delivery of the "I'm on a seafood diet" joke.

The sudden appearance with the guitar in The Harrowing was good too.

poodlefaker

Once saw him walking through Covent Garden in a great hurry, trying not to run, nose in the air, occasionally glancing angrily at his watch. Exactly like one of his characters.