Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:28:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

GoFundMe - please share - advice/ ideas welcome

Started by holyzombiejesus, July 02, 2022, 10:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dozybugcarrot

Just bumping. There must be someone on here with enough social media presence to get this attention.

@holyzombiejesus, you've done remarkable work to raise over £1000 in a week.

I've done what I can (shared on Facebook/Twitter and made a donation). I'd like to make some suggestions about your Twitter feed, if there isn't some horrible irony in getting advice from a bloke who runs a feed which struggled up to 21 followers.

I think you need to use Twitter a bit more; post an update today letting people know that you've raised £1000. That's something for people to retweet and it keeps the campaign moving. Do the same for other milestones.

Maybe also thank some of the bigger name accounts that do retweet. It sounds a bit cheesy, but an "@famousname thank you for the retweet/follow/like/whatever" might also get a bit of traction.

Lastly -and this is really poorly thought through so feel free to disregard. I've been trying to work out what made me get involved with donating and spreading the word on your campaign, because it's not something I'd normally do. Obviously it's partly because I read about it here, so it feels a little more personal. But also, it's easy to end up doing nothing because there's very little that one person can do to make a difference, however here's an occasion when I'm presented with a direct opportunity to help one family, and make a positive difference to their lives. I can't help everyone but that doesn't mean I can't help one family. I don't know if there's a way to focus down that message and go "here you are, help someone."

Dr Rock

You could mention that various charities say it's outside their remit, so hard to get help.

When approaching celebs assume a one percent reply rate, that usually holds true over most forms of this sort of thing, so dont lose hope or get frustrated. They may be up to their ears in GoFundMes or prioritise certain types.

McDead

Quote from: Registering to lurk on July 10, 2022, 10:49:54 AM@holyzombiejesus, you've done remarkable work to raise over £1000 in a week.

Maybe also thank some of the bigger name accounts that do retweet. It sounds a bit cheesy, but an "@famousname thank you for the retweet/follow/like/whatever" might also get a bit of traction.

This really does work. You're lost in a sea of people who are also trying to raise money for worthwhile causes, and an even bigger sea of people who use twitter "just for entertainment" and kind of glaze over any pleas for help. As well meaning as people can be, the feeling is that "you can't help everyone", so you end up helping no one. It's not malice, it's just the nature of the social media environment - everything and everyone is constantly moving forward in a big hurry.

You have another problem here also: people don't like to click "off" twitter. That's why so many media outlets are reducing and repackaging their output into twitter threads. They know people would rather idly scroll than click to another website. To that end, regular updates and a general precis of their situation would be a good idea. You really have to USE twitter - turning up and asking for money (even for a worthwhile cause) sends off alarm bells in people's heads. It doesn't just look like a scam, it looks like it doesn't matter all that much (I know that it does, I'm just thinking about the average twitter user here).

Acknowledging those who have helped out raises the cache of your appeal, and if they're a name in their own right, it REALLY raises that cache. It's a grindingly slow process, but as someone else has said, all it takes is one big name to send it over the top.

Good luck to you and to the family.

Buelligan

Some really great ideas there - the updates as the fund (hopefully) grows really help people to continue feeling connected and involved.  It's so horribly easy to lose focus if you're not personally in the middle of the thing. 

And I really would say that sharing, even if you can't afford to give, is a really valuable contribution.  Who knows, some of those anonymous donatations may be from people you roped in.

It's really inspiring that people continue sharing and pushing this, the lovely lovely cunts. 

holyzombiejesus

@dozybugcarrot , @Registering to lurk , @Dr Rock and @McDead . Some good ideas there, thanks.

The problem with some of it is that I have no 'name' followers/ retweeters (apart from Simon Love and Aidan Moffatt). I'm going to tweet a load of comedians and musicians today (the latter will mostly be indiepoppers) but if I can get Stuart Murdoch from Belle & Sebastian to share, that might get a bit of money coming in.

I've also just followed some popular 'kind' twitter people, stuff like Nigella Lawson, Stephen Fry, that vicar from the communards, that kind of thing. Any other ideas? Do you think it's best to just '@' them in a post? I think they may be more likely to see the message if I barge in to their conversations but not sure if this will piss them off. Got to admit, I'm going to feel really embarrassed writing "@AlexanderArmstrong/ @JamesBlunt/ @noelfielding, please could you RT, this family are in a really desperate situation and you sharing could really help them" but I guess it needs to be done.

