Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:27:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Favourite Antiques Roadtrip Expert?

Started by Gob Shine Algorithm, February 17, 2023, 10:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Favourite Antiques Roadtrip Expert?

Charles Hanson
1 (3.4%)
Philip Serrell
4 (13.8%)
Natasha Raskin Sharp
17 (58.6%)
Charlie Ross
0 (0%)
Other
7 (24.1%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Gob Shine Algorithm

Last night I had a dream where Natasha Raskin Sharp and Christina Trevanion were amalgamated into one character. What's that about? Lazy subconscious. We were in bed together but it was just platonic.

It's a weird thing that I don't actually dislike _any_ of the experts. Even the one that looks like a kind of simmering-anger version of Alex Lowe (I don't know his name). You'd think there'd be at least one I hate, but I don't?

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/640x360/p07ly1xq.jpg

poo

Norton Canes

ARFUR NEGUS

holyzombiejesus

Apparently, Natasha has a radio show and plays really ace music. She likes The Pastels!

Gob Shine Algorithm

Quote from: Jim_MacLaine on February 17, 2023, 10:51:00 AMIt's fucking Paul Laidlaw.

Laidlaw seems like one of the ones who knows most about antiques, and is playing to win (as opposed to the wacky shit chosen by Serrell, Margie and co (love them as I do).

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 17, 2023, 11:12:21 AMApparently, Natasha has a radio show and plays really ace music. She likes The Pastels!

!!! Will investigate. Radio Scotland by all accounts.

Tapiocahead

Paul Laidlaw is the boss of antiques and another with pretty decent taste in music

McDead

Yeah, got to be a tie between Natasha Raskin-Sharp and Paul Laidlaw. I won't watch Bargain Hunt if Natasha isn't hosting it. Charlie Ross is alright I suppose. That Knowles cunt from Antiques Roadshow can go straight to hell, an utterly dismal phony.

Additional NRS fact: she worked for the Obama during his first campaign run. Additional NRS non-fact: I like to imagine her and Trevanion are two different incarnations of Romana from Dr Who. Don't judge me.

Gob Shine Algorithm

Quote from: McDead on February 17, 2023, 06:51:45 PMAdditional NRS non-fact: I like to imagine her and Trevanion are two different incarnations of Romana from Dr Who. Don't judge me.

Being hundreds of years old _would_ give them an advantage in knowing about antiques.

I think there's often been episodes where the experts have ummed and ahhed at bits of Dr Who merch -- usually remote control Daleks and K9s missing their controllers, and always dating from the Russell T Davies reboot rather than vintage. Bless.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Gob Shine Algorithm on February 17, 2023, 10:19:24 AMLast night I had a dream where Natasha Raskin Sharp and Christina Trevanion were amalgamated into one character. What's that about? Lazy subconscious. We were in bed together but it was just platonic.

It's a weird thing that I don't actually dislike _any_ of the experts. Even the one that looks like a kind of simmering-anger version of Alex Lowe (I don't know his name). You'd think there'd be at least one I hate, but I don't?

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/640x360/p07ly1xq.jpg

Your telling me you honestly don't hate the guy in the jacket in that picture

Fair play

Urinal Cake

I think the one I'm thing of is John Sandon just a likeable nerd.

Cuellar

McDead

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on February 17, 2023, 08:47:04 PMYour telling me you honestly don't hate the guy in the jacket in that picture

Fair play

Charles Hanson is a upper crust fanny, a sort of poundshop Jacob Rees-Mogg, but there is something oddly endearing about him. He's a klutzy nincompoop who stumbles arse backwards into the occasional decent find, and who doesn't seem to really have a bad bone in his body. Tim Wonnacott (the actual real star of ART) affectionately calls him a stupid boy during his voiceover, which I always find quite amusing/endearing

Philip Serrell has a chip on his shoulder a mile wide, and I always get the impression that the various other pundits have to walk on eggshells around him lest he fly into a sulk. Sort of guy who has to be the funniest person in the room otherwise he metaphorically packs up his toys and goes home.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: McDead on February 17, 2023, 09:24:00 PMCharles Hanson is a upper crust fanny, a sort of poundshop Jacob Rees-Mogg, but there is something oddly endearing about him. He's a klutzy nincompoop who stumbles arse backwards into the occasional decent find, and who doesn't seem to really have a bad bone in his body.

One of my ex-girlfriends used to fancy him and said I looked like him a bit. Basically we both wear glasses.

lankyguy95

Charles Hanson's great.

