Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:08:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Red food colouring

Started by The Mollusk, December 01, 2021, 11:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

druss

Accidentally swallowed some of this the other day. I dyed a little inside.

Ferris

Looked into this - turns out they only use the beetles that are racists so its fine.

Brundle-Fly

I once drank blue vodka cocktails all night and my turds the next day looked like something served up by the Dentrassi on a Vogon space station.

Fr.Bigley

Wait till you find out what vanilla flavouring comes from.

Cuellar

You can just use ink, can't you?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on December 01, 2021, 04:11:09 PMI was under the impression they'd found a non-beatley substitute for red food colouring about 3 or 4 decades ago.  Is that not the case then?

I thought the same - I seem to remember it being a question on QI years ago (shortly after Sandi Toksvig took over from Fry, possibly even her first series as question master) that got the obligatory klaxon when someone (probably Alan Davies) answered "beetles".

Goldentony

how far would you get in an experiment where you had 24 hours to do everything ethically? Channel 4, bloke gets 3 grand to live a week in West London or whatever but everything has to be ethical, id say he gets out of bed and fails on episode 1

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on December 01, 2021, 04:11:09 PMI was under the impression they'd found a non-beatley substitute for red food colouring about 3 or 4 decades ago.  Is that not the case then?

Just realised I used the wrong spelling of beetle, ha.

Cuellar

Quote from: Goldentony on December 01, 2021, 07:49:44 PMhow far would you get in an experiment where you had 24 hours to do everything ethically? Channel 4, bloke gets 3 grand to live a week in West London or whatever but everything has to be ethical, id say he gets out of bed and fails on episode 1

Bed probably made in a Russian labour camp

Goldentony

Quote from: Cuellar on December 01, 2021, 08:55:29 PMBed probably made in a Russian labour camp

london flat too, owned by a definite criminal

ZoyzaSorris

Cochineal isn't made from beetles. Some kind of little scale insect. Basically just animated vaguely be-legged goo anyway, get it down ya

Goldentony

how did they discover you can destroy beetles and get red food coloring

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Goldentony on December 01, 2021, 10:04:03 PMhow did they discover you can destroy beetles and get red food coloring

Seems like a much simpler discovery than what thought process led monks to filtering wine through fish guts.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: ZoyzaSorris on December 01, 2021, 09:55:48 PMCochineal isn't made from beetles. Some kind of little scale insect. Basically just animated vaguely be-legged goo anyway, get it down ya

I forget where I seen it but a tv programme a couple of years ago visited a cochineal farm and it was fields and fields of succulents or cacti with the scale bugs under the leaves.

Cant even remember what the point of the programme was either and why they were there but the fact they were sticks in my mind for some unknown reason. Possibly because it seemed like a fucking doddle of of a job.

Great post eh? You're welcome.

touchingcloth

Quote from: The Mollusk on December 01, 2021, 11:20:13 AMMate, it's made out of crushed fucking beetles. What the fuck.

Is it definitely made out of crushed fucking beetles rather than paprika powder for crisps?

idunnosomename

imagine being like hey lads who fancies drinking out of this cow's big hanging tit thing

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 01, 2021, 11:55:25 PMimagine being like hey lads who fancies drinking out of this cow's big hanging tit thing

A lazy observation brought up by several hack comics.

Because of course nobodys ever seen a suckling baby.

flotemysost

I distinctly remember learning this as a wean thanks to Tomorrow's World or something like that, don't think I was vegetarian at that point but it definitely sped me on my way.

Quote from: The Mollusk on December 01, 2021, 06:06:40 PMDoes it taste of beetroot though? I want to make a cake that tastes sweet, not like the fucking shitty ass dirt all full of worms and that.

One of my flatmates used to make beetroot cake a fair bit and it did have a slightly earthy flavour but I imagine no earthier than a cake full of dead invertebrate cadavers. It was quite nice.

Re: fish guts, I remember finishing my first shift in a Young's pub and being offered a pint and (fuck knows why) going for Brigadier or something and then being told it was made with fish bladders, like some sort of horrendous rite of passage like where they force the young whipper-in to drink the fox's blood or whatever it is. Horrible really.

idunnosomename

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on December 02, 2021, 12:14:52 AMA lazy observation brought up by several hack comics.

but which animals do you milk, that's the question. well stu,

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on December 02, 2021, 12:14:52 AMA lazy observation brought up by several hack comics.

Okay, but do those same lazy hack comics go on to wonder who let theirs go off and thought 'Ugh! That stinks. I wonder what the lumpy bits taste like.'

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: flotemysost on December 02, 2021, 12:45:07 AMRe: fish guts, I remember finishing my first shift in a Young's pub and being offered a pint and (fuck knows why) going for Brigadier or something and then being told it was made with fish bladders, like some sort of horrendous rite of passage like where they force the young whipper-in to drink the fox's blood or whatever it is. Horrible really.

I'm no wine drinker and am prepared to be corrected by someone who is, but I know several hardcore aficionados and I THINK a lot of producers still use fish guts in the process, and most of those who don't still use some kind of animal offal product, hence why you can get veggie/vegan friendly wine.

I don't know any big beer drinkers these days, but I imagine it's much the same.

Sebastian Cobb

You can get frozen cauliflower florets that proudly state they're vegan so it could also be opportunistic marketing.

canadagoose

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on December 01, 2021, 06:44:20 PMI once drank blue vodka cocktails all night and my turds the next day looked like something served up by the Dentrassi on a Vogon space station.
Red Kola Dragon Soop also has this effect. I thought I was having
Spoiler alert
internal bleeding
[close]
at first until I remembered.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: canadagoose on December 02, 2021, 09:34:53 AMRed Kola Dragon Soop also has this effect. I thought I was having
Spoiler alert
internal bleeding
[close]
at first until I remembered.

Also happened to me after I ate 750g of blueberries over the course of a few hours.  Had a MAJOR panic attack.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on December 01, 2021, 07:06:15 PMWait till you find out what vanilla flavouring comes from.

Pod people?

Sebastian Cobb

If it's bright and red, go to bed
Dark and clotty, thats a poorly botty

canadagoose

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on December 02, 2021, 09:39:11 AMAlso happened to me after I ate 750g of blueberries over the course of a few hours.  Had a MAJOR panic attack.
I might have to try that.

Cerys

Quote from: JamesTC on December 01, 2021, 01:47:50 PMMy aunt once made me a TARDIS cake and I shat blue.

Clearly your insides are all wrong.  A healthy gut would have shat emerald green.

Incidentally, Welsh for 'red' is 'coch'.  Makes you meddwl.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on December 02, 2021, 09:39:11 AMAlso happened to me after I ate 750g of blueberries over the course of a few hours.  Had a MAJOR panic attack.

Sainsbury's Taste The Difference cherry yogurts caused me to book an appointment with the doctor pretty sharpish. The bits of undigested cherry skin looked like clotting and everything.