Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,491
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:57:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

GoFundMe - please share - advice/ ideas welcome

Started by holyzombiejesus, July 02, 2022, 10:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McDead

Yeah totally man. Getting that number of impressions is no small feat.

holyzombiejesus

Just had a retweet from a Green in the House of Lords asking me to contact my local Green Party office ASAP. Meanwhile, not one of the SCG nor his own Labour MP or my Labour councillor have done a fucking thing.

Was up til half one this morning stressing about all this and people like Bastani and my own friends on Facebook can't be arsed to even press a fucking button. I will win though, by leaving a snide comment on my Facebook if we reach the target.

holyzombiejesus

Cunts!

https://twitter.com/uncleplug/status/1547224422959964163

QuoteYou need to provide some more details such as who you are, how you know "Perez", links to charities/NFPs that may be able to vouch for this situation and fundraiser etc. Sorry, but this looks like a scam to me - think I'll report it and let GoFundMe check it out.

https://twitter.com/Cheoffors/status/1547235901843161088

QuoteHopefully a legitimate cause for consideration - but too poorly described to instil any confidence. I am reporting it to @gofundme for their review.

Serves me right for posting on a Jolyon thread. Hopefully nothing comes of it.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 13, 2022, 05:42:56 PMCunts!
https://twitter.com/uncleplug/status/1547224422959964163

https://twitter.com/Cheoffors/status/1547235901843161088

Serves me right for posting on a Jolyon thread. Hopefully nothing comes of it.

You have the reports you can show to GoFundMe if they do ask for further info, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Also, don't dwell on the lack of engagement from people you perhaps expected more from. I understand why you may feel disheartened by that but you're nearly halfway to your goal in less than 2 weeks after starting completely from scratch. That's some going! That message from the Green Lord sounds promising too.

I'm still thinking of ideas of who you could contact. Are there any channels on the likes of Sky aimed at Africans living in the UK that may have shows that features stories about others in the community like Perez's? Likewise, radio stations including internet-only ones.

holyzombiejesus

One of the problems is that Perez has a disease that still has a huge amount of stigma attached to it. The area he lives in isn't the most accepting of people  and the two combined wouldn't be nice. Also, and I don't want to sound lazy, I'm stil having to manage a full caseload on top of this and as much as I want to get to the total, I can't be taking too much extra on. TBH, it's starting to make me a bit ill. I was sat at my desk for 12 hours yesterday and was still up at half one last night, drinking whisky as I couldn't sleep. Don't want a sob story but it feels that all this is on me. Councillors, MP, names who could promote, 'friends', children's services, adult services, the church, even members of his own family; they've all abdicated responsibility and the pressure feels so immense.

Wasn't going to mention this as it's getting a bit like that Big Train That's Life sketch, but Perez rang me yesterday. He has previously been told that he needs a [really horrible sounding operation] but the doctor wanted to wait until he lived in a single-level flat/ bungalow so he didn't have to use stairs (he will never get this as he lives in a place where they knock down good houses so they can build expensive apartments). Yesterday, P was told that the doctor now wants him to have the op in 2 weeks as the risk of his condition leading to him being paralysed is greater than the issue of the stairs. How the fuck do you react to that? He has two kids at home and no support! It's just farcical and the only two options are sending the children in to emergency foster care for weeks (which will cost double figure thousands) or fund the fucking visa. To hell with the emotional damage to the children, fuck Perez gambling with his future. Ken Loach would find it a bit far fetched in the misery stakes.

Bit of a rant there. Sorry. One of the few glimmers in this has been the support from you lot, so genuine and heartfelt thanks. As for the other cunts, the ones who can't normally keep their fingers out of every thread going, I see you. *spits*

The only amusing part of the day was when I was trying to contact my local Green Party, as Lady Greenwoman asked. If you google 'Green Party', the number it displays is for a small house in Leeds where an old lady will talk to you for about 20 minutes about her cat and how hot it is and how she got her number put on as she didn't think it was fair that people should have to ring London all the time. No response from P's local Green Party despite tweets and emails, which is a bit of a fucker.

holyzombiejesus

Someone just donated £100. All is well (well, better) with the world.

flotemysost

That's shit, I'm really sorry to hear that hzj - unbelievable that the system/process is so horribly bloody-minded.

