Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:08:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Durham: Liddle-at-Large

Started by pancreas, December 05, 2021, 03:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pancreas

One of their PVCs (one step below the VC) invited his mate Rod Liddle to speak at a formal dinner. Transphobia ensued.

https://twitter.com/russellhustIe/status/1466886985642127364

Then a member of staff, obviously pissed, calling the students arses for objecting.

https://twitter.com/ewwwan/status/1467116961943461891?s=20

The PVC should be sacked. Hope the Durham UCU calls for his resignation.

buttgammon

That's disgusting and agree that the PVC should go. My university has problems, including the continued employment of dirty old men, but people like that are consistently disinvited and told they're not welcome by staff and students alike, and rightfully so. I'm fairly confident Rod Liddle wouldn't even get through the gates, and not only because his colossal ego wouldn't fit.

Buelligan

Tim Luckhurst sounds like a cunt -

Quote from: Tim Luckhurst, in The Independent, talking about motorcyclingIn the bus lane, I am not threatened by car drivers like the VW lady.

Quote from: him again in another motorcycling diatribe in the same paperLeave the blokes on their bikes alone.

I managed to read most of that second article before the Indy's paywall fell, no mention whatsoever of women motorcyclists, as far as that motorcycling expert in concerned, you need a penis and testicles to ride a bike.  Like Liddle, a weird old prick who needs to pipe down and piss off.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/motoring/comment/tim-luckhurst-motorcyclists-in-bus-lanes-oh-yes-minister-320256.html
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/commentators/tim-luckhurst-leave-the-blokes-on-their-bikes-alone-50763.html

flotemysost

WTAF? That's disgusting. Why are so many academic institutions which are supposedly seats of education and enlightenment so doggedly dedicated to horrible crusty old bigoted values, even when it's tangibly causing actual trauma to their students?

My uni certainly wasn't the most diverse place, but things like this honestly make me glad I went to Dunce College to achieve a First Class BA (Hons) in Wiping My Arse With The Paper My Degree Was Printed On Because That's Probably The Best Use For It.

I know a couple of people who went to Durham though, and apparently there they learned how to open a champagne bottle using a sword, which probably tells you all you need to know. (No shade to any students/alumni or non-cunt staff, of course - it just seems very telling when an institution clings to tradition and convention but seems pretty arsed cigs about the actual wellbeing of contemporary people who are still alive and all that.)

buttgammon

Quote from: flotemysost on December 05, 2021, 04:31:12 PMWTAF? That's disgusting. Why are so many academic institutions which are supposedly seats of education and enlightenment so doggedly dedicated to horrible crusty old bigoted values, even when it's tangibly causing actual trauma to their students?

My uni certainly wasn't the most diverse place, but things like this honestly make me glad I went to Dunce College to achieve a First Class BA (Hons) in Wiping My Arse With The Paper My Degree Was Printed On Because That's Probably The Best Use For It.

I know a couple of people who went to Durham though, and apparently there they learned how to open a champagne bottle using a sword, which probably tells you all you need to know. (No shade to any students/alumni or non-cunt staff, of course - it just seems very telling when an institution clings to tradition and convention but seems pretty arsed cigs about the actual wellbeing of contemporary people who are still alive and all that.)

I did my BA in a (not very diverse) post-92 university and feel very glad of the experience when I hear about stuff like this. I've been at a very old, arguably more old-fashioned, uni ever since but even here, entitled bigots like Liddle don't have a place. For what it's worth, some former Durham people have said they prefer the atmosphere here. Traditions can be nice but they can also contribute to problems that need addressing; although my institution has made efforts to help working-class students, there are still aspects that make it harder for them, largely because we can be too attached to doing things they were they were done centuries ago.

Cuellar

South College? Never heard of it. Get it disbanded, distribute the students among the other colleges. Colleges at Durham are largely pointless anyway.

Johnny Yesno

From that first twitter thread:

idunnosomename

Imagine having Rod Liddle in the room while you're trying to eat. Doesnt bear thinking about

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Dorothy Luckhurst @LuckhurstDotIncidentally they thought it was ok to ask my husband to apologise for my comments ... I know it's an old notion but I can speak for myself. Maybe the woke generation haven't heard of women's equality.
11:10 pm · 3 Dec 2021

https://twitter.com/LuckhurstDot/status/1466907736126685184

lol

Cuellar

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 05, 2021, 05:13:25 PMImagine having Rod Liddle in the room while you're trying to eat. Doesnt bear thinking about

Buelligan

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on December 05, 2021, 05:13:37 PMhttps://twitter.com/LuckhurstDot/status/1466907736126685184

lol

Jesus fuck, she retweets Claire Fox.  Rod Liddle and Claire Fox?   Oh fucksie, a tory candidate and plenny Julia Hartley Brewer.  These people are certainly cunts.

Kankurette

So much for universities being woke. Although this is Durham and IIRC it is pretty conservative. I did get an offer but I'm glad I went to Manchester, I'd have been bored shitless. Everyone went into Newcastle for nightlife.

pancreas

What astonishes me is the complete lack of professionalism. Those people are supposed to be the adults in the room.

What the literal fuck does that PVC think he's playing at? Nah. Off with his head.

Buelligan

Heheh, have you seen his wife's twitter?  Scroll down for the incredible vid of aghast students watching them behave professionally - https://twitter.com/LuckhurstDot/status/1466907088521736192

touchingcloth

What's wrong with an intimating environment?

bgmnts

I've only ever been in Open University but I assumed this was most universities. The stereotype of the students mostly being irritatingly liberal and smug but the institution itself being incredibly Conservative and traditional (I suppose institutions always are?)