Please keep the advice coming.

McDead

HZJ, your pinned tweet should be a thread that outlines this family's plight, and you need to announce in the first tweet of that thread that this is a THREAD, so people know there's more to read. As I said yesterday, the problem isn't just that you can't get any names to look at (and therefore support) your campaign, the problem is that if they do come to that twitter page, there's nothing to look at. There needs to be more (I hate to use this word) content relating to the campaign. You don't need to be trashy and vulgar about it... Actually, you do a bit. Twitter especially is kind of a trashy and vulgar place, that trades largely in irony and eye catching moments. You need to bear that in mind, at least a little, if you want to get people's attention.

So post more stuff on there. Not just replies, not just @s (people visiting the page won't see these, unless they click on tweets and replies, and most people won't bother doing that). But updates, details, photos (if the family is comfortable with that), anything that humanises the campaign and the people at the centre of it. Post links to articles you think are germane or highlight the wider plight here (and remember to leave a little comment on that link, don't just post a link. Again, people will only click off twitter if they feel there's a strong reason to do so)

Des Wigwam

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 11, 2022, 10:51:10 AMGot to admit, I'm going to feel really embarrassed writing "@AlexanderArmstrong/ @JamesBlunt/ @noelfielding, please could you RT, this family are in a really desperate situation and you sharing could really help them" but I guess it needs to be done.

I know what you mean but what's going to happen - you won't get invited round to Alexander Armstrong's manor house for dinner? Noel Fielding won't be whimsical with you? James Blunt seems alright as it happens so that might be a loss - but - greater good and all that. I think you're doing really well. You should keep that in mind.

Sorry I don't use Twitter or any social media outside of this forum but couldn't someone on here knock up a Twitter bot that fires things out to save you typing and pressing send? I'll offer to do it but a) I don't really know how Twitter works or shuts those thing down or if that's more harmful then helpful b) I am very very slow at doing anything from scratch.

I like the idea of personalising the request - the Greyhound Trust's slogan is something like "you can't change the world but you can change a greyhound's world" - am sure someone on here can come up with better wording but make it that this would change Perez's family's life even if nothing else. Just a thought.

McDead

Quote from: Des Wigwam on July 11, 2022, 12:57:44 PMSorry I don't use Twitter or any social media outside of this forum but couldn't someone on here knock up a Twitter bot that fires things out to save you typing and pressing send? I'll offer to do it but a) I don't really know how Twitter works or shuts those thing down or if that's more harmful then helpful b) I am very very slow at doing anything from scratch.

I hate to come across like the self proclaimed panjandrum of Twitter, but I promise you, any hint of bots and people will check right out. Make the account seem more human, not less.

Kankurette

Are you on Facebook? It's a shit heap but there might be refugee action groups there to help.

Btw my brother works for the Home Office (he deals with asylum seekers) and he's done voluntary work with charities helping refugees. I'll ask him if he knows anyone who can help.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: McDead on July 11, 2022, 01:36:31 PMI hate to come across like the self proclaimed panjandrum of Twitter, but I promise you, any hint of bots and people will check right out. Make the account seem more human, not less.

Yea that was my worry. I just wondered if there was a way to automate sending tweets off a curated list to maximise output/effort.

Can't believe I've said curated. Aren't all lists curated?

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Kankurette on July 11, 2022, 01:40:56 PMAre you on Facebook? It's a shit heap but there might be refugee action groups there to help.

Btw my brother works for the Home Office (he deals with asylum seekers) and he's done voluntary work with charities helping refugees. I'll ask him if he knows anyone who can help.

The problem seems to be that as Perez isn't an asylum seeker or refugee, they can't help. Also, because he doesn't need goods or food, other agencies can't help. I've tried so many places, I even called in at FCUM to ask for them to share but to no avail. Will keep chipping away. Thanks!

