Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:09:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shit artists you have a weird fascination with

Started by purlieu, July 22, 2022, 04:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badaids

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on July 24, 2022, 11:32:20 AMThere are other tracks from Appetite for Destruction where I almost get the appeal and Slash* is pretty inventive but

Sweet Child O' Mine: first thirty seconds of this song are comically bad. fucking stupid new wave fairground bollocks with oooohh wooaahh ooooahh singing, how on earth is this canonically brilliant rock music. Then a serious bit where it gets all scary and heavy. Oooohhh gritty. Knock Knock Knocking On Heavens door is ridiculous too.

*looking for reasons to like his band since he told the Guardian that Zola's Germinal was his shit. anyone who tells the Guardian that is aesthetically valid on at least some level, I'm surprised they didn't respond by accusing him of being antisemite populist antifeminist or other boo words you'd say to a brown guy in the papers if you're a graun hack.

Mr Brownstone is good thought, isn't it? Isn't it?

famethrowa

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on July 23, 2022, 06:43:08 PMAnother case of this is Pink whose visuals and videos are all done with a collaborater and she is very successful despite being despairingly horrible and bad on every level. Every part of her career has been guided by exploitation:

True, everything Pink is just so desperately commercial. As a Gallagher once sagely said, "Where's the bandwagon? Park it outside my house."

Kankurette

I'll always love Who Knew? though.

I saw Republica on tour with Space - they did a double header tour a few years ago - and they were surprisingly good, if samey. They had a song called Out of the Darkness I quite liked. Saffron is bugfuck mental though. Proper conspiracy theorist.

Pauline Walnuts

GR-eight dancer though.

Jockice

Not that they're shit (I really like several of their songs) but Wet Wet Wet. Probably because they're around the same age as me and from a few miles from my hometown. It's like if some of the blokes I meet in the pub on my visits back had become a huge pop band. Although admittedly none of them look like Marti Pellow.

Marilyn. Can't fully explain this one. Certainly the looks have something to do with it (come on, admit it, he was fucking gorgeous in his heyday) but there's also something about his whole life story that I find fascinating. It would make a great autobiography if he ever got round to it. Still never heard his album. I'm not that interested in the music. I thought the first two singles were okay though.

This is a decent endurance challenge. I managed about 2 minutes before it stopped being brilliant, and was still spotting new things in it.

popcorn

Quote from: popcorn on July 23, 2022, 10:51:25 AMHere's what they sound like these days:

It's one of those things where it's actually mystifyingly bad. I can't work out what went wrong. The guitar is out of tune from the start, the strummed chords sound horrible. But then he seems to play the riff and sing an entire half-step down? I love the BIMM lad on drums there too, doing his industry placement.

It seems I messed the youtube embed up. Here's the correct one: https://youtu.be/DZK_m98tstM

idunnosomename

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on July 25, 2022, 11:09:47 AMThis is a decent endurance challenge. I managed about 2 minutes before it stopped being brilliant, and was still spotting new things in it.

This is a very funny bit of writing about it
https://consequence.net/2013/02/zoo-story-axl-roses-gimme-some-reggae-has-briefly-taken-over-my-life/

The sad thing is a lot of the originals of that video got copyright striked as it's taken from an official concert video. Havent seen it for a while

Gimme some reggae!

The Crumb

Part of me wants to go to the gathering of the Juggalos just once.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Jockice on July 25, 2022, 10:17:40 AMNot that they're shit (I really like several of their songs) but Wet Wet Wet. Probably because they're around the same age as me and from a few miles from my hometown. It's like if some of the blokes I meet in the pub on my visits back had become a huge pop band. Although admittedly none of them look like Marti Pellow.
In a similar vein (although I'm a fair bit younger than them), for me it'd be Deacon Blue. They were bloody huge on Radio Cumbria in the late 80s/early 90s - crossover Scottish audience perhaps being a reason why - to the degree that if I hear them by chance I find myself humming along with the lyrics, and I even have a copy of their 'Our Town' compilation: 50p from Sue Ryder in Didsbury, since you asked.

And I find it amusing they got their name from a Steely Dan number, but apparently took absolutely zero influence from Walt and Don beyond that.

The Mollusk

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on July 25, 2022, 05:42:39 PMAnd I find it amusing they got their name from a Steely Dan number, but apparently took absolutely zero influence from Walt and Don beyond that.