I was just logging in to say massive props for getting this far (put some dough in a couple of days ago and completely forgot to post in here) - honestly, it's an amazing achievement and I can't begin to imagine how stressful it must be for you. I have just-about-spectral social media presence but I'll see if anyone I know is able to help spread this about.

bgmnts

I mean 1600 quid in this short a time is incredible so that's a positive.

flotemysost

Just an idea - do you know of any support groups/networks for people who have/are affected by his specific health condition? Not necessarily charities, but stuff like Facebook groups, online forums, even hashtags, that kind of thing - who might be open to sharing the link? I appreciate people who are coping with serious illness likely have more than enough on their plate already, but it could help it to reach a sympathetic audience (friends/family of those affected)?

If that's an inappropriate suggestion/too tricky to navigate/already tried then please ignore me obvs.

holyzombiejesus

No, not at all. I'm really grateful for any ideas. I've tried it and they will buy him a fridge (I could have got him about 50 fridges this week) buthave no means of sharing the campaign. Also, he is wary of letting people know about [his illness]. Thanks though.
I've asked a local foodbank/ donating page to share and where I live has a woman who started that Incredible Edible thing so I'm going to try and speak with her at the weekend.

flotemysost

Of course, can completely see how sharing someone's sensitive medical information might not be the best idea.

Dex Sawash

You might get more online engagement for the GoFundMe if you explain very specifically how the money will be spent. As it is it's a little vague (I don't know how it works, can you just pay to jump the queue/get a visa approved in the UK?) Depending on how the process works, you might also consider trying to convince local MP to grease the administrative wheels, as opposed to helping with the fundraising.

Hats off to you for going above and beyond to help this family, by the way.

Des Wigwam

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 13, 2022, 09:18:21 PM(I could have got him about 50 fridges this week)

Different approach - what's the value of 50 second hand fridges?

I just want to offer a bit more moral support and to say please be careful not to let this burn you out. Even if you dropped it right now you've done so much.

And don't let the Twitter / scam thing get to you (easier said than done) - it's fair for people to ask but pretty shitty of them to possibly derail something out and out so that's on them not you. @convulsivespace 's idea about explaining where the money will go seems a good idea. @McDead might have some input on how best to handle the "scam" thing - do you just let these things ride, or capitalize on it by showing it isn't .. I have no idea.

Crenners

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 12, 2022, 07:33:30 PMJust sent about 315 tweets, which took a bit over 2 hours. The views of the thread I pinned have gone from 608 to 7,684. That has led to a total of 23 profile visits and raised a grand total of... nothing.

OK, a serious post. First, congratulations: You have already comfortably exceeded the average fundraiser in terms of backers, funds raised and percentage raised. Whether or not you reach the total, you've made a significant contribution through the trust and affection you've inspired in people here and elsewhere. With that in mind, please take the below as context rather than criticism.

I'd not read this thread til now (and you'll see why momentarily) but you've unfortunately discovered the essence of fundraising via Twitter/FB and the delusion of 'pls share'. It's not only ineffective on such a small scale, it's been suggested people are actually less likely to contribute when they can RT or Share instead. There's a vast body of research on the links between social media and compassion fatigue which also covers why people share or not. In short, it's got nothing to do with empathy and everything to do with the psychological impact of social media. Either way, 'pls share' is ineffective.

In better news, people's willingness to share has no bearing on their willingness or capacity to make charitable contributions so please don't write off your friends and celebrity heroes because they're not biting. Email them. Text them (not the celebs). They're much more likely to say yes, even to get you to shut the fuck up. Ta-dah. This is charity fundraising. Update them periodically, they will feel they've done something worthwhile and may feel more personally invested. They might even contribute again when you're closer to the goal! And if they say no, it means no and don't ask again. You don't know their circumstances.

Aside from 'just asking people', for a small target like this, direct community engagement (like you've done here) is by far the most effective and I would recommend targeting any other specific groups you can, either within the geographical, cultural or medical communities. You're looking for people who can either directly relate to Perez or his family or his plight. People don't necessarily give to cancer charities just because they want to help people with cancer. It's often more out of gratitude that their grandad is still alive or the inverse.

Since this particular case has several sensitive and complex elements, it may well be a bit difficult to engage people. You've got administrative issues, visas, medical care, childcare, intermittent support from friends, and you've also got some deliberately vague elements. What medical care? Who's raising the money? Where does it go? What's the timeframe? Is the visa a definite? That's not a criticism of the GFM nor a diminishment of this cause, you're bound by circumstance. I'm just saying that it's harder to hook people, as evidenced by the replies and DMs on Twitter and the fact that Perez already has charities and organisations working on his behalf who haven't resolved things. Again, well done for everything you've achieved in spite of this. It sounds incredibly frustrating so remember how far you've come.