Des Wigwam

Are there any Ugandan footballers in the premier league? Just thinking of celebs with more direct connections to Perez's background.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: McDead on July 11, 2022, 11:54:27 AMHZJ, your pinned tweet should be a thread that outlines this family's plight, and you need to announce in the first tweet of that thread that this is a THREAD, so people know there's more to read. As I said yesterday, the problem isn't just that you can't get any names to look at (and therefore support) your campaign, the problem is that if they do come to that twitter page, there's nothing to look at. There needs to be more (I hate to use this word) content relating to the campaign. You don't need to be trashy and vulgar about it... Actually, you do a bit. Twitter especially is kind of a trashy and vulgar place, that trades largely in irony and eye catching moments. You need to bear that in mind, at least a little, if you want to get people's attention.

So post more stuff on there. Not just replies, not just @s (people visiting the page won't see these, unless they click on tweets and replies, and most people won't bother doing that). But updates, details, photos (if the family is comfortable with that), anything that humanises the campaign and the people at the centre of it. Post links to articles you think are germane or highlight the wider plight here (and remember to leave a little comment on that link, don't just post a link. Again, people will only click off twitter if they feel there's a strong reason to do so)

SO if I do a thread as the pinned post (presumably with the first post stating "THREAD" and including the GFM) and kind of list what's going on. 1 - Perez is ill and has 2 kids, mum is in Uganda. 2 - The kids mean he can't get medical treatment. 3 - emotional damage to children 4 - Issues with visa and cost 4 - charities etc unable to help. 5 - which is why we started GFM - please help. That kind of thing? I might do that tonight and tweet the music and comedy people tomorrow.

Re the photos, it's a bit of a tightrope between exhibiting the family and doing what it takes to get them the money/ Gloria here. I wouldn't want to stigmatise him or have people gawping, but equally he really needs help. Will have a think.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Des Wigwam on July 11, 2022, 02:11:20 PMAre there any Ugandan footballers in the premier league? Just thinking of celebs with more direct connections to Perez's background.

Been looking at that but can't see any. Uche Ikpeazu at Middlesbrough has links with Uganda but most footballers' twitter accounts seem to be run by their agents anyway.

McDead

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 11, 2022, 02:27:01 PMSO if I do a thread as the pinned post (presumably with the first post stating "THREAD" and including the GFM) and kind of list what's going on. 1 - Perez is ill and has 2 kids, mum is in Uganda. 2 - The kids mean he can't get medical treatment. 3 - emotional damage to children 4 - Issues with visa and cost 4 - charities etc unable to help. 5 - which is why we started GFM - please help. That kind of thing?

Yes, that's exactly it. I take your point about the photos, and you're right, but I was thinking about what you could do to "round out" the twitter page a little.

McDead

I would consider putting a little more detail in the bio as well. "A twitter page to help Perez and his children be reunited with their mother Gloria" then the link. Summat like that.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: McDead on July 11, 2022, 02:43:29 PMI would consider putting a little more detail in the bio as well. "A twitter page to help Perez and his children be reunited with their mother Gloria" then the link. Summat like that.

Cheers, will do. As I said, I only really ever used Twitter to find out stage times for bands so this is so useful.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Des Wigwam on July 11, 2022, 12:57:44 PMI know what you mean but what's going to happen - you won't get invited round to Alexander Armstrong's manor house for dinner? Noel Fielding won't be whimsical with you? James Blunt seems alright as it happens so that might be a loss - but - greater good and all that. I think you're doing really well. You should keep that in mind.

Thanks! I guess I'd just feel a bit embarrassed in case people I know see it and they think that I regard these celebrities in high esteem rather than actually thinking that, I dunno, Stephen Fry is a ridiculous wanker.

Have you considered contacting your regional ITV/BBC News outlets?

They do cover immigration-related and/or crowdfunding stories involving local people, and without wanting to sound crass, the emotional angle of Perez's situation may add extra interest from the broadcasters' point of view. Again not wanting to sound crass, with the summer recess in Parliament imminent and the return of club football/rugby still being a few weeks away, they'll be looking for stories to fill the half hour.

I'm sure they'll at least try to accommodate your need for discretion RE: work, even if it's one of those interviews where the interviewee is only filmed from behind or the neck down and your voice is disguised to make you sound like a drunk robot.

bgmnts

Possibly get onto Ugandan celebs on tiktok. Tiktok has a MASSIVE userbase.

Apologies if you've already tried her but Zoe Gardiner @ZoeJardiniere is another Twitter user worth contacting. As she states in her current pinned Tweet, she's worked for the Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants for a few years, tweets often on the topic to her 50k+ followers and seems to be at least left-of-centre from what I've read of her feed.

