Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:40:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mark Stewart of The Pop Group. R.I.P.

Started by Brundle-Fly, April 21, 2023, 07:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

buttgammon

For fuck's sake! I'll always remember putting 'She is Beyond Good and Evil' as the opener on a post-punk mix CD-R I made for a girl I fancied.

Pink Gregory

Vodkafone

Ahh fucking hell. A visionary, uncompromising force in music who made some brilliant records. I mostly love the stuff he did with Maffia, listen to this and tell me it doesn't reek of prefab concrete

Sometimes he felt the pain
Sometimes he felt the strain
But he never gave up and laid down his arms

dissolute ocelot

Very sad. The early Pop Group stuff still sounds unbelievable, She Is Beyond Good And Evil and We Are All Prostitutes, and the rest. I saw him live in the early 2010s, still sounding very good. And only 62. Started The Pop Group when he was 17!

sardines

Saw him not that long ago (turns out to be 2019) and like seeing Wire it was a show full of 'now' not settling into nostalgia.

I almost said this previously but the amount of men of this generation dying late 50s-early 60s feels fuckin bleak. Happy for someone to tell me this is statistically bullshit.

Video Game Fan 2000

christ this is a bad year

i dont have enough for words for how much i loved the pop group in uni

i think i listened to Y and the Peel sessions every single day for two years

cosmic-hearse

Just came across this Adrian Sherwood quote, even more poignant coming after Jah Shaka's recent passing:

"Mark Stewart used to go to Jah Shaka and tape it. It was all so distorted and he'd want to make his records sound like that, which I thought was brilliant. Mark Stewart is a genius, I love him to death. I thought at first he was taking the piss with his live Shaka tapes, but he wasn't, he was deadly serious. He wanted his records to sound like Shaka overloaded."

justin_bennett

Quote from: poodlefaker on April 21, 2023, 11:23:37 PMThis is a good thing: https://www.vice.com/en/article/jm5agp/vic-reeves-vs-the-pop-group

Thanks for that, had forgotten about the Vic / Test Dept link. Has been a sad 24hrs since hearing the news.

Last time I saw Mark was a year ago in Glasgow - he was well oiled, cadging drinks off folk in the crowd. Still managed to pull off a blinder of a gig though. RIP.

NoSleep

Fuck! I only found out about this today! Mark Stewart & The Maffia were one of the greatest live bands of all time.

I was at this gig; ULU (circa '86); they were supporting Swans and the Maffia were fucking awesome as usual.

RIP

Head Gardener

Digging through 12"s today I came across this one by Mark Stewart & The Maffia which has old phone numbers from Adrian, Rusty and others written on the fold-out poster sleeve, can't remember how I came by it but as it's 40+ years old I guess those numbers don't ring no more!

NoSleep

But that's not THE Mark Stewart & the Maffia that are playing in the clip I posted above; the one with the Sugarhill Record's house band of Doug Wimbish (channeling Jimi Hendrix thru his bass), Skip McDonald & Keith LeBlanc, plus Adrian Sherwood on the mixing desk, pulling off a live dub mix throughout.

Not that Learning To Cope With Cowardice doesn't have its high spots; Jerusalem (yeah, THAT heretical tune) is awesome.