Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,476
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:04:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pulp reunion 2023

Started by sutin, July 25, 2022, 10:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I feel like This is Hardcore (the album) was underrated at first and then overrated in response. It's probably somewhere in the middle. For all its reputation as the dark, difficult follow up to the big pop smash, I'm not sure there's anything on it that really outdoes "I Spy" or "Pencil Skirt" for bitterness and sleaze.

I'm in two minds about this. Pulp are one of my all time favourite bands, my first favourite band in fact (and one of the few not to be #cancelled in recent years). I regretted missing out on the previous reunion, so it could be great to take the, possibly last, chance to see them play live again.

On the other hand, fucked if I'm going to spend 80 quid or something to see my now very middle aged idols (and probably some anonymous backup musicians) reflect my own encroaching oldness back at me. Even as a spry yoof, I never particularly enjoyed standing around and waiting in a big crowd for ages. Plus, I've got no one to go with, unless I fancy travelling 5 hours up to Leeds and imposing upon an old school friend I've not seen in years (and his family).

New page: Cunts are still running the world.

the science eel

Jarv can get tips anew when he sees his idol "OLD BRY" touring later this year.

Black Ship

Quote from: PaulTMA on July 26, 2022, 01:38:29 PMI'm not sure but didn't OU and Countdown immediately get dropped and never returned to the setlist?

Got played in California

SweetPomPom

Quote from: Black Ship on July 27, 2022, 10:31:30 PMGot played in California

Both played at Brixton in 2011, Wickerman too - Hawley had replaced Russell by this point.

Black Ship

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on July 26, 2022, 01:29:30 PMAm I to infer from all this that people actually like Seductive Barry

The live version is fucking epic.

Why is Mark Webber such an underrated guitar player? That guy can REALLY FUCKING PLAY.

sutin

I could live with never hearing Seductive Barry again.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: SweetPomPom on July 27, 2022, 10:41:01 PMBoth played at Brixton in 2011

didn't realise (til checking setlist.fm the other day) I was quite lucky to hear both O.U. and Countdown at Brixton. only played 3-4 times each that year, then around the same amount in 2012. I'd just assumed they'd stuck around all tour.

Countdown especially was a highlight given me and a mate had been banging on about it all day thinking they'll never play it. then after the first song Jarvis says now they're doing smaller indoor gigs they can shake things up a bit then bang Countdown second song in. I also remember O.U. for Jarvis throwing a bit of a wobbly at a sound person, angrily thumping that big drum of his during in the intro.

still amazed at how great they were on that tour. I wasn't expecting them to be bad or disappointing but I didn't expect to come away from Glastonbury, for example, thinking that was the best, most exciting gig I've ever been to!

Black Ship

We've been spotted by a fellow poster on the Bar Italia forum. Wave everyone!

Jockice

It's Nick's birthday today you know. And it was his lovely wife Sarah's two days ago.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Black Ship on July 28, 2022, 03:06:32 PMWe've been spotted by a fellow poster on the Bar Italia forum. Wave everyone!

haha oh my god I thought your face looked familiar on here! I'm surprised the Mark Webber post didn't jog my memory

SweetPomPom

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on July 28, 2022, 02:28:43 PMI also remember O.U. for Jarvis throwing a bit of a wobbly at a sound person, angrily thumping that big drum of his during in the intro.

I think that was Mark for daring to tune up while his lordship was talking - Jarvis properly lost it for a couple of mins. Stroppy git!

Rich Uncle Skeleton

that too! and telling Candida off for starting a song too early, probably remembering it wrong but I think the crowd did give him a sarcastic "oooo!" at some point as he was obviously in a mood all night. great gig though.

Black Ship

Quote from: SweetPomPom on July 28, 2022, 04:42:47 PMI think that was Mark for daring to tune up while his lordship was talking - Jarvis properly lost it for a couple of mins. Stroppy git!

IIRC this was just before Common People at the first night at Brixton 2011. Then again Jarvis does have a habit of laying into Mark a bit. Sometimes it is justified but often times it's just a bit mean.

Candida did get hit for triggering the Vocoder sample early at Albert Hall. He didn't exactly lay into her (I don't think he'd dare tbh) but he did rebuke her for it.

