Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:32:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Soup

Started by Jockice, August 26, 2021, 10:49:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on August 26, 2021, 05:51:39 PM
Or pretty much any fish soup. The ones you get in Italian restaurants tend to be great, more of a stew than a soup, full of nice bits of fish.
O(c)h aye. Had an amazing cullen skink in St Andrews a few years ago. 

Jockice

Quote from: steve98 on August 26, 2021, 02:53:44 PM
Unless you're using rocket it's hardly rocket science: you just boil a big lump of animal and add whatever greenery you have. Done.

You've never seen me in a kitchen have you? Anyway, the only big lump of animal in my flats is a live cat and I doubt if she'd take kindly to being put in a pot.

Jockice

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 26, 2021, 03:30:31 PM
I'm not a big fan of parsnips either really.
Nor me. I don't hold with fish soup either. What's that all about eh?

Kankurette

Carrot and coriander soup is only acceptable if you can't taste the coriander leaves. Horrid things.

I don't like chunky soup.

The Dog

You have to think about it a bit, but I'll give you some clues:

1. miso is a type of soup
2. stew is a type of soup
3. Death by drowning in soup is quite unusual, and would require a coroner to investigate.
4. It would also require a lot of soup.
5. My friend, who drowned, ate a lot of soup
6. This made him VERY unpopular
7. His life had spiralled out of control recently due to his obsession with soup.
8. Shop-bought soup has a very high salt content.
9. He claimed I owed him money, but I did not.
10. So I wasn't that upset when he died.
11. He had fallen out with his soup supplier, a very angry man.
12. This led him to some very questionable sources of soup.
13. Soup is basically liquid melancholy.

Hope this helps.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: The Dog on August 26, 2021, 06:45:34 PM
Soup is basically liquid melancholy.

It's from so + up, meaning very cheerful.

The Dog

Close but it's actually a contraction of 'So Upset', and is for invalids and the destitute.

All Surrogate

Two soups I like, and like to make:

• Citrus parsnip - great for a light starter.
  • Broccoli and Stilton - gorgeous comfort food.

Emma Raducanu

Squash soup finished with coconut milk.
Courgette and parmesan. Tons of parmo and cream. Rich as fuck.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

steve98

Quote from: DolphinFace on August 26, 2021, 07:06:03 PM
Squash soup finished with coconut milk.
Courgette and parmesan. Tons of parmo and cream. Rich as fuck.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: DolphinFace on August 26, 2021, 07:06:03 PM
Squash soup

You can't really squash soup, I've tried and it just splatters about all over the place.

Gurke and Hare

And if it's fish soup, it splatters about all over the plaice.

pigamus

Never eat it, never understood the point of it

If you want want liquid, buy a can of Fanta

Dex Sawash

[split pea topic]

poo

Thanks for this thread love soup

Brian Freeze

Three suggestions for your stock pots.

- Fuck the bread into the toaster and have soup and buttered toast. Its greater than the sum of its parts.

- Chickpea and chorizo soup.

- Chickpea and pasta soup.

steve98

Quote from: poo on August 26, 2021, 10:15:29 PM
Thanks for this thread love soup

You, Poo (Or any fan of soup) might like this suggestion: Take the 70s song "Toast", by Streetband but change it to Soup. Whenever they sing "Toast", you sing soup.
If you're not interested, that's fine, no harm done.

https://youtu.be/WJmKStqugMc?t=40

Buelligan

Quote from: steve98 on August 26, 2021, 03:25:03 PM
You can substitute daffodil bulbs for onions (That's what they did during the war, when onions were unobtainable.) Daffodil and Dill is delicious.

I'm not sure this is entirely correct.  Pretty certain daffodils contain lycorine, which is absolutely DEFINITELY TOXICDO NOT MAKE SOUP FROM DAFFODILS.

Agree with mollusk's potato and leek and the pea and mint one.  Here's a simple winter favourite of mine, red lentil soup, extremely easy and cheap - heat oil (olive oil, about 2 or 3 tablespoons, enough to cover the bottom of a medium pan and leave a depth of about 4mm if you're counting).  Add sliced onions (if you can get Cevennes onions or the big white Spanish ones, great, but any onion is also marvellous.  You need one or two or three, depending on the amount of soup you want).  Sweat onions until translucent and softening but don't blacken them, keep 'em pale.  Add chopped veg.  Usually quite a few carrots, which I do in batons and some 4cm sections of leek but you can put anything you like, root veg-wise.  Put lid on tightly and sweat on a very gentle heat for five mins or so checking regularly.  Try not to let moisture escape.  Add coupla handfuls of red/coral lentils - amount depends on people to feed but about a teacup for two.  Stir lentils in so's they get moistened with the oil and veg sweat.  Add plenty black pepper.  Top up with veg stock (just a veg cube dissolved).  Bring to a gentle boil and simmer, stirring occasionally to ensure no burning, add extra stock as and when.  Salt if necessary though the cube is probably enough.  It should end up quite thick, porridgy.  Serve topped with grated cheese, vegan if you like.  Eat with good bread.  Fantastic, delicious, cheap and healthy for a windy autumn evening or any other time.

Another red lentil fan here. This dhal with a stack of fresh, warm roti (or - even better - paratha straight from the pan with all the little char marks and crispy bits) is flipping great.

