Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:14:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What's on your Christmas list?

Started by holyzombiejesus, December 05, 2021, 09:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Stuck. Got a long list of books I might ask for but it's a bit rubbish having those when it's probably the 2 weeks of the year when I'm least likely to get any time to read any of them. Would like 'a thing', something to look at or play with or just anything that's not a book really. Stumped though. Used to have things like Buddha machines, Bop-it Tetris and wooden man incense burners and things that were nice to open on Christmas morning and play with/ fiddle with throughout the holiday but... stuck.

Also, does anyone else feel that a combination of impending collapse of the planet and life-threatening poverty across the globe makes the idea of a christmas list a little disgusting? Sorry to be a downer.

touchingcloth

Cloud

World peace and an end to hunger

Yeah the habit of "buy lots of shit a lot of which will end up in a drawer or landfill" does get very wearing after a while.

chveik

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: chveik on December 05, 2021, 09:52:33 PMe-book reader

Something like that would be ideal for my list but I'm a) a saddo who still buys physical items like records, dvds and 35mm film and b) seems like it's quite destructive for the planet, even though I guess books themselves are probably worse over a period of time.

IsavedLatin

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on December 05, 2021, 09:29:58 PMAlso, does anyone else feel that a combination of impending collapse of the planet and life-threatening poverty across the globe makes the idea of a christmas list a little disgusting? Sorry to be a downer.

Yes, me too, and this despite the fact that I've always bloody loved everything about Christmas -- decorations, tree, PRESENTS, everything, I'm down on all of it this year for just these sorts of reasons. (Didn't actually stop me buying and decorating a tree today though.)

I think I have finally reached an age where I just don't want much, and I'm now earning enough that if I do want something, I generally just get it when I want it. As such any things I actually do want bought, some time soon, are all tremendously boring, often house-y, things, which are not good present material at all, either for the giver or even for me as recipient -- though I definitely want a new frying pan that hasn't had its Teflon coating cut to smithereens, and it would be an expensive and hence generous thing to get me, that is a terrible gift.

If we weren't in a pandemic, I think theatre tickets or a stay in a nice hotel would be just the thing for me at this stage of my life. As it is ... I dunno. LRB subscription?

On a related note, I am getting more resentful of getting gifts for certain family members (this is adults I'm talking about, I should say). I've intimated for years that I think it's a drag and unnecessary, but have been given a hard time about receiving presents being an integral part of their Christmas. These presents invariably consist of a book or two, or DVDs in years gone by, that have been specifically requested, i.e. no spontaneity about them whatever. So how does it differ from just ordering it for yourself?

chveik

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on December 05, 2021, 10:04:23 PMSomething like that would be ideal for my list but I'm a) a saddo who still buys physical items like records, dvds and 35mm film and b) seems like it's quite destructive for the planet, even though I guess books themselves are probably worse over a period of time.

you're right, but i need one because i want to return to studying and sadly i don't live near a big enough library and i can't afford to buy as many books as i like.

Sebastian Cobb

bought a factory refurbished vax cordless hoover a few weeks ago so that

bgmnts

To not be sick and coughing all day everyday would be cool.

To have ears that I dont have to worry about popping when I yawn.

Fluffy socks.

TrenterPercenter

The fam this year have organised xmas lists of things they actually need/want which seems to be going well so far - I've asked for some slippers and some trackie bottoms - living the dream.

Butchers Blind

Red Macadam

Bavarian smoked cheese. Not actually from Bavaria. Not really cheese. More than likely not smoked.
That squashy yellowy stuff in a plastic sheaf, like a septic sausage in a form-fitting raincoat. Has potential as a fairly satisfying sex aid in an emergency. 6/10, would recommend.
I love that. On a Ritz or a TUC.

That's what I'd like for Christmas.

Ferris

New reverb pedal and power brick. A fleece.

easytarget

Quote from: Ferris on December 06, 2021, 02:41:11 AMNew reverb pedal and power brick. A fleece.
You looked at those mad pedals from Old Blood Noise Endeavors?
"What if reverb but the reverb was all fucked up, yo?"

Two days in Iceland on the 21st and 22nd - hopefully seeing the Lights!

Pink Gregory

spells, geegaws, chotchkes, an amulet, moss, bark, a bird, mink's milk, you know, normal stuff

monkfromhavana

I'm a nightmare as there's nothing I feel that I actually want or need. I'd prefer it if I as just bought socks and Bandcamp credit, but that's not allowed apparently.

JaDanketies

My French press / cafetiere smashed at the start of December when I accidentally opened a mason jar of tea against it, so I messaged my little bro, who is the poorest person that I expect to get me a present, and told him to get me another one. No electronic bullshit, just a plain old French press that you put ground coffee in and then hot water. He could get one for under a fiver if he so chooses. To be honest, I could also pick one up in the big Tesco for under a fiver, so it's a generosity to him that I'm not doing so.

And our Nutribullet broke earlier this year, and we definitely miss it. So I asked my mum to get us something that is roughly equivalent, but it doesn't have to be name-brand. I think I hit around what my mum's price-point is.

Annoyingly, for the foreseeable future, I've got to buy at least my immediate relatives something from our 2-year-old as well as from me. So far, I've bought - largely if not entirely from Etsy:

• Some 'I was born in the 1930s' vintage sweets box for my grandma
  • A scratch-off map of walking routes in the countryside area my mum and step-dad live in
  • 2 Dungeons-and-Dragons themed dodecahedron soaps for my sister-in-law
  • This Satanic tea-towel for my brother and SIL from our son
  • A 'your name in penis lettering' mug for my brother
  • A brand new height chart for our son
  • A bunch of plastic crap from the local charity shops for our son
  • Some 'chuckleberry' jam for my mum from our son
  • Some pinecone firelighters for my mum and step-dad
  • Some wooden nicer stuff from the local charity shops for my nephew
  • A mini pool table for my oldest friend, although iirc he's already got one.  Nobody hangs round in his room much so easily forgotten. Also from the charity shops.