Jockice

Quote from: Black Ship on July 28, 2022, 06:55:05 PMIIRC this was just before Common People at the first night at Brixton 2011. Then again Jarvis does have a habit of laying into Mark a bit. Sometimes it is justified but often times it's just a bit mean.

Yeah, I saw him do it at V96 in Warrington. Can't remember exactly what he said but it went on a bit.

SteveDave

I wish I'd talked to Mark when I saw him at a Father John Misty show a few years ago. When I was in the Pulp People fanclub, he sent me a handwritten page about his favourite albums covers for my A Level art coursework (which was on album covers). I might still have that somewhere...

Stonefish

Oh exciting, I'd love a new Pulp album too but seems unlikely. Enjoying the stories various cabbers have posted as well as some of the very controversial opinions #teambarry

Black Ship

Quote from: SteveDave on July 29, 2022, 09:47:53 AMI wish I'd talked to Mark when I saw him at a Father John Misty show a few years ago. When I was in the Pulp People fanclub, he sent me a handwritten page about his favourite albums covers for my A Level art coursework (which was on album covers). I might still have that somewhere...

I used to have a handwritten reply to a fan letter from Mark, which was my absolute favourite possession until I lost in a house fire in 2015.

I was also a member of the fan club and wrote several pretty lengthy reviews, which I think got publish in full, one for Little Stabs at Happiness 2nd anniversary, one for the fan club concert at Highbury garage and one for "The Day of Reckoning" a serious of short films about Death that Mark curated at the Battersea arts centre in 2000.

Quote from: Jockice on July 26, 2022, 01:18:28 PMLong time ago though. Early 90s. A schoolmate lived in Camberwell at the time and was also quite matey with Jarvis so I'd see him at parties etc occasionally. Just never in the Grove though.

But another school friend once bumped into Jarvis there who was apparently quite rude to him. Strange. Especially since they have the same birthday.

What did Jarvis do?

He can be pissy if bothered during outings with family/friends as is understandable. But he's normally super cool, polite and doesn't mind.

Anyone have any cool Pulp stories?

And any other theories of where and what kinda tour this will be?

sutin

Jarvis was very nice to me in the lobby of the Royal Festival Hall before DEVO's concert as part of his Meltdown in 2007. He was also very nice to my brother and his friend when he was DJing in some tiny LA bar a few years ago. In conclusion, Jarvis is nice.

Pauline Walnuts

Glad to see Jarvis is being a total plank to rest of his band on stager as he's near the top of my 'used to like then, but you've really gone off them now' list.

PaulTMA

Back soon destroying Pulp collection

Black Ship

Tbh Jarvis has never really been my favourite of Pulp. Maybe initially, but the Reygate/News of the World incident quickly put paid to that. Both female parties being called Sarah, I kind of took it personally.

I don't no why I attached to Mark so much. Maybe it's because he reminded me of my Dad's side of the family who at the time (following my father's death) my mother and I had become somewhat segregated from. It didnt help that they all lived in Ireland. My uncles and aunts are all short, reddish brown hair, blue eyed, round faced - and quite a few of them played guitar, and I'm drawn to people who remind me of that.

Maybe it's because he's a quiet person and I was surrounded by loud people who always tried to shout me down.

Maybe it's just because he he seemed lonely and sad, a bit isolated even in a crowd of people, and I could empathise.

I just don't know. He's still my favourite member of the band, and this isn't just as a guitarist/keyboardist, in fact in all the times I've met him it was never in the capacity of a musician, it was always as a film curator. Most people don't get to see their favourite pop stars off stage, but I did and I'll never regret that.

Black Ship

And in Jarvis's defence, all the times that I met him at LS@H he was always very polite and willing to talk. When I saw him at Hawley's concert in 2010, I said Hello Jarvis and he smiled back. (I didn't really get time to talk to him and I didnt really want to bother him tbh.)

Don't destroy your Pulp albums Paul. There were other people in that band as well. Did what I do, try to filter out the lyrics and listen to the music. It is surprising what you can hear when you do.

Same with the visuals. Look past Jarvis and you'll see some pretty funny things. Mark dancing down the stage with his guitar or serenading Candida in the middle of Help the Aged. Hawley having a private joke with Steve at the side of the stage. These are the things you miss if you just focus on the lead singer.