Did Steely Dan ever show much influence in their music that they took from name of the dildo in Naked Lunch?

Pauline Walnuts

poodlefaker

Wayne Newton. Know nothing about him, just that "Danke Schoen" is such a weird, unnerving, creepy bastard of a song. His voice, the lyrics, the way he sings DONKER SHANE. The "tore your dress" bit: it reminds me of a young Donald Trump for some reason. Can't believe Scorsese or Lynch have never used it.

First time I heard of him was in an episode of Roseanne in the 90s, when she keeps going on about going to Vegas and seeing Wayne Newton - I don't think he's ever been well-known in the UK.

And the way he looks now, fucking hell. DONKER SHAAANE.

the science eel

Bucks Fizz and the spinoff band and all the in-fighting. I thought that was a favourite topic here. I seem to remember a long thread a while back

the science eel

Oh, and Gentle Giant. They're really terrible but occasionally great. They dug musical holes nobody else would ever even think about and buried themselves up to their necks in them, surfacing once or twice to make vaguely commercial material which was utterly appalling by any standard.

Some great album covers and some of the worst crap ever. Really interestingly bad.

poodlefaker

Morrissey, I guess. I was a huge fan, from "This Charming Man" (I was 14) until it really started to go to shit in the mid-90s. Even then I'd be telling people that the good stuff was on the b-sides etc. I haven't put any money his way since Southpaw Grammar, but I still take a grim fascination in his career, the "developments", how terrible he looks these days, wondering why he carries on. Cringing at the devotedness of his fans.

He could have a very easy life now - a weekly show on 6Music syndicated worldwide, writing gigs, a handful of festivals every summer, fashion collabs: a revered National Treasure.

If only he weren't such a festering arse who fucks off everyone he comes into contact with.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: The Mollusk on July 25, 2022, 07:20:45 PMDid Steely Dan ever show much influence in their music that they took from name of the dildo in Naked Lunch?
Never read Burroughs, so I'll defer judgement to others on that one, though being on the gear has certainly been the theme of at least one Steely Dan song I can think of ('Time Out of Mind').

the science eel

Quote from: poodlefaker on July 25, 2022, 07:43:04 PMMorrissey, I guess. I was a huge fan, from "This Charming Man" (I was 14) until it really started to go to shit in the mid-90s. Even then I'd be telling people that the good stuff was on the b-sides etc. I haven't put any money his way since Southpaw Grammar, but I still take a grim fascination in his career, the "developments", how terrible he looks these days, wondering why he carries on. Cringing at the devotedness of his fans.

ah no

Poobum

Similar vein to Buck's Fizz, Dschinghis Khan, gloriously naff and also descending into competing bands and lawsuits. Suing not to have credit I imagine!

Kankurette

The band that launched a thousand YTMND memes.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: the science eel on July 25, 2022, 07:37:08 PMOh, and Gentle Giant. They're really terrible but occasionally great. They dug musical holes nobody else would ever even think about and buried themselves up to their necks in them, surfacing once or twice to make vaguely commercial material which was utterly appalling by any standard.

Some great album covers and some of the worst crap ever. Really interestingly bad.

I referenced them as a shorthand for prog being shit for ages and I've seen them become a meme that way probably because of disparity between those covers and the content of the records but I went through a summer of listening to MF Doom over and over and I gave them another go because of Strange Ways. Their classic and later over serious records are fucking bollocks for sure, awkward to listen to and all that but I really liked Power and the Glory! Its great. If someone told me it was a German or Scandi band I'd have been well into it, its still corny but Proclaimation fucking grooves and some of the rest sounds like BBC soundtrack covers of Polvo. Maybe its just so shit that's shat itself over to the other side but I really do like it.

Jockice

the science eel

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on July 26, 2022, 01:50:36 AMI referenced them as a shorthand for prog being shit for ages and I've seen them become a meme that way probably because of disparity between those covers and the content of the records but I went through a summer of listening to MF Doom over and over and I gave them another go because of Strange Ways. Their classic and later over serious records are fucking bollocks for sure, awkward to listen to and all that but I really liked Power and the Glory! Its great. If someone told me it was a German or Scandi band I'd have been well into it, its still corny but Proclaimation fucking grooves and some of the rest sounds like BBC soundtrack covers of Polvo. Maybe its just so shit that's shat itself over to the other side but I really do like it.

