Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:42:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Laughterama comedy festival in Manchester, 21-25 September

Started by Blinder Data, June 30, 2022, 11:26:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

Decent range of mixed bills - surprised they've got Kitson.

Quote from: https://www.laughterama.com/WEDNESDAY 21 SEPTEMBER
David O'Doherty
Rose Matafeo
Lou Sanders
Josh Jones
Daniel Kitson

THURSDAY 22 SEPTEMBER
Nish Kumar
Tim Key
Amy Gledhill
Mike Wozniak
Catherine Bohart

FRIDAY 23 SEPTEMBER
Milton Jones
Reginald D Hunter
Hannah Platt
Stephen Bailey
Kiri Pritchard-McLean

SATURDAY 24 SEPTEMBER
Phil Wang
Aisling Bea
Fatiha El Ghorri
Rhys James
Ian Smith

Josh Widdicombe
John Robins
Suzi Ruffell
Tadiwa Mahlunge
Ivo Graham

SUNDAY 25 SEPTEMBER
Dylan Moran
Fern Brady
Huge Davies
Maisie Adam

James Acaster
Jamali Maddix
Celya AB
Rosie Jones
John Robins

Open-air comedy in Manchester in late September, though? Ambitious.

Pink Gregory

I'm interested to see what John Robins' next show is.  The Darkness of Robins was great, and obvs the Radio X run is great, but since they've gone to Radio 5 I find him a bit of an insufferable bore.

I've got tickets for the night Kitson's MCing. I was a bit sceptical at first (it screamed of being run by outsiders who don't know how comedy works), but it's from the same team behind Bristol Comedy Garden which seems to have been a success.

It's expensive, but should be fun if a) it doesn't rain and b) they get the right crowds in.

Pink Gregory

Saw Josh Jones as tour support for KP-M and enjoyed him thoroughly.  Very much camp taken to an outrageous degree.

Peabo Bryson Is Not Dead

I've never not had a wash out while being at the Castlefield Bowl, or never not seen Guy Garvey in that pokey pub on the way back up to Deansgate.

Decent, yet predictable and insular line up. There's not a lot of grind and antagonism there. And I don't mean add Simon Evans to the bill.

And I love Robins but completely understand what you mean, Pink Gregory. Hot Shame was, imo, even better than Darkness. Radio 5 ramps up the Partridge but with a lack of music, the content is relentless and there's no breathing room to appreciate some excellent lines. I want Robins to soar because it must be galling to see joint Edinburgh winner Gadsby be a Netflix dahling now and Elis James being the new Frank Skinner. He's not a pure storyteller, he's not a gagsmith; He's the peculiar and brilliant John Robins.

There's a bit of discussion about Kitson's performance in the Kitson thread (he was on remarkable form). My concerns about the event quickly disappeared: the venue worked, it was well organised and there were no dickheads. Though torrential rain is forecast for tonight which could cause chaos.

Tiggles

Sunday was interesting. Decent compèring from Adam and Robins (not Kitson level, of course). Enjoyable sets from most, with Key and Acaster being real cuts above; audience eating out of their hands. 

Moran left me confused. I've seen him a few times over the past 20 years and I think he is an exceptional stand-up. Yesterday felt different; while I enjoyed his "jazz" rambling and some of his more focused bits, it felt chaotic in a way that didn't work for me. I entirely accept that I may have missed the joke.

King Gizard