Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:21:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Should I pay tax?", world's richest man asks Twitter

Started by Blue Jam, November 07, 2021, 07:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59182278

QuoteTesla billionaire Elon Musk has launched a Twitter poll of his 62.6 million followers asking if he should sell 10% of his shares.

The vote, which closes later on Sunday, could see him dispose of $21bn (£16bn) of stock in the electric carmaker.

He promised to abide by the result of the poll, a response to a "billionaires tax" proposed by US Democrats.

The plan could see Mr Musk, who is one of the world's richest men, face a huge tax bill.

By mid-afternoon on Sunday, with about 3 hours to go before the poll closes, 57.2% of the 3.2 million respondents had voted "yes".

The Tesla chief executive owns more than $200bn worth of shares and is due to exercise options next year that will boost his worth even further, but leave Mr Musk with what he said would be a "massive" tax bill.

Under plans proposed by the Democratic Party in the Senate, billionaires could be taxed on "unrealised gains" when the price of their shares goes up - even if they do not sell any of their stock.

Can't we just send him to Mars? I don't think they have taxes on Mars.

Blue Jam

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 07, 2021, 08:02:36 PM
State of the nauseating techbro billionaire worship in the replies here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1457064697782489088

But Blue Jam he only takes shares and not cash or a salary; he is literally the poorest person at Tesla in cash terms.  Imagine the plight of poor Elon trying to buy a coffee

"that will be £3.50 please Elon"
"Do you accept shares as payment? I never pay myself cash or a salary, and absolutely not for tax evasion reasons"
"No I'm afraid we don't"
"Oh well looks like it's bread and water again for me"

Wonderful Butternut

Get Musk to sell all his shares and use the money to go to the moon. And then we blow up the moon.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 07, 2021, 08:02:36 PM
State of the nauseating techbro billionaire worship in the replies here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1457064697782489088

I presume Twitter accounts like Robert Lay who claim "taxation is theft" use roads, libraries and other things paid for by taxes. Would Mr Lay be happy to not pay taxes if it meant being charged by a private company each time he drove on a road?

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 07, 2021, 08:16:30 PM
I presume Twitter accounts like Robert Lay who claim "taxation is theft" use roads, libraries and other things paid for by taxes. Would Mr Lay be happy to not pay taxes if it meant being charged by a private company each time he drove on a road?

Cunts would just play pass the parcel buying the road company back and forth

Jasha

62.6 million followers 3.2 million respondents, get a higher ratio to CaB polls when one of the options is "your mum"

olliebean

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on November 07, 2021, 08:11:51 PM
But Blue Jam he only takes shares and not cash or a salary; he is literally the poorest person at Tesla in cash terms.

I don't buy that. $200 billion of shares must net him a shitload of dividends.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: olliebean on November 07, 2021, 09:41:36 PM

No he said this on Twitter so it must be true.

Quote from: olliebean on November 07, 2021, 09:41:36 PM

Not when they don't actually make profits from selling cars.  Unless of course, Tesla is just a ludicrously inflated and obvious Ponzi scheme, so he does get massive payouts irrespective of performance, and the techbros have fallen for it in exactly the same way that the usual victims of Ponzis do.  Except they all view themselves as super intelligent, so how could they fall for it?  They've poured their money into Tesla and Bitcoin - what could possibly go wrong?

Blue Jam

Can't he just flog one of his cars? He sent one into space FFS, dude's got cars coming out his arse.

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 07, 2021, 09:54:54 PM
Can't he just flog one of his cars? He sent one into space FFS, dude's got cars coming out his arse.

Not to me he couldn't.  Ugly and overpriced.  Even Clarkson wouldn't shag a Tesla with a borrowed cock.

chveik

musk fanboys are the worst people in the world

hope he will invest in my new coin #clowne #juggytothemoon

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

so am I reading this correctly

he's asking his fucking Twitter followers if he should dump shares to avoid paying his fucking taxes, taxes which would only be a drop in the bucket of his obscene amount of wealth

worthless parasitic fuck

EDIT NVM I read it wrong

government should have the power to seize everything he owns and dole out half a million a year to him as a wage, and the same with every other ultra-wealthy gold-hording bollocks

bgmnts

Just popping in to say I hope this cunt and the rest of his ilk die fucking slow, painful deaths before the world becomes uninhabitable cheers.

chveik

i'm no expert in the market but i would guess it's a scheme to pay less taxes that he actually owes to the government

PlanktonSideburns

Is he getting rid of assets so he doesn't have to divorce them over to grimes? I don't know how these things work

All his money is either Californian tax money or stolen emerald's anyway. Fuckin robotnik motherfucker

zomgmouse

is this the same thread where he replied "tell me how to solve world hunger and I'll do it" and then nothing happened because he would never actually commit to anything like that

PlanktonSideburns

Isn't he also getting sued for not selling enough cars to justify the buckets of renewable energy credits California gave him

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on November 07, 2021, 10:19:32 PM
he's asking his fucking Twitter followers if he should dump shares to avoid paying his fucking taxes, taxes which would only be a drop in the bucket of his obscene amount of wealth

No, he's asking them if he should sell shares to pay some tax liability he's apparently about to incur, but the premise he's stating makes no sense. Exercising a share option[nb]ie buying some shares at a price determined some time ago, typically at a discount to the market price[/nb] shouldn't in itself incur a tax liability - that would only happen if and when he subsequently sold those shares, in which case there'd be capital gains tax to pay on any profits.

idunnosomename

Elon could you slide off a sloped roof and burst like a pumpkin on the driveway

Blue Jam

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on November 07, 2021, 10:27:12 PM
Is he getting rid of assets so he doesn't have to divorce them over to grimes? I don't know how these things work

They weren't actually married, were they? Had a Muskspawn though. Bet he doesn't even want to buy the sprog a car for their 17th.

Ferris

Paying tax on the unrealized gains on the (estimated value) increase of your assets is literally how all property and council tax works.

It's bonkers that I pay tax on my house getting more expensive per market rates, but some wally holding billions of shares can't be taxed on them even though we know exactly how much their value has increased.

Ferris

Now I think about it, I could probably incorporate a foreign LLC to own my house, then sell it as an entity by shares and become the sole director of the vehicle and allow the LLC to become tax delinquent while paying fuck all tax.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 07, 2021, 10:40:05 PM
Paying tax on the unrealized gains on the (estimated value) increase of your assets is literally how all property and council tax works.

Not in the UK. Council tax is still based on the value of homes whenever the assessment was originally done. I'll admit my previous comments were based on UK rules, but I'm pretty sure unrealised gains are never taxed in the UK.

Avril Lavigne

[removed]

Ignatius_S

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on November 07, 2021, 10:27:12 PM

All his money is either Californian tax money or stolen emerald's anyway. Fuckin robotnik motherfucker

No - one reason Musk has said is that he can always sleep in the office. This has the advantage of inspiring your staff: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/elon-musk-tesla-staff-book-b1896437.html

Avril Lavigne

[removed]

Paul Calf