Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:41:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Red food colouring

Started by The Mollusk, December 01, 2021, 11:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poodlefaker

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on December 02, 2021, 09:08:50 AMI'm no wine drinker and am prepared to be corrected by someone who is, but I know several hardcore aficionados and I THINK a lot of producers still use fish guts in the process, and most of those who don't still use some kind of animal offal product, hence why you can get veggie/vegan friendly wine.

I don't know any big beer drinkers these days, but I imagine it's much the same.
Yes, most UK ale and probably lager uses isinglass to make it clear. It drops through the barrel collecting the yeast and stuff and dragging it to the bottom, so I don't think you actually drink it; it ends up at the bottom of the barrel like jelly, AIUI. If you leave beer long enough it clears naturally, but obv. that takes time and money and we're British and we can't wait.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: poodlefaker on December 02, 2021, 12:30:28 PMYes, most UK ale and probably lager uses isinglass to make it clear. It drops through the barrel collecting the yeast and stuff and dragging it to the bottom, so I don't think you actually drink it; it ends up at the bottom of the barrel like jelly, AIUI. If you leave beer long enough it clears naturally, but obv. that takes time and money and we're British and we can't wait.

I have zero issues with it (I love black pudding and haggis, so am in no position to shout "EWWWWWW, MOOKYS"), I just can't figure out how on earth they discovered that process.  It's not even as if a simple accident could have got them to it.

rue the polywhirl

Don't see the worry with Red dye. I'd say Hakuna Matata - Drink crushed beetles for the rest of your days.

Ferris

Hello it's me, a tedious homebrewer!

As far as I'm aware, using isinglass is a bit old fashioned these days and most larger macro breweries use gelatin. Serves the same purpose (and @poodlefaker is correct in how it works, it "drops" through the keg/barrel and takes all the bits with it) and you don't end up consuming it other than in trace amounts.

You can clear beer naturally, but it takes months to get something as clear as a lager and even then it won't fine as fully.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on December 02, 2021, 08:57:40 AMOkay, but do those same lazy hack comics go on to wonder who let theirs go off and thought 'Ugh! That stinks. I wonder what the lumpy bits taste like.'

No, the original line always seems to get a laugh so they feel no need to embellish it.
But that'd be the way to do it : tell the original gag, admit it's silly for the reasons already given, then carry on with your 'lumpy bits' line.

seepage

Quote from: Ferris on December 02, 2021, 01:29:33 PMHello it's me, a tedious homebrewer!

As far as I'm aware, using isinglass is a bit old fashioned these days and most larger macro breweries use gelatin. Serves the same purpose (and @poodlefaker is correct in how it works, it "drops" through the keg/barrel and takes all the bits with it) and you don't end up consuming it other than in trace amounts.

You can clear beer naturally, but it takes months to get something as clear as a lager and even then it won't fine as fully.

And various veggie/vegan alternatives

Ferris

Quote from: seepage on December 02, 2021, 02:08:35 PMAnd various veggie/vegan alternatives

Irish moss is the only one I know, and in my experience it is complete shit.

seepage

Carbon, bentonite clay, limestone, kaolin clay, plant casein, silica gel, and vegetable plaques, according to PETA

druss

I said I dyed a little inside.

Because of swallowing the food colouring.

dissolute ocelot

Supermarket oranges and lemons are also covered in beetle. Shellac helps make the outsides less edible. Is there nothing those little critters can't do? They can't drive an HGV for starters.

Replies From View

Quote from: shoulders on December 01, 2021, 12:56:47 PMI saw a vegan thing which was red, convincingly red, so beetles can be taken out of the process now, cheers.

It wasn't convincingly red.  Why do vegans always lie

MojoJojo

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on December 02, 2021, 12:44:27 PMI have zero issues with it (I love black pudding and haggis, so am in no position to shout "EWWWWWW, MOOKYS"), I just can't figure out how on earth they discovered that process.  It's not even as if a simple accident could have got them to it.

It forms a jelly like substance - it was actually used to make jellies before gelatine became cheap - and jelly like things are what you use to clear things. Same with consommé.

The odd thing with finings and veganism is bentonite clay - it's just clay so has random bits of animal bone in it which gets listed as an allergen, and some hard core vegans will reject drinks fined with it on that basis.