Feel free to disregard this advice as it may be too late but I would focus on 'Get Gloria Home'. Gloria is stranded from her kids. Why? She's stuck in Uganda, the kids are in the UK. Oh, with whom? Their dad, Perez. That's OK then? Perez needs urgent medical attention. So, what will happen to the kids? Exactly. Get Gloria Home. I love my mum. Here's some money.

Whatever you do next, with the target relatively reachable, I would also recommend doing some unrelated fundraising activities to add to the pot. You could do a sponsored swim or half marathon or whatever. There's a million more productive things you can do than tweeting at celebs. If you got kids or a couple of supportive mates, get them on the case and multiply your takings exponentially. It's easy for people to understand 'I'm doing a thing for charity' and they typically prefer transactional contributions to 'asking for money'.

All the best with it. It's fucking hard and you've done a brilliant job.

___
Right, need to go and make a GRAVERAPER thread or something.

Crenners

I really hope that Get Gloria Home doesn't read as 'what you should have done is...'. That's definitely not my intention. I just wanted to give my perspective on how you might present this terribly sad, complex situation in a straightforward way that explains where the money is going and that people are more likely to understand.

I totally appreciate that your personal and professional interest in Perez was the driver for the fundraising, and therefore this is 'about Perez'. My suggestion is that since the money isn't going to Perez, nor to directly respond to his healthcare needs, there may be a clearer narrative here. You can't change the GFM or Twitter account without ruining the credibility but it might be useful to consider that narrative when talking to people or emailing, etc.

Good luck.

Zero Gravitas

Quote from: convulsivespace on July 14, 2022, 04:33:01 AMAs it is it's a little vague (I don't know how it works, can you just pay to jump the queue/get a visa approved in the UK?)

Yeah I'd agree with this The quickest way to solve the visa issue is to pay sounds a bit like you're giving a bureaucrat a bribe whereas something like The quickest way to ruinite this family is the Visas and Immigration Service 'Super Priority Service', which increases pencil twiddling velocity at £800 a pencil and blah blah blah

Anyway, I'll donate now for the pleasure of contributing an opinion.

holyzombiejesus

Thanks again for the advice, it so appreciated.

Just had word from Perez's church - they're going to give me £250 which brings us up to £2,000 after 12 days! So, just 1,600 to go. Think this will be the hardest bit but I'm starting to have less doubts that we'll get there.

I'd like to do something whereby I could earn more, whether that be by getting sponsored or some other fundraising but, to be blunt, I don't have very many friends or even acquaintances. Only about 10% of my 120 Facebook friends seem arsed about the appeal and I don't really have the time either. Spent last weekend on the GFM and didn't ake my little boy out so need to try and keep things in proportion.

Having said that, I'm trying to get some ideas for the final push. Crenner's comment about focussing on "geographical, cultural or medical communities" got me thinking. It's difficult to get the attention of local groups as much of them are based around Facebook groups that don't allow GFMs. Having said that, there are a few organisations that seem quite well respected and populated by decent sorts so will try them.
Ideally, there would be a decent music forum I would already be posting on but there's not really anything as good as Oscillations.

I was thinking about maybe trying football club forums. I'm not sure what the different forum's rules are for posting GFMs and it won't be easy to be taken seriously as a zero post person who arrives asking for money but I was thinking of framing it in terms of "I'm trying to get fans of all 92 league clubs to contribute". With 'just' £1,600 to raise, we need less than £20 per club. It might be a massive undertaking though so am unsure. Could possibly start a league at a time? Anyone reading this on any club forums? Might ask in the football threads. Have to prepare myself for lots of "I'm sorry, we're full" but hey ho.

Also thought on the train home how it might be worth approaching this from the other end. Instead of asking UK organisations to send money so Gloria can come home, I wonder if any Ugandan charities might be able to send her here to her children. I emailed her and asked, and she said she had no idea of anything like that but I think it might be worth looking in to. Most of the charities I've seen in Uganda seem to deal with starvation, lack of education and extreme poverty (so she should feel at home in North Manchester) so they might tell me to fuck off emailing from a relatively privileged position. Not sure on that one.

