Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:40:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hiding/unfollowing threads

Started by Barry Admin, December 03, 2021, 12:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Can someone please detail this process, maybe with a few screenshots just to make it abundantly clear? Someone is asking about it and I haven't a clue, and at the minute I don't have the time to figure it out just so I can explain it. Help would be very gratefully appreciated thanks.

(Also a link to that tanpermonkey script for hiding threads might be good.)

Uncle TechTip

Under User Actions at bottom of thread there is "no alerts or emails", is that the type of following you speak of?

And tap your bell go to settings for more flexible options on communication.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on December 03, 2021, 03:19:31 PMUnder User Actions at bottom of thread there is "no alerts or emails", is that the type of following you speak of?

And tap your bell go to settings for more flexible options on communication.

I'm sure someone said you could hide or unfollow them in one of those other views that give you threads you've replied to and stuff. I still just go into each subforum individually like it's 2002.

Crenners

I would love the ability to hide certain threads. That would be so fucking sick if anyone knows how.

Don't mean to be passive aggressive but some people in some threads are something else.

Endicott

As far as I know the only way to hide a thread is to use @Bunty Levert 's script:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=90958.msg4755175#msg4755175

Works a treat for me in Chrome, with the script installed in Tampermonkey.

Blue Jam

bgmnts

I dont think anybody has ever told me to leave them alone (on CaB) so if I'm blocked by anyone then they should be ashamed of their own lack of character.

Didn't know you could hide threads though that's rad.

Barry Admin

Blue Jam could you not bring stuff like that info this thread, it's meant to be constructive, thanks.

Blue Jam

Sorry Neil, just had a stressful week and getting a bit fed up here.

Also I didn't realise you could switch off quote alerts until today and I just thought someone else might find that useful.

Ferris

You can press the "No Alerts or Emails" in the bottom right ribbon under a specific thread, and select the "Not Following" option. I've done it a few times and it's worked really well.

Barry Admin

Ohh you're a genius, that's it, then you use the star or megaphone at the top right.

Landscape mode for "No Alerts or Emails" then click it and:

And this script:

Quote from: Endicott on December 03, 2021, 05:33:02 PMAs far as I know the only way to hide a thread is to use @Bunty Levert 's script:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=90958.msg4755175#msg4755175

Works a treat for me in Chrome, with the script installed in Tampermonkey.

Ferris

Yeah it's a nifty feature and I've always thought it would be helpful on CaB.

On one hand - if you can't deal with a topic, don't post in the thread, but it's nice to mute the glinner thread every few weeks because I find him so tedious and relentless.

Counterpoint - might lead to an increase in drive-by comments but I suppose the @ mention feature means you'll still get called out if you drop a stinkbomb and run.

Whatever, it's just another tool and one I find useful anyway.

I tried it on the glinner thread but it's still showing up on the "recent posts" bit at the bottom of the forum.
It's always 50% glinner down there and it'd be a useful feature otherwise.

Ferris

Yeah but that makes sense? You've only turned off replies your notifications, not obliterated the thread. It's something I find useful - if I want to dig the thread back out and check back in, it's still floating around.

touchingcloth

Where are people getting these notifications? I don't get notified of anything on here.

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 03, 2021, 10:17:18 PMWhere are people getting these notifications? I don't get notified of anything on here.

It amazes me that people use CaB differently than I do, because I'm such a self-obsessed wanker apparently.

I keep an eye on threads I've replied in (using the loudspeaker icon in the top ribbon), and any other new threads using the star icon.

Basically I check in and make sure everyone is agreeing I've "done it again" with my insightful posts and witty repartees, then if I have time I check the "all new threads" category and see what the rest of you lot are talking about. Once I've ascertained it is of no interest, I move on to HS Art and gum up the works there with some utter bollocks, then I close the tab; happy to have made my contribution for the day.

(Parklife!)

Sebastian Cobb

I've always just visited subforums as and when i've chosen and if they've been updated.

I've always found every flavour of forum's unread/autosubscribe stuff to be generally pretty awful and incongruous, but the move to add notifications when people quote and tag people (not just on this forum) as generally been a welcome addition. Perhaps I'm an egomaniac.

Ferris

I do that for HS Art (open it up and check the first page or two because it's brill) but everything else I rely on the notifications in the top ribbon.

Agree that adding notifications (and also turning them off) has been a welcome addition though.

touchingcloth

I'm a completist. I've read every post ever made in every sub forum and thread.

Ferris

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Ferris on December 03, 2021, 10:59:08 PMI do that for HS Art (open it up and check the first page or two because it's brill) but everything else I rely on the notifications in the top ribbon.

Agree that adding notifications (and also turning them off) has been a welcome addition though.

one place i went on automatically subscribed you and emailed you every time a thread was updated, that soon got dealt with.

I find it analogous to the work thing of managers getting in on this hip new "instant messaging" thing, and instead of emailing people with non-time-sensitive bulletins that probably don't matter anyway, interrupting them directly with something that gives out a more intrusive, yet harder to search for, notification. Bonus points if you set up a new channel and turn off replies!

touchingcloth

Having you on ignore made completing CaB so much more enjoyable. Honestly, at least [banned troll who is worse than Ferris name deleted - admin.] was never dull.

Quote from: Ferris on December 03, 2021, 09:25:30 PMYeah but that makes sense? You've only turned off replies your notifications, not obliterated the thread.

Haha, yeah, but I meant when I was logged in, I thought maybe it would work site wide or something.
I just go into the subforums and click on the threads like some fucking relic, an' all.
That star at the top "show unread posts since your last visit", I'll try using that for a few days and see how I get on.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 03, 2021, 11:15:52 PMone place i went on automatically subscribed you and emailed you every time a thread was updated, that soon got dealt with.

CaB used to have (still has?) this functionality and it's baffling to me.

Post in 5 shite threads and get an email every time there's a post? Even if they die on their arse on the first page, that's still 100-150 emails you've signed up for.

Takes all sorts I suppose.

Ferris

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on December 03, 2021, 11:44:37 PMHaha, yeah, but I meant when I was logged in, I thought maybe it would work site wide or something.
I just go into the subforums and click on the threads like some fucking relic, an' all.
That star at the top "show unread posts since your last visit", I'll try using that for a few days and see how I get on.

Yeah it's the future. Trying to browse threads by looking through pages drives me nuts, but I have the attention span of a coked-up chimpanzee so ymmv.

Sebastian Cobb

I quite like the loose compartmentalisation of the sub-forums, despite finding the meticulous organisation (thread limits, splitting) counter to what I'm used to, although it works here.

Ferris

Yup agree. Whatever else you think about it, it's clearly effective. That people can browse in quite different ways and still find it functional is testament to the site's UI.