Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,469
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:02:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Hyped by the press acts you never understood

Started by thelittlemango, July 26, 2022, 01:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Video Game Fan 2000

that works for me, its commited to it

reminds me of Sebadoh's cover of Crest

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on August 03, 2022, 06:41:39 PMthat works for me, its commited to it

reminds me of Sebadoh's cover of Crest
Ooh, that's good, I'd not heard it before.

Goldentony

funny to read The Strokes use the same vocal recording techniques as forum favourites SUTCLIFFE JUGEND

Capt.Midnight

Interesting that people don't get the feels for BOC.. For me, no other act has managed to accurately invoke super strong feelings of nostalgia/childhood, on top of a second-hand nostalgia regarding old 70's science videos, VHS sounds etc. I'm assuming whoever feels a bit 'meh' about them doesn't get those feelings or associations? Anyway, wasn't a big fan of Campfire Headphase bar the main track & I think their drum production/style hasn't aged too well.

I remember a really short, intense media hype around Glasvegas. They were alright but the hype was truly off-putting. 

purlieu

I think I'd get that from BoC if it weren't for the beats. It's why I find a lot of the Ghost Box stuff a lot more successful. Even then, though, I have to be in a very specific mood for it. I suppose it's not what I generally listen to electronic music for. I have a lot of nostalgia for the '80s but I don't really enjoy synthwave either.

Kankurette

Quote from: Capt.Midnight on August 03, 2022, 10:26:08 PMInteresting that people don't get the feels for BOC.. For me, no other act has managed to accurately invoke super strong feelings of nostalgia/childhood, on top of a second-hand nostalgia regarding old 70's science videos, VHS sounds etc. I'm assuming whoever feels a bit 'meh' about them doesn't get those feelings or associations? Anyway, wasn't a big fan of Campfire Headphase bar the main track & I think their drum production/style hasn't aged too well.

I remember a really short, intense media hype around Glasvegas. They were alright but the hype was truly off-putting. 
Were they on Creation as well by any chance? That might explain the hype. I remember they got their original drummer because they thought she looked right, never mind if she could play or not.

buzby

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 03, 2022, 06:28:39 PM

Here's a band who seem to have applied the effect to every single part of their music.

I do really like this song, I think it's a great little slice of power pop but the decision to filter everything is stupid
Hmm, initially I thought it had been mixed to sound likea 7-inch single played on a Dansette, but on getting to the bit in the middle where the instruments drop out so it's just the vocal, the (fake?) 50Hz hum in the background makes makes me think they wanted it to sound like someone had recorded it from the TV with a cassette player in front of the speaker.

Quote from: Kankurette on August 03, 2022, 11:59:52 PMWere they on Creation as well by any chance? That might explain the hype. I remember they got their original drummer because they thought she looked right, never mind if she could play or not.
Nah, Creation had long since gone down the pan by the time Glasvegas came along, McGee was an early fan and friend of the band though, and hyped them up in the press and on his social media accounts, and he later became their manager after he set up Creation Management.

Brundle-Fly

Please tell me I'm not the only person who thought the references to 'BoC' were referring to Blue Öyster Cult?  I even own MHTRTC Braille edition CD too.

Video Game Fan 2000

Blue Oyster Cult are more hauntological since they do songs about Hitler's ghost and the Joan Crawford

Goldentony

yeah i've been reading this as Blue Oyster Cult, still no idea who the other BOC are, never going to bother looking it up

Kankurette

Capt.Midnight

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 04, 2022, 01:24:07 AMPlease tell me I'm not the only person who thought the references to 'BoC' were referring to Blue Öyster Cult?  I even own MHTRTC Braille edition CD too.

I remember being very dissapointed when I downloaded BOC live sets off Napster. The downloads would take weeks.

idunnosomename

I used to have this trouble in the early 00s too but luckily no one talks about Boards of Canada anymore

Really it should be BoC and BÖC and no confusion

Video Game Fan 2000

"Orange? Yeah! That's right" v "Radios Appear"

not much contest. though Boards of Canada aren't bad but they're one of the one of the most inexplicably canonised bands. what was supposed to be innovative about it? Geogaddi had a bit more staying power, i liked Twoism but i havent heard i tfor at least 20 years. Music had the Right sounds like borrows from indie hiphop plastered with retro sounds. just a weird thing for music writers to decide is the most innovative electronic music around

Blue Jam

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on July 26, 2022, 02:52:38 PMhttps://www.nme.com/news/music/terris-3-1386811

Imagine reading this and then hearing their music

QuoteAnd their opinion on Catatonia and Stereophonics' pal Tom Jones? "It's like Tom Jones and Shirley Bassey who made it embarrassing to come from Wales".

Well that can fuck right off. Have you ever done a Bond theme, Terris? HAVE YOU?

Ascent

Quote from: Capt.Midnight on August 04, 2022, 11:28:18 AMI remember being very dissapointed when I downloaded BOC live sets off Napster. The downloads would take weeks.

I remember downloading a tracked labelled "Radiohead unreleased Kid A track" from Napster in 2000, took about 5 days for it to download. When I finally listened to it there were 40 seconds or so of dreamy 80s FM synth sounds, then vocoder vocals kicked. "What's that they're saying?" I thought, sounds a bit like...

Then the vocals kicked in, "DOMO ARIGATO, MR. ROBOTO!" by Styx.

I kept that file shared for years on Napster so that others may have the same pleasure I did.

Video Game Fan 2000

aw yeah, 7 hours downloading "Motion Picture Soundtrack (Full Studio Mix)" and the odds are three to one hocus pocus by focus five to one ying tong song ten to one atmosphere by russ abbot twenty to one witchdoctor by cartoons

Drukqs by Aphex Twin has leaked and its 28 copies of Power Pill Pacman. every metal band has a terrible version of the Legend of Zelda music including Led Zeppelin who speak Japanese now

dontpaintyourteeth

my mate downloaded a copy of dreadlock holiday but it was tagged as

bob marley - i don't like reggae

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on August 04, 2022, 04:00:25 PMbob marley - i don't like reggae

there needs to be a spit take thread for shit like this

Video Game Fan 2000

dark confessional track from Bob Marley when he lets slip what he's been hiding all these years but many have suspected, his version of Serve the Servants

The Mollusk

TOOL_CHEVELLE_TORI_AMOS_DISTURBED_NIN_LIVE_(2).MP3

purlieu

Radiohead - Cogs
Turned out to be the man with the harmonica track from Once Upon a Time in the West, which is an infinitely better piece of music than anything Radiohead ever did, so I thank whoever mistagged that.

I made a fake version of Hail to the Thief when it leaked - a mixture of novelty songs and Merzbow - and shared it on Soulseek (I think), that got a fair few downloads before people cottoned on.