Regarding Twitter, I'm thinking of a slight change in tack. Will continue to try and attract 'normal' people as friends and to follow others, if only so I have a 'database' of people I can tweet. Most of the ones coming up in my recommendations seem to be FBPE/ rejoin the EU types but they seem keen on following back. Will continue to ask for RTs from blue ticks but might put a thing in asking if any followers that see, could follow back. Bad idea? Then instead of tweeting the 'normal' people asking for shares, I might just ask for donations. Was thinking of writing 'if just 100 people can give £20, we've done it' kind of thing. Again, what do you think?

Mumsnet don't allow GFMs which is a shame as was looking forward to doing a Tootsie.

As ever, any advice would be great.

TrenterPercenter

What about local radio? There are a few online things going on might be something you can piggy back on.  Also might be a long shot but I was wondering about perhaps sending an email to Novara media, explain everything and ask them if you could post a super chat during one of the shows that would draw attention to it and then you could post the GFM page in the chat.  Getting a retweet from a well known Twitter personality would be good (have you asked Barry for any contacts?).  Also have you thought about making a little video of Perez just describing the whole situation you could try and get any support worker/GP/People from the church (worth an email and good grounds on improving his health) I'm sure someone here could edit it and put some text on it (sorry I'm not very skilled at that kind of thing).

Sorry might not be the most useful ideas here but I've sent some money along anyway - you'll get there and proper respect to you HZJ for doing this.

TrenterPercenter

https://imix.org.uk

Also what about sending an email to this place and asking for advice they will have contacts and perhaps even a twitter.

Just under two-thirds of the way to the goal now, brilliant!

I hope you're feeling a bit better and less stressed than you said you were in your more recent posts, @holyzombiejesus.

TrenterPercenter

Was just thinking about bumping the thread - I've shared the link and I know the old man (Pops) is keen to donate and share.

Mister Six

I've followed and shared on Twitter, for all the good it'll do (I hardly use it, so don't have a ton of followers) and am gonna donate later today.

Only just saw this thread and have only skimmed it, so maybe someone else said this, but try poking Neil Gaiman - he's permanently on Twitter, very interactive, has millions of followers and I believe he's promoted noble causes in the past. Maybe he doesn't to it any more, but worth a crack?

Also, I agree with this:

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on July 14, 2022, 12:50:15 PMYeah I'd agree with this The quickest way to solve the visa issue is to pay sounds a bit like you're giving a bureaucrat a bribe whereas something like The quickest way to ruinite this family is the Visas and Immigration Service 'Super Priority Service', which increases pencil twiddling velocity at £800 a pencil and blah blah blah

Anyway, I'll donate now for the pleasure of contributing an opinion.

Mister Six

Also, I don't know if it's been suggested already, but try /r/charity on Reddit. I was just going to bang it up on there to spread the word, but there are lots of rules and things, and I didn't want to fuck it up by not having all the relevant info if mods asked.

hamfist

Keep pushing, you're doing an amazing job, don't let the friction grind you down.

I will donate again and again whenever I have the readies available.

Keep your head up, you're made of nobler stuff than most and you are going to nail this target.

holyzombiejesus

Thank you thank you peace and love peace and love.

Thanks so much. Really was getting downhearted again (aside from the church donation, only got £15 yesterday) but that's usual for a pessimistic misery guts. Went and had a coffee with the woman who started Incredible Edible this morning and she's given me a contact for someone who  may chip in. She also shared and we got another £300+ in over the space of an hour or so, which was absolutely amazing. Also shared on a Port Vale FC forum and they've chipped in too. Will definitely try and join all the different league teams' forums over the next few days and ask fans to help. Think I've already said it but we'd only need about £15 per club if they let me post. I'm starting to feel a bit excited now. The thought of being able to post a photo on here of the family all together gets me a bit giddy.

Thanks again for ideas, will have another read tomorrow and act on them on Monday.

Mister Six

I mean, let's face it, raising the 2,400 that you already have is an incredible achievement. Never lose hope!

holyzombiejesus

This is weird. Went to bed fed up on Friday having only got £15 that day. Since then, I've had £695 through. Almost £700 in about 36 hours. Less than a grand to go!

Dr Rock

holyzombiejesus

Yeah! It's dead good. I have a hunch most of today's is church related. There's a really nice christian organisation who are helping Perez by taking the kids out for a day a week during the holidays and the woman in charge of that said she'd try and fundraise. The majority of today's money came in between 10:00 and 11:00, and 19:00 and 20:00, mostly from women called things like Janet, Maureen and Judith.