Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:36:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RIP Lamont Dozier

Started by kalowski, August 09, 2022, 11:41:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

I can't even think of any good puns.
This songwriting god has died aged 81.
Holland Dozier Holland were responsible for some of the best songs ever. They win just for Mickey's Monkey or Nowhere to Run or There's a Ghost in my House or Put Yourself in my Place or Bernadette...

The Culture Bunker

I remember a joke about the headline in Blues & Soul magazine when Black Wednesday (I think) happened being 'Lamont Dozier!'

As for Mr Dozier himself - well, he had a hand in writing numerous all time pop classics. I'll let him off for those Phil Collins collaborations just for 'Reach Out, I'll Be There', let alone the other 30/40/50/100 fantastic numbers he worked on.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: kalowski on August 09, 2022, 11:41:43 AMI can't even think of any good puns.

On the pun tip: I've seen some speculation that the 'Holland and Holland' in Levi Stubbs' Tears has an intentional dark double-meaning in that it's a nod to the gun manufacturers.

The Mollusk

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: kalowski on August 09, 2022, 11:41:43 AMThey win just for Mickey's Monkey or Nowhere to Run or There's a Ghost in my House or Put Yourself in my Place or Bernadette...

Under the pseudonym Edith Wayne they also gave us Honeycone.

holyzombiejesus

I Can't Help Myself is one of the greatest songs ever written, a fucking monster of a tune. Sometimes I think that a 7" of this (or Telstar, keep changing my mind) should be considered mankind's greatest achievement.

If I could go back in time to any gig ever, it would be this. Fucking incredible. Imagine writing a song this brilliant. And then writing dozens more.