Jockice

Quote from: DottedPotsandPans on August 03, 2022, 09:08:27 PMWhat did Jarvis do?

He can be pissy if bothered during outings with family/friends as is understandable. But he's normally super cool, polite and doesn't mind.

He was just really offhand from what I've been told. This is before he became particularly famous incidentally, I think it was about 92. The thing is this guy from school was a big Pulp fan in the early 80s and had even seen them live before me, four days before to be precise. So when he unexpectedly saw Jarvis in the pub in London he went over to have a word with him

It's entirely possible (in fact more than likely) that Jarvis didn't recognise him from concerts a decade ago or just wasn't in the mood, but my friend was a bit taken aback at his response, especially when he just intended to tell Jarvis how much he'd enjoyed those early concerts. But I wasn't there, so only have one side of the story. In all the times I've interviewed/spoken to Jarvis since then I've never thought of asking: "Why were you such a twat to Adam ****** in the Grove that time?"

PaulTMA

Quote from: Black Ship on August 04, 2022, 12:42:30 PMAnd in Jarvis's defence, all the times that I met him at LS@H he was always very polite and willing to talk. When I saw him at Hawley's concert in 2010, I said Hello Jarvis and he smiled back. (I didn't really get time to talk to him and I didnt really want to bother him tbh.).

Don't destroy your Pulp albums Paul. There were other people in that band as well. Did what I do, try to filter out the lyrics and listen to the music. It is surprising what you can hear when you do.

Same with the visuals. Look past Jarvis and you'll see some pretty funny things. Mark dancing down the stage with his guitar or serenading Candida in the middle of Help the Aged. Hawley having a private joke with Steve at the side of the stage. These are the things you miss if you just focus on the lead singer.

It's alright, just joking.  I've heard about a guy who is friends with friends of mine know who apparently live-streamed him smashing up his Morrissey collection on FB (or something), so was just being daft and comparing it to that kind of thing (which is about as ludicrous IMO).  I also got to meet Jarvis 5 years ago and he couldn't have been nicer, especially considering the tripe I was saying to him.

sutin

Quote from: Black Ship on August 04, 2022, 12:31:05 PMthe Reygate/News of the World incident

What is this? As a long time Jarvis fan, do I want to know?

Quote from: sutin on August 03, 2022, 09:51:13 PMJarvis was very nice to me in the lobby of the Royal Festival Hall before DEVO's concert as part of his Meltdown in 2007. He was also very nice to my brother and his friend when he was DJing in some tiny LA bar a few years ago. In conclusion, Jarvis is nice.

Yup, from most everything I've heard/read from people over the years that have met him: fans, non-fans, professional industry people, people who've just randomly bumped into him (which seems to be reallllly common over in that area of England and an ongoing joke in some circles due to how very common "Jarvis Sightings" are, and him in various, random places and situations) is that he's always really exceptionally nice, normal. Same with all the members. Have hardly heard anything 'bad' apart from someone was moody that day or whatever. LOL

Jarvis' Meltdown fest 2007 was brilliant!

Quote from: Jockice on August 04, 2022, 01:40:07 PMHe was just really offhand from what I've been told. This is before he became particularly famous incidentally, I think it was about 92. The thing is this guy from school was a big Pulp fan in the early 80s and had even seen them live before me, four days before to be precise. So when he unexpectedly saw Jarvis in the pub in London he went over to have a word with him

It's entirely possible (in fact more than likely) that Jarvis didn't recognise him from concerts a decade ago or just wasn't in the mood, but my friend was a bit taken aback at his response, especially when he just intended to tell Jarvis how much he'd enjoyed those early concerts. But I wasn't there, so only have one side of the story. In all the times I've interviewed/spoken to Jarvis since then I've never thought of asking: "Why were you such a twat to Adam ****** in the Grove that time?"

Maybe Jarvis had too much to drink or having a bad day.
Also, around that time period was when he said he was going through a particularly moody time, or thereabouts shortly before that, frustrated with trying to get the band going and other stuff.

Regardless, was just curious. No big deal really.

How many early gigs did you get to attend and what were your favorites of that era? We talking "It" album era, too?