Maybe I'm just thinking of Eton or some shit. But yeah this doesn't surprise me much. Especially considering what universities seem to be now.

easytarget

Quote from: flotemysost on December 05, 2021, 04:31:12 PMI know a couple of people who went to Durham though, and apparently there they learned how to open a champagne bottle using a sword, which probably tells you all you need to know. (No shade to any students/alumni or non-cunt staff, of course - it just seems very telling when an institution clings to tradition and convention but seems pretty arsed cigs about the actual wellbeing of contemporary people who are still alive and all that.)

Yeesh.

I went to Durham. There was (roughly) a two-tier system : 'colleges'* on The Hill (basically normal) and colleges on 'The Bailey' (paid for secondary education, didn't get in to Oxbridge). So I reckon I could guess where this sword/champagne interface took place.

*Halls of residence really, didn't have the same feel as Oxbridge colleges based on visiting my more academically gifted friends,.

Blinder Data

Imagine thinking it would be a good idea to invite Rod Liddle to do a speech at a university dinner (that students pay to attend) and then getting surprised/annoyed at students' negative reaction to the obviously offensive things you knew he was going to say.

It's not even a "values" thing - Mr Luckhurst should be sacked for being grossly incompetent in his role at inviting guest entertainment for his college.

Sebastian Cobb

I went to the sixth oldest uni in the UK and don't really remember much pomp and ceremony but then I didn't go to any fancy do's put on by the uni.

madhair60

Isn't Liddle a paedophile? This isn't an edgy joke, hasn't he openly written about wanting to fuck kids?

pancreas

Buelligan

And

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2003/jan/14/childprotection.rodliddle
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2003/jan/16/childprotection - fucking hell!

A fairly measured and informative article on the events and background from the University's newpaper -

QuoteThe college's Principal, Professor Tim Luckhurst, shouted "at South College, we value freedom of speech" and "pathetic" as students left before Liddle's speech had begun on Friday evening.

https://www.palatinate.org.uk/south-principal-calls-students-pathetic-for-protest-over-transphobic-guest/

the ouch cube

Leaving the room because you don't want to hear some crimson-faced old fuck belch on incoherently is also an exercise of freedom of speech, of course, but this is apparently too difficult for this PVC - who presumably commands a large salary because he is incredibly clever - to work out.

Have there been any books written recently  about how the UK establishment is currently more terrified of its own young(er) people than ever before?

Buelligan

And now this -
QuoteThe SU wrote: "Notwithstanding any other positive things done at South College, Tim Luckhurst's position at Durham is untenable. No Principal gets to abuse their students, call them pathetic, and then attack them for wanting to just be safe in their home."

The SU statement continues "the Principal's attempts to frame his calculated behaviour within the freedom of speech discourse is disingenuous, and does a disservice to those genuinely fighting threats to academic freedom across the world."

Luckhurst defended Liddle in an email response to a student complaint, stating: "My guest's topic was tolerance. He spoke about the importance of listening to alternative perspectives. He attacked nobody."

"We have no right not to be offended, but offence doesn't harm us, and freedom of speech means nothing unless it encompasses the right to say things with which others disagree profoundly."

The SU statement argues that in this "straightforward abuse of power", Professor Luckhurst "has failed in his duty of care as Principal to South College students, and as a leader in our University community ... This is not the behaviour of a man we want educating, leading and supporting our students."

DSU expressed solidarity with students who left during the speech, and described the event as part of a "problematic culture" and "not an isolated event".

The SU statement said that the University process for dealing with this must not be rushed and allow Luckhurst to claim himself to be a victim. They said that "we understand why institutional public statements are cautious in these situations. We'll judge [the University leadership] on their response and how they demonstrate that Tim Luckhurst is not untouchable."

https://www.palatinate.org.uk/durham-su-calls-for-south-principal-to-resign/

Cuellar

idunnosomename

This is funny about the "arse arse arse" woman from 20 years ago

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2000/nov/16/election2000.uk

QuoteNow my adorable wife, Dorothy, the Conservative candidate hoping to replace Dewar at Westminster, is working on the same assumption. You can tell a lot from doors, windows and neat flowerbeds. The cared-for homes are more likely to contain Tories. But it doesn't always work. Three semis in a row matched the stereotype. Little expressions of individuality in the external appearance, two new cars between them. But no support for Dorothy. This is Glasgow. Glasgow always backs Labour. "It's aye bin that way, luv."
Hes done a lot of shit talk radio in the past decade or so. Biggest pair of chinless cunts imaginable

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 07, 2021, 05:29:33 PMThis is funny about the "arse arse arse" woman from 20 years ago

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2000/nov/16/election2000.uk
Hes done a lot of shit talk radio in the past decade or so. Biggest pair of chinless cunts imaginable

I wonder if he used to apply his 'doors, windows and flowerbeds' test when he stood as a Labour candidate in the Borders in the 80s. The mind boggles.

QuoteHe stood as the Labour candidate in the Roxburgh and Berwickshire constituency at the 1987 British general election.[9] He stopped supporting Labour in 2001[10] and in 2005 he joined the Conservative Party.[11]

mattyc

It's almost like the right's constant whining about freedom of speech is to cover the fact they don't care about it or understand it at all!

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on December 07, 2021, 06:32:58 PMI wonder if he used to apply his 'doors, windows and flowerbeds' test when he stood as a Labour candidate in the Borders in the 80s. The mind boggles.

I bet he had no 'doors, windows and flowerbeds' when Corbs was Labour leader because he was POLITICALLY HOMELESS.

Johnny Foreigner