EDIT: There is the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Africa (I think the one specifically for Uganda is now defunct). Contact the group, as well as each of its MP members individually.

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmallparty/220615/africa.htm

On the topic of politicians, don't just consider Westminister MPs. Try councillors, members of the Scottish/Welsh/Northern Irish assemblies and parliaments (who may not be bound by the same "if not my constituency, can't help" conventions as Westminister MPs you mentioned before). Even former members of the European Parliament may have relatively large social media reaches and/or contacts within their respective parties, who may in turn have contacts within, or the ability to influence/pressure the Home Office

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: DelurkedToHelp on July 11, 2022, 05:20:31 PMApologies if you've already tried her but Zoe Gardiner @ZoeJardiniere is another Twitter user worth contacting. As she states in her current pinned Tweet, she's worked for the Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants for a few years, tweets often on the topic to her 50k+ followers and seems to be at least left-of-centre from what I've read of her feed.

EDIT: There is the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Africa (I think the one specifically for Uganda is now defunct). Contact the group, as well as each of its MP members individually.

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmallparty/220615/africa.htm

On the topic of politicians, don't just consider Westminister MPs. Try councillors, members of the Scottish/Welsh/Northern Irish assemblies and parliaments (who may not be bound by the same "if not my constituency, can't help" conventions as Westminister MPs you mentioned before). Even former members of the European Parliament may have relatively large social media reaches and/or contacts within their respective parties, who may in turn have contacts within, or the ability to influence/pressure the Home Office

I hadn't followed Zoe but have just done so. From her bio, she has now left the JCFTWOI and is now having "a hit girl summer"! Will tweet and see if she can help anyway. I'd already contacted the JCFTWOI and they, like every other charity, have been sympathetic and expressed concern but unable to help.

Been given a link to a SNP MP and will try councillors. Will definitely contact the All-Party Parliamentary Group for Africa. Thanks so much for the ideas.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: McDead on July 11, 2022, 02:43:29 PMI would consider putting a little more detail in the bio as well. "A twitter page to help Perez and his children be reunited with their mother Gloria" then the link. Summat like that.

Done!

One (hopefully) last question. Tonight, I was going to tweet all the comedy and music people that I'm following with something like "@comedyperson Please could you take a look at the following and possibly retweet. This family are in a terrible situation and really need help. You sharing could make a huge difference. Thanks. [GFM link]"  Do you think that's a decent approach to take?

Dex Sawash

People, well-known ones especially, may be worried about a milkshake duck situation? Can you add some background story?

Des Wigwam

Is Kiri Pritchard-Maclean on your list? She is very <can't think of the phrase> socially motivated (?) and would be worth asking for a retweet.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Dex Sawash on July 12, 2022, 12:52:24 PMPeople, well-known ones especially, may be worried about a milkshake duck situation? Can you add some background story?

It's on the pinned tweet/ GFM page. Didn't want to put more info as presumed it would be best to keep it brief in the hope they'd click on.

Quote from: Des Wigwam on July 12, 2022, 01:54:50 PMIs Kiri Pritchard-Maclean on your list? She is very <can't think of the phrase> socially motivated (?) and would be worth asking for a retweet.

Will follow her now. Thanks!

McDead

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 12, 2022, 11:08:06 AMDone!

One (hopefully) last question. Tonight, I was going to tweet all the comedy and music people that I'm following with something like "@comedyperson Please could you take a look at the following and possibly retweet. This family are in a terrible situation and really need help. You sharing could make a huge difference. Thanks. [GFM link]"  Do you think that's a decent approach to take?

Link to your pinned tweet, not the GFM page. The pinned tweet contains the link, but also drives them to your twitter page where they can get more details. Remember what I said about people not wanting to click off twitter? Other than that, it all looks good.

Also, retweet your own pinned tweet as often as possible to keep it in the minds of those people who are following you. Once a day is about what the average twitter user will bear.

holyzombiejesus

Just sent about 315 tweets, which took a bit over 2 hours. The views of the thread I pinned have gone from 608 to 7,684. That has led to a total of 23 profile visits and raised a grand total of... nothing. Early days yet though.

On the plus side, "Neville Southall MBE Retweeted your Tweet"

Had some DMs from a woman asking an awful lot of questions. Made me feel a bit uncomfortable TBH.

Dr Rock