Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:20:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pulp reunion 2023

Started by sutin, July 25, 2022, 10:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sutin

Jarvis confirmed today that Pulp are playing shows next year. May or may not be to celebrate This Is Hardcore's 25th anniversary.

Damn.

sutin

Backed up by Nick Banks. It's happening!!

the science eel

Fuckin A.

One of my very favourite bands, never got a chance to see them live back in the day.

Jarvis' Glasto set - much as I love him - was pretty poor stew. I think IN HIS HEART OF HEARTS he realises it too.

God bless them all. Looking forward to this a great deal.

imitationleather

That's it. I'm cancelling my plans for 2023!!

Christ, just realised when I last saw them it was on their previous reunion tour, eleven years ago!

Wonder if Candida will be involved this time, as I think it was her health problems that led to the last big hiatus.

sutin

I did wonder about Candida. Maybe she can manage a shorter tour. The 2011-2012 schedule would've been pretty gruelling.

PaulTMA

I think I'm right in remembering they didn't really tour the UK when they last reformed.  I got to see their Primavera show which was like a weird fever dream in hindsight, as copious amounts of Jager were necked as an attempt to be suitably merry without needing to pee.  Quite a hazy experience but I cannot forget being in a scrum of insane Spanish fans screeching along to This Is Hardcore and having to fight very hard to try and face the front, such was the mass squish of Spain folk.  Also Russell was there and even came back on to play on the end of Sunrise, which was nice. 

sutin

Yeah, it was more of a festival tour but they did do a lot of dates.

homesickalien

The band that got me into music, I saw them at Leeds 2002 but that was it.

I really enjoyed seeing JarvIS live tbf as hes a good performer but yeh overjoyed at this.

Judging by youtube videos of their last tour they seemed to be really into it which was nice so hopefully it's the same this time.

sutin

Loved them and all Jarvis's solo stuff. Only saw Pulp once (Hyde Park 2011) and never thought i'd get the chance again. Fantastic news.

Black Ship

Ah shit...here we go again 🤣

Black Ship

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on July 25, 2022, 10:34:25 PMChrist, just realised when I last saw them it was on their previous reunion tour, eleven years ago!

Wonder if Candida will be involved this time, as I think it was her health problems that led to the last big hiatus.

Posters on the Pulp fan forum "Bar Italia" were speculating about that. The last time we saw Candida was with Jarvis on Bargain Hunt 4 years ago, and while not exactly frail she did seem a little delicate.

Enzo

Quote from: Black Ship on July 26, 2022, 12:18:56 AMPosters on the Pulp fan forum "Bar Italia" were speculating about that. The last time we saw Candida was with Jarvis on Bargain Hunt 4 years ago, and while not exactly frail she did seem a little delicate.

Just looking back at some of promo shots of that, her hands do look fucked :(

phes

Recall seeing that Story of Common People doc to celebrate ten years and it was obvious in that how much her condition was impacting her body. I saw a clip a few years back and she was talking about how it started when she was 16 and took her decades to even admit it and really get help.

I'm 100% on this either way.

Brundle-Fly

My mate's band supported them at the Islington Powerhaus 1992. I helped Jarvis in the bogs put his contact lenses in. Bring it on. Cue @Jockice?

Ferris

I saw him adjust the under-hair massive elastic band he uses to keep his glasses in place, in the parking lot of a mutual rehearsal space near kelham island.

I was in the bogs to smoke a cig and noticed it had a gold arctic monkeys record hanging in there.

Can Jockice top that?!

Jockice

Yeah, course I can. I went to Nick Banks' party a couple of weeks ago. In his garden. And he fell over directly in front of me. Not pissed or anything. He was carrying stuff and tripped over a groundsheet. He was last seen holding a bag of frozen peas to his wrist.

I know as much about this reunion as you lot do though. We didn't really talk shop at the do. And none of the other Pulp members were there, which is quite unusual for these things.

But yeah, bring it on.

JohnnyCouncil

Looking forward to this, my guess is that they'll headline the legends night at Glastonbury.

Line-up then...

Jarv
Nick
Steve (schoolyard controversy over at Bar Italia that they've unfollowed one another on Insta)
Mark Webber
Leo Abrahams (replacing Russell, as per the last tour)
Candida (health permitting)
Hawley?

Joe Qunt

CAB meetup at the Pulp gig! It'll be grand!

Jockice

Quote from: Joe Qunt on July 26, 2022, 09:11:37 AMCAB meetup at the Pulp gig! It'll be grand!

I'll be backstage I'm afraid.

Joe Qunt

Quote from: Jockice on July 26, 2022, 09:25:35 AMI'll be backstage I'm afraid.

Get me some of Jarv's pubic trimmings.

Jockice

Quote from: Joe Qunt on July 26, 2022, 09:28:45 AMGet me some of Jarv's pubic trimmings.

But everybody wants them.

Joe Qunt

Rich Uncle Skeleton

YES! fucking great. Felt greedy seeing them three times times 2011 but they were some of the best gigs I ever went to. Thought they'd wrapped it up for good.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Set opener, calling it now.

Jockice

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on July 26, 2022, 09:52:14 AM

Set opener, calling it now.

Not, as often suggested, their worst ever song. That award goes to TV Movie.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Jockice on July 26, 2022, 09:56:08 AMNot, as often suggested, their worst ever song. That award goes to TV Movie.

TV Movie is a special kind of bad (especially on an album that should be this career defining classic but sunk by some right filler). but the unintended comedy value of Silence definitely wins it.

Love that not only did they have the neck to play Silence live back then but on the only recording I've heard the crowd goes nuts for it and it got a special mention in a gig review!

dontpaintyourteeth

The Will to Power is worse