Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:41:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your job is to trace the history of supermarket sandwich packaging

Started by Replies From View, July 04, 2022, 12:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Replies From View

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 04, 2022, 12:16:43 PMMarks and spencer invented it

Source: brain

Ok go into the evolving packaging designs in immense detail, the different ways of folding them, the tabs and slots, the choice of sticky tape or glue.  Plastic windows where you can see the sandwiches:  go, start doing it

buttgammon

I hope this is better than Brian Confucius's book on the rise and fall of crisp packets with tranluscent windows, which was sold for £180 (£140 softcover) by Routledge and was riddled with typos and factual inaccuracies.

shoulders

dissolute ocelot

Oooh, I saw a seagull open a pre-packed sandwich last weekend, except it stuck its beak through the plastic window and pulled bits of sandwich out. Future, or cave-man tactics?

The Hapsburg emperors used to have their sandwiches packaged in a Slovene, being the driest of all the Slavs.

Replies From View

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on July 04, 2022, 11:41:44 PMOooh, I saw a seagull open a pre-packed sandwich last weekend, except it stuck its beak through the plastic window and pulled bits of sandwich out. Future, or cave-man tactics?

A little bit of both. 

On QI they compared it to the way that chimpanzees and other obsolete primates access the fruit of their bananas ("humans have been opening them upside down this entire time" - you remember that humiliating presentation), and they say we should be bashing through the plastic windows of supermarket sandwiches, just like seagulls, as well as putting chocolate digestives topping-side-down on our tongues too, like how bees do it.

So, both ancient and "the future", as long as it catches on.