Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:52:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nazi charity investigated

Started by touchingcloth, June 30, 2022, 09:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

I don't trust the New York Post, and even if their story is correct the alleged actions of Cullors don't affect the message of the BLM Movement. It's not like Captain Tom was part of a wider social justice movement, if people were using Captain Tom to criticise the NHS that might be more comparable.

I still support Black Live Matter, the alleged actions of Cullors don't affect my view of the movement or their message.

Also, I doubt many Cabbers had seen this story until now. I'll believe it when I see it in media outlets other than the New York Post, which seems like a US version of The Sun:

QuoteIn 2006, several Asian-American advocacy groups protested the use of the headline "Wok This Way" for a Post article about U.S. president George W. Bush's meeting with Hu Jintao, President of the People's Republic of China.[99]

In 2020, the Post published an article with the headline "Suspected teen gunman Kyle Rittenhouse spotted cleaning Kenosha graffiti before shooting". In response, actress Viola Davis posted a photo on Instagram comparing the headline with the Post's 2012 headline about Trayvon Martin, which read: "Trayvon Martin had traces of marijuana in system at time of death, autopsy reveals." The caption stated: "We need to boycott publications that continue to criminalize innocent [people of color] after they have been murdered by the law!!!"[107]

In April 2021, the Post published a false front-page story asserting that copies of a book by vice president Kamala Harris were being distributed to migrant children at an intake facility in Long Beach, California.[145] Fox News then published a story about the matter, followed by numerous Republican politicians and pundits commenting on it, in some cases speculating that taxpayers were funding the supposed book handouts for Harris's personal profit.[145][146] Responding to questions from Fox News correspondent Peter Doocy, White House press secretary Jen Psaki expressed no knowledge of the matter; the Post then published a new story headlined "Psaki has no answers when asked about Harris' book being given to child migrants."[147] Four days after the original publication, the Post replaced the story with a new version clarifying that just one Harris book had been donated by a community member but maintained that it was an "open-arms gesture by the Biden administration", though there was no evidence of the administration's involvement.[147] Laura Italiano, the author of the story, resigned that day, asserting she had been "ordered" to write it.[64][147]

Martin Van Buren Stan

See this is the demented hysteria I knew I wouldn't puncture. Question a bunch of thieving scumbags spending $6 mil of money donated by ordinary people on a mansion and $35 mil more on other property and you hate "uppity blacks". Question the captain Tom charity trying to pay his relatives £100k and you hate dead soldiers.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Stigdu on July 01, 2022, 01:46:43 PMNah, saying you hope he breaks his hip while raising money for charity, and falls over into his own grave and dies isn't funny. Actually, now I've written it down, it kinda is in a surreal way. But you get my point. Gervais saying it just makes it a famous person still something something nasty about a war hero. It was "the old cunt" at the end which tipped me over the edge, to be honest.  *shrug*

I hope his daughter resurrects him so that he then falls and breaks his hip and they can go on telly together to defraud Chris Tarrant, the various-aged cunts.

touchingcloth

Quote from: JamesTC on July 01, 2022, 01:54:35 PMWould you laugh if somebody said they hoped George Floyd broke his hip whilst raising money for charity?

Didn't think so.

I'd laugh more at that than if say his neck was broken by say a police. I'm not saying I wouldn't laugh at the latter thing, I'd just laugh a bit less than at the former.

bgmnts

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on July 01, 2022, 02:02:39 PMSee this is the demented hysteria I knew I wouldn't puncture. Question a bunch of thieving scumbags spending $6 mil of money donated by ordinary people on a mansion and $35 mil more on other property and you hate "uppity blacks". Question the captain Tom charity trying to pay his relatives £100k and you hate dead soldiers.

Do you understand the difference between George Floyd and black people in america's situation and Capt Tom Moore and his family's situation?

Chollis

there was a whole megathread laughing at George Floyd's death but it got deleted

jobotic

I think we all need to take a step back and check our demented hysteria.

JamesTC

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 01, 2022, 02:04:29 PMI'd laugh more at that than if say his neck was broken by say a police. I'm not saying I wouldn't laugh at the latter thing, I'd just laugh a bit less than at the former.

You'd laugh if somebody said they hoped Captain Tom's neck was broken by police?

Stigdu

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 01, 2022, 02:03:37 PMI hope his daughter resurrects him so that he then falls and breaks his hip and they can go on telly together to defraud Chris Tarrant, the various-aged cunts.

I met Chris Tarrant once. I say 'met.'

He was playing a charity cricket match at our school, so about 35 years ago, and I was too shy to ask for his autograph. Why the hell I wanted his autograph, I don't know. Because I was a Tiswas fan, maybe? Anyway, I asked a friend of mine to take some paper over to him to get it signed. My mate obviously just said "his name is Stacy", so the autographed note I got said something like "To Stacy, Lots of Love, Chris xx"

I felt too embarrassed to ask for another one which was written out to a boy, not a girl.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on July 01, 2022, 02:02:39 PMSee this is the demented hysteria I knew I wouldn't puncture. Question a bunch of thieving scumbags spending $6 mil of money donated by ordinary people on a mansion and $35 mil more on other property and you hate "uppity blacks". Question the captain Tom charity trying to pay his relatives £100k and you hate dead soldiers.

I personally don't hate dead soldiers. The only good Brit soldier's a deed one.

Martin Van Buren Stan

touchingcloth

Quote from: JamesTC on July 01, 2022, 02:07:18 PMYou'd laugh if somebody said they hoped Captain Tom's neck was broken by police?

I'd laugh if Captain Tom kneeled on George Floyd's neck.