My problem with these now is that there are too many good looking ones. Trevanion and Raskin Sharp obviously, but I can barely concentrate on Bargain Hunt or Road Trip when Stephanie Connell's on.

buzby

Catherine Southon always has a bit of a mischevious twinkle in her eye.

It's always funny seeing Charlie Ross pop up in his other career as an aucttioneer on american classic car shows on Discovery.

Gob Shine Algorithm

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on February 17, 2023, 09:05:55 PMThe black one

Raj Bisram, yes. I was at a birthday party at Lydiard Park (the stately home estate in central Swindon, if you can imagine such a thing) and they were filming Roadtrip on the gravel drive. There was Raj in his trademark red jacket. The motor was a Cherry Red Thunderbird. I get the impression actual filming had finished some time ago and were just basking in the vibe? I just lurked in the shrubbery like a giallo type.

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on February 17, 2023, 08:47:04 PMYour telling me you honestly don't hate the guy in the jacket in that picture

Fair play

Other thread monkeys have defended Hanson better than I can, but suffice it to say, I love him. He's in that unique category along with Steed from the Avengers, of being ultra-posh but being so personable and full of life, it's all offset. In a way, I love the way he makes me think about it, the class system in this country being such a mess. Rich people idly speculating on antiques, unchallenged by society ...versus nouveau rich people idly working from home on middle-middle-management spreadsheets. unchallenged by society. Maybe we're all in heaven? Is this heaven?

beanheadmcginty

I.D. Smith

Izzie Balmer. Very likeable.

Been watching Antiques Roadtrip on mute in the background while working from home* for best part of 3 years now. Whenever the day comes where my working life changes or I retire, then Covid, WFH and Izzie Balmer will forever be bonded together in mind.

*If my employer reads this, this is just a fiction

Gob Shine Algorithm

Quote from: I.D. Smith on February 19, 2023, 06:27:06 PM*If my employer reads this, this is just a fiction

My employer also (I am a hard-working civil servant implementing Brexit and international trade)

Tapiocahead

David Harper is the worst one. If I was on Bargain Hunt and that gurning cunt appeared to be my expert I would simply walk away

Gob Shine Algorithm

Quote from: Tapiocahead on February 19, 2023, 11:30:15 PMDavid Harper is the worst one. If I was on Bargain Hunt and that gurning cunt appeared to be my expert I would simply walk away

I don't mind him. Very magnanimous to the Scouse race nowadays, with the Kopp era of the Bindippers and everything. I've even started liking Scouse Git on Sickness & in Health.

gilbertharding

Who had Charles Hanson?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-67783755

QuoteAuctioneer Charles Hanson has been charged with actual bodily harm after a domestic incident in Derbyshire.

Derbyshire Police say the TV antiques expert has been charged with several offences, after officers were called to an address in Quarndon in June.

They include two counts of ABH, two counts of assault and engaging in controlling and coercive behaviour.

The 45-year-old has been released on bail to appear at Southern Derbyshire Magistrates' Court on 10 January.

Mr Hanson first acted as an antiques expert on the BBC's Bargain Hunt in 2002.

He has also appeared on Flog It! and Antiques Road Trip.

Mr Hanson is also known for running Hansons Auctioneers, which is based in Etwall, Derbyshire.

The Culture Bunker

As an aside, Antiques Roadtrip was a fairly pleasant bit of junk TV comfort food for the wife and I, until they completely fucked it up by changing the format. I have to assume it's some kind of either cost-cutting or self-sabotage so they can ditch it.

I'll admit to a bit of a crush on Roo, but she has crap taste when it comes to buying tat.

gilbertharding

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 29, 2023, 06:58:11 PMAs an aside, Antiques Roadtrip was a fairly pleasant bit of junk TV comfort food for the wife and I, until they completely fucked it up by changing the format. I have to assume it's some kind of either cost-cutting or self-sabotage so they can ditch it.

I'll admit to a bit of a crush on Roo, but she has crap taste when it comes to buying tat.

What format change has irked you? Just the one classic car? I assumed that was a sop to the eco-warriors rather than a cost thing.

McDead

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 29, 2023, 06:58:11 PMAs an aside, Antiques Roadtrip was a fairly pleasant bit of junk TV comfort food for the wife and I, until they completely fucked it up by changing the format. I have to assume it's some kind of either cost-cutting or self-sabotage so they can ditch it.

The last time I watched it, it looked very slick and filmic, creating an oddly alienating effect, and the roadtrippers were a pair of unlikeable twats who no longer even went to the auction. Switched it off, pronto.