Still got another brother and his partner and all his stepkids to get presents for. And my fiancee, who is also celebrating her 40th birthday around the holiday season. I've got her one small thing so far. I have discussed giving her straight cash to get a tattoo with and she's on-board with that but we've got a fucking mortgage together so I don't know if cash is actually a gift, our finances are intermingled.

I'm trying really hard to avoid getting any vouchers or experience vouchers or the like this year, or any freshly-manufactured plastic crap, although that might be inevitable with my step-nephews and step-nieces. I've already been told specifically what to buy them. Consumable products are ideal. 

Would be good if we went back to gender roles and my fiancee did everything. Although I don't think I'm bad at buying presents. Everything I've got so far seems pretty solid.

shiftwork2

Have you tried an aeropress?  A little (but not much) more.  Wins on quality and cleanliness.

The market for coffee machines is fucking bullshit these days.  An average department store will have two options for filter drip machines (seen as boomer probably now) and several dozen 'boiling hot milkshake' (pancreas) makers using pods or bean to-cup retailing at £200-1200.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: touchingcloth on December 05, 2021, 09:36:11 PMEaster eggs.

Dunno if this is what yer joke was based on, but when I worked retail at a big Tesco it was always depressing to see easter eggs come in at half four on Boxing Day, just before store close.

Buelligan

I never have Christmas or anything like that but I do send my brother a parcel (because I love him).  Already sent.

This year, a pretend fur blanket - this was incredibly expensive (for me), it looks extremely like fur but is not and is warm and silky as fuck (and big).  Inside it, a secondhand Emma Bridgewater Lurcher 1/2 pint mug (because I found it and he is a tea and lurcher man), two mini tennis balls scented of mint (for lurch), large box of special Frenchie chocolates, handmade card - I always make him a card - still have his, of a strange horse, from when I was six which congratulates me on getting to six and asks how big I feel (and whether that perception changed overnight).

Fr.Bigley

I've replying to everyone who asks me what I want for Christmas with "five hundred quid, cash". Placing emphasis on the word 'five' loudly. I don't want any fucking thing else, just cold hard cash to spend on tits, blow jobs and kebabs.

If I'm not worth five hundred quid cash once a year then the people I call family and friends, then they are scum. Its not an unreasonable amout to ask for, it's not even one thousand pounds.

FIVE. HUNDRED. QUID . CASH

poo

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on December 05, 2021, 10:04:23 PMSomething like that would be ideal for my list but I'm a) a saddo who still buys physical items like records, dvds and 35mm film
I used to like reading in the bath, but ending up destroying so many books the wife got me one of those waterproof kindles.  Fucking love it, it lasts for months on a charge, touchscreen even works when I've got the bubble bath machine cranked up to overflowing and everything is sudsy.

What we've ended up doing as a family is making a Google Keep list that everybody adds their wants to.  Kinda takes some of the fun out of it, but definitely makes it easier to know what everybody wants.

JaDanketies

Quote from: shiftwork2 on December 06, 2021, 09:11:28 AMHave you tried an aeropress?  A little (but not much) more.  Wins on quality and cleanliness.

My brother was going on about some other way to make coffee too, a Moka Pot, and telling me I should get one of them. Maybe one day I can try all these exciting new gadgets. I don't wanna be too excited on Boxing Day though

Ferris

Quote from: easytarget on December 06, 2021, 03:33:21 AMYou looked at those mad pedals from Old Blood Noise Endeavors?
"What if reverb but the reverb was all fucked up, yo?"

I've gone off all that sort of boutique gear - it's me in a basement with a couple of 10W practice amps for an hour or two a week, spending any money (beyond the minimum) on that seems mad.

Will have a look though because deep down I still love gear. Me and the brother in law hatched a not-so-sober plan to go in halves on a gibson SG, and he's a newly qualified lawyer so has less free time than I do. Didn't do it as our sensible partners stepped in and told us off, which is fair.

Buelligan

Quote from: JaDanketies on December 06, 2021, 10:43:35 AMMy brother was going on about some other way to make coffee too, a Moka Pot, and telling me I should get one of them. Maybe one day I can try all these exciting new gadgets. I don't wanna be too excited on Boxing Day though

He means a normal old fashioned stove-top thing, the classic Bialetti.  They're great.  The coffee made (provided you start with good coffee and you don't leave it boiling or burning) is superior to virtually any other way of making coffee IMO.  You must observe the rule though, never, ever, wash it, rinse with clean warm water, no soap or anything.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Buelligan on December 06, 2021, 11:18:50 AMHe means a normal old fashioned stove-top thing, the classic Bialetti.  They're great.  The coffee made (provided you start with good coffee and you don't leave it boiling or burning) is superior to virtually any other way of making coffee IMO.  You must observe the rule though, never, ever, wash it, rinse with clean warm water, no soap or anything.

Yeah he was saying it's the way all the Italians have their coffee. I don't quite like the idea of having to boil water on the stove tbh.

Sonny_Jim

They are pretty good, my father-in-law swears by his and the coffee that comes out always seems nice and strong.  You don't really do much more than put coffee and water in it and wait.