Ferris

@Stigdu

Sorry to break kayfabe, but obviously people don't actually wish any harm to anyone. Charity is fine and great, and anything raised to help support a charitable cause by some old bloke is fine by literally every person on the planet.

The point is pushing the envelope and the boundaries of taste to see if you can make a joke so ludicrously over the top it becomes amusing. You inadvertently did it yourself earlier (and I must admit I laughed).

Some posters object to these threads (as you have), and I typically focus on the aftermath (such as the media furore and the dodgy charity fundraising) because I think that's a better target for humour but I don't begrudge other people making whatever gags they want.

Your choices are: recognize these are things obviously said in jest in a grubby corner of the internet akin to mates telling his jokes at the back of the pub, or avoid the thread entirely. You'll have a better time once you pick a lane - posters here do either one with no judgement.

That's the only genuine post you'll get outta me because I don't like to see people feel lost but that's about the long and short of it.

Just think, they are both up there now, looking down on CaB and laughing at everyone getting themselves into a state over this.

"Tomorrow will be a better day, George."

"Fuck off, Tom, I'm still gonna be dead tomorrow."

"Fair fucks, George, you've got me there."

Martin Van Buren Stan

Stigdu

Quote from: Ferris on July 01, 2022, 02:16:48 PM@Stigdu

Sorry to break kayfabe, but obviously people don't actually wish any harm to anyone. Charity is fine and great, and anything raised to help support a charitable cause by some old bloke is fine by literally every person on the planet.

The point is pushing the envelope and the boundaries of taste to see if you can make a joke so ludicrously over the top it becomes amusing. You inadvertently did it yourself earlier (and I must admit I laughed).

Some posters object to these threads (as you have), and I typically focus on the aftermath (such as the media furore and the dodgy charity fundraising) because I think that's a better target for humour but I don't begrudge other people making whatever gags they want.

Your choices are: recognize these are things obviously said in jest in a grubby corner of the internet akin to mates telling his jokes at the back of the pub, or avoid the thread entirely. You'll have a better time once you pick a lane - posters here do either one with no judgement.

That's the only genuine post you'll get outta me because I don't like to see people feel lost but that's about the long and short of it.

Cheers, buddy. Gotcha. All falls into place now. I don't Tweet, but I do Facebook so the lack of smilies and winks has thrown me a bit! My only concern being when a genuine 'call for help' thread starts up (see the 'I feel like Jilling myself' one earlier, how do you know if it's someone pissing about or not? Rhetorical question, btw.

Oh, and I learnt another new word. Kayfabe.

madhair60

it's not funny that Captain Tom's final act on this earth was to poo his pants and say out loud, "oh dear. I have pooed my pants"

touchingcloth

Quote from: Ferris on July 01, 2022, 02:16:48 PM@Stigdu

I agree, but surely you remember how in the wake of David Amess' murder that none of the posts anyone made on the matter were in any way influenced by the overlap he had in the works of Chris Morris?

JamesTC

Quote from: madhair60 on July 01, 2022, 02:27:03 PMit's not funny that Captain Tom's final act on this earth was to poo his pants and say out loud, "oh dear. I have pooed my pants"

Cheeky scamp till the end.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on July 01, 2022, 01:20:48 PMThe only thing that offends me about the attitude to Captain Tom or whoever here is how you all pretend you're not abusing *him* you're just attacking the media and their mawkish sanctification of him or whatever. It's the same with  David Amess, people here were genuinely delighted that he'd been murdered and were celebrating it but hiding behind a veil of irony or iconoclastic satire or other bullshit.

If you want to prove me wrong just show some of the offensive, abusive things you said about George Floyd, his five funerals with golden caskets, the tens of millions of stolen charity money, and the press fanfare that made the Diana reaction look phlegmatic.

Why do you keep coming back to this site then, when you also bitch and moan and misrepresent it on twitter?

Video Game Fan 2000

if there's one thing about the internet we can all agree on, its that there were never enough tasteless jokes about George Floyd

FalknerHinton

I don't hate dead soldiers I actually find them very funny.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 01, 2022, 03:18:52 PMWhy do you keep coming back to this site then, when you also bitch and moan and misrepresent it on twitter?

I actually haven't got a clue what this means and I don't even use Twitter actively

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on July 01, 2022, 04:28:39 PMI actually haven't got a clue what this means and I don't even use Twitter actively

It's spelt actually

If he was charitable and selfless as made out, he'd have auctioned a private viewing of him shooting himself on a live stream for the highest sum. 

RetroRobot

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on July 01, 2022, 01:20:48 PMThe only thing that offends me about the attitude to Captain Tom or whoever here is how you all pretend you're not abusing *him* you're just attacking the media and their mawkish sanctification of him or whatever. It's the same with  David Amess, people here were genuinely delighted that he'd been murdered and were celebrating it but hiding behind a veil of irony or iconoclastic satire or other bullshit.

If you want to prove me wrong just show some of the offensive, abusive things you said about George Floyd, his five funerals with golden caskets, the tens of millions of stolen charity money, and the press fanfare that made the Diana reaction look phlegmatic.

Jesus wept

shoulders

Quite a few of these 'Me vs the forum' people popping up.

Oh no, how you skewer us!

Buelligan

Anyway, Diana was overly thin if anything.

Butchers Blind

Would've loved to have seen CaB in 1997 at the time of the Diana car crash.

bgmnts

Things I'd liked to have seen through the eyes of CaB:

9/11,
Live Aid,
Woodstock,
Water Watergate scandal,
JFK assassination,
Black Death Subforum,
Battle of Hastings,
Julius Caesar assassination.