No, that's great to read! And I like those tracks you single out too.

I suppose to be completely honest I don't know what to make of them. They sometimes make me want to throw up, but now and again I'll hear something that makes me think they were geniuses - just that they chose not to show it most of the time. Or something.

purlieu

I sometimes think Gentle Giant are the only prog band you need. Like all the more ridiculous bits of other prog bands randomly bolted together. Why sit through a five minute Rick Wakeman solo when Gentle Giant could have gone into a weird plinky plonky section, a folk song and half a minute of blues rock in the same space of time?

kalowski

Quote from: SpiderChrist on July 23, 2022, 06:28:30 PMI love 'Neither Fish Nor Flesh'. It's dated an awful lot better than the Martyn Ware produced debut album with all the hits on.
I was always annoyed (much more than was ever necessary) by the liner note that said something like "Church Organ from St Michael's Church, Shoreditch - Sorry about the empty cans we left behind". I'm not religious in any way but it always felt really disrespectful that the band had used some church organ and left a load of empty cans behind. As rock and roll as Jez pissing on the church. ("Pissing on a church. Richard Dawkins may talk the talk, but does he walk the walk?")

George White

Quote from: poodlefaker on July 25, 2022, 07:31:09 PMWayne Newton. Know nothing about him, just that "Danke Schoen" is such a weird, unnerving, creepy bastard of a song. His voice, the lyrics, the way he sings DONKER SHANE. The "tore your dress" bit: it reminds me of a young Donald Trump for some reason. Can't believe Scorsese or Lynch have never used it.

First time I heard of him was in an episode of Roseanne in the 90s, when she keeps going on about going to Vegas and seeing Wayne Newton - I don't think he's ever been well-known in the UK.

And the way he looks now, fucking hell. DONKER SHAAANE.
He's a kind of American Des O'Connor-type.
THe king of Vegas clubland, had a few hits in the US in the 60s/70s, was basically Femboy Elvis (at least until the mid-70s. Initially, he was this kind of femboy/eternal schoolboy - there were/are rumours that he either had a puberty-delaying condition or was some kind of intersex, or is a stealth trans man. His voice never broke, and then in the 70s, his voice slowly started to get less slightly femme-sounding, but still fairly high.
 I believe he put himself on testoterone to deepen his voice, and by the early 80s, he now had this tache and slicked back black hair and oddly unnatural tache, like a pound shop Robert Goulet, which was when he really became a phenomena limited to Vegas.

He's 21-22 here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvZzdnH7Yrs

His UK exposure is pretty much just variety shows. Val Doonican SHow in the 60s with variously Jim Dale and Les Dawson, Dee TIme, Kenneth Williams' International Cabaret..
I think he just may have been too strange for Britain.

willbo

Quote from: poodlefaker on July 25, 2022, 07:43:04 PMHe could have a very easy life now - a weekly show on 6Music syndicated worldwide, writing gigs, a handful of festivals every summer, fashion collabs: a revered National Treasure.

doesn't he live in mansions in California and Rome?

Video Game Fan 2000

He's also apparently an unfulfilled alcoholic who destroyed the one thing that really mattered to him, his rapport with his fans. He could have had the respect in the world and the mansions. His autobiography was received very well but everyone pointed and laughed at his novel, unless they were too ashamed to have liked to him to acknowledge its existence.

non capisco

One day I will pin down exactly what fascinates me about Coast To Coast and their 1981 hit '(Do) The Hucklebuck'. Why I keep coming back to it like a tongue probing a mouth ulcer. It's not just their unusual looking awkward frontman who looks like he's been transported from the frames of a Swiss Toni origin story and suffered concussion on the way. It's the sound of it as well. The backing singers sounding like a factory siren heralding a hard day's end, the queasy chuckling saxophones. I sincerely love this record and all the performances I've ever seen of it and I struggle to articulate why. I can't pin it down. I don't love anything contemporaneous and similar by Darts, Rocky Sharpe and the Replays or the Confederate flag toting wrong 'uns Matchbox. But for some reason I do love this whilst readily acknowledging it is shit.

Wriggle like a snake, waddle like a duck, shut up about this non capisco, for the love of fuck.

Poobum

Also fascinated by that because he just makes me think of Jack Nance and the unsettling uncanny of the Lady in the Radiator. Why do they smile so?