2-3 tablespoons oil
1 medium onion
1 piece of fresh ginger, chopped (about thumb-sized) 4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
250g dried red lentils
2 tablespoons tomato puree
about 500ml water
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 lime, juice of
handful of chopped fresh coriander

Spices
2 teaspoons mustard seeds
1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
4 whole cloves
2 dried red chillies
1 cinnamon stick

In a pan over medium heat, toast the seeds, cloves and chilli for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Remove from pan and let cool.
Transfer to spice grinder if you have one (or pestle and mortar – but fenugreek seeds can be hard work) and grind to a fine powder.
Over medium-high heat oil a saucepan, add onions and cinnamon stick and fry for 10 minutes.
Add garlic and ginger and fry 5 more minutes.
Add spices and salt, fry 5 minutes more.
Add tinned tomatoes, and puree and fry for another 5 minutes. I use the spoon here to break up the tomatoes so there are no big pieces left.
Add lentils plus water, bring to a boil then simmer on low heat for 45-50 minutes. You may need to add more water to achieve a porridge-like consistency.
Add the lime juice and coriander plus more water if it looks too thick.
Simmer 10 more minutes, or longer until lentils are completely soft.

Fandabidozi!

Fr.Bigley

Why don't you all stop being right fannies and have a right nice tin of oxtail, at a PUSH you can have cream of chicken and mushroom.

steve98

Quote from: Buelligan on August 28, 2021, 09:15:04 AM
I'm not sure this is entirely correct.  Pretty certain daffodils contain lycorine, which is absolutely DEFINITELY TOXICDO NOT MAKE SOUP FROM DAFFODILS.

My mistake. Don't make soup from daffodil bulbs, it may kill you. Apologize to anyone who's got ill or died.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on August 28, 2021, 09:57:01 AM
Another red lentil fan here. This dhal with a stack of fresh, warm roti (or - even better - paratha straight from the pan with all the little char marks and crispy bits) is flipping great.

2-3 tablespoons oil
1 medium onion
1 piece of fresh ginger, chopped (about thumb-sized) 4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
250g dried red lentils
2 tablespoons tomato puree
about 500ml water
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 lime, juice of
handful of chopped fresh coriander

Spices
2 teaspoons mustard seeds
1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
4 whole cloves
2 dried red chillies
1 cinnamon stick

In a pan over medium heat, toast the seeds, cloves and chilli for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Remove from pan and let cool.
Transfer to spice grinder if you have one (or pestle and mortar – but fenugreek seeds can be hard work) and grind to a fine powder.
Over medium-high heat oil a saucepan, add onions and cinnamon stick and fry for 10 minutes.
Add garlic and ginger and fry 5 more minutes.
Add spices and salt, fry 5 minutes more.
Add tinned tomatoes, and puree and fry for another 5 minutes. I use the spoon here to break up the tomatoes so there are no big pieces left.
Add lentils plus water, bring to a boil then simmer on low heat for 45-50 minutes. You may need to add more water to achieve a porridge-like consistency.
Add the lime juice and coriander plus more water if it looks too thick.
Simmer 10 more minutes, or longer until lentils are completely soft.

Fandabidozi!

That's pretty involved for red lentils. I'm sure it's lovely and will give it a bash. I do this as quick no-fuss one:
Heat oil in a pan and add 1/2tsp of cayenne and garlic puree made from two cloves until it sizzles a bit
Add 185g of red lentils and 1/2tsp of turmeric and toast quickly
Add 600ml water and some salt to taste (I tend to use 1/2 tsp), simmer for 15 minutes
Add a bag of chopped mint (or 1tbsp dried if you can't be arsed) and a chopped up chilli (or 1/2 to 1 tbsp of chilli flakes if you can't be arsed)

Then for tadka fry an onion in some oil or ghee until it's brown and add 1tsp of mustard seeds and garam massala and a handful of torn up curry leaves.

Dex Sawash

Fry off as much onion as you feel up to chopping with lots of garlic and ginger, couple spoons of turmeric and black mustard seed, chili flake.  2 cans of chickpeas and fry those a bit and dump in a can of coconut milk and about the same amount of veg stock. Mash up most of the chickpeas with your pastry cutter or potato masher because chickpeas are a bit horrible left whole unless you have hours for the spice to get inside. Bang in some durable greens like kale or spinach.  Some thin carrot curls toward the end so they just soften a bit is nice. Could do prawns instead. Whole thing is 30 minutes.

Dex Sawash

Fuck, I left out the cardamom pods

Sebastian Cobb

Another good one is Jack Monroe's daal with coconut oil and spinach.
https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2018/09/20/lentil-spinach-daal-recipe/

Although I could never quite get it to work with the timings and water levels she suggests so tend to use about 350ml and simmer it for 10 minutes before adding the coconut milk and letting it reduce.

Dex Sawash

Forgot the cilantro/coriander leaf at the end but it's probably turned to go in the refrigerator anyway

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on August 28, 2021, 11:30:31 AM
That's pretty involved for red lentils. I'm sure it's lovely and will give it a bash. I do this as quick no-fuss one:
Heat oil in a pan and add 1/2tsp of cayenne and garlic puree made from two cloves until it sizzles a bit
Add 185g of red lentils and 1/2tsp of turmeric and toast quickly
Add 600ml water and some salt to taste (I tend to use 1/2 tsp), simmer for 15 minutes
Add a bag of chopped mint (or 1tbsp dried if you can't be arsed) and a chopped up chilli (or 1/2 to 1 tbsp of chilli flakes if you can't be arsed)

Then for tadka fry an onion in some oil or ghee until it's brown and add 1tsp of mustard seeds and garam massala and a handful of torn up curry leaves.

Yeah, written out like that it does look a bit of a faff but it's pretty easy and taste really good (I think).

Yours looks good too - I'm going to give it a try. I would never have thought to put mint with lentils though but that's only because I haven't come across it in the limited number of lentil dishes I've cooked.

Kankurette

Cream of celery soup is best soup.

Twit 2

Red lentils can get to fuck—it's all about yellow split peas.