Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,797
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:39:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs you've never heard

Started by idunnosomename, January 31, 2024, 06:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Never heard Galway Girl by Ed Sheeran. Long may it stay that way.

What songs have you never heard?

I actually think this might be an interesting thread tbh

Magnum Valentino

Magnum Valentino

I've never heard that Despacito song that set some streaming record a few years ago, and I also don't think I've ever heard a Talking Heads song unless they've a famous one that I might have heard on Radio 2 in the background and not recognized.

Anything by Taylor Swift. I love pop music. I love big American superstar pop. And she seems like a GBOL.

Can anyone recommend any of her bangers?

JesusAndYourBush

Mr Brightside.
Whenever anyone mentions it it's always the same comment (that it's a banger but the lyrics are a bit dodgy).
The other day I was wondering if it's one of those songs where I've unknowingly heard it, so I gave it a listen.
1. No, I hadn't heard it before.
2. I was underwhelmed and quit halfway through.

hamfist

I've  never heard "Animal (Fuck Like A Beast)" by W.A.S.P. I'm only aware of it because of the stupid title. I'm guessing it sounds like Motley Crue.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Deskbound Cunt on January 31, 2024, 08:19:20 PMAnything by Taylor Swift. I love pop music. I love big American superstar pop. And she seems like a GBOL.

Can anyone recommend any of her bangers?
only just found out the "haters gonna hate" song is called "Shake it Off". I've heard a bit of that so it doesn't count for me.

idunnosomename

Quote from: curiousoranges on January 31, 2024, 09:12:11 PMI've  never heard "Animal (Fuck Like A Beast)" by W.A.S.P. I'm only aware of it because of the stupid title. I'm guessing it sounds like Motley Crue.
and because it's in the PMRC's Filthy 15. which i've not heard all of. including the W.A.S.P. although some i know VERY well!!

Quote1    Prince    "Darling Nikki"    Sex/masturbation
2    Sheena Easton    "Sugar Walls"    Sex
3    Judas Priest    "Eat Me Alive"    Sex/violence
4    Vanity    "Strap On 'Robbie Baby'"    Sex
5    Mötley Crüe    "Bastard"    Violence/language
6    AC/DC    "Let Me Put My Love Into You"    Sex
7    Twisted Sister    "We're Not Gonna Take It"    Violence
8    Madonna    "Dress You Up"    Sex
9    W.A.S.P.    "Animal (Fuck Like a Beast)"    Sex/language/violence
10    Def Leppard    "High 'n' Dry (Saturday Night)"    Drug and alcohol use
11    Mercyful Fate    "Into the Coven"    Occult
12    Black Sabbath    "Trashed"    Drug and alcohol use
13    Mary Jane Girls    "In My House"    Sex
14    Venom    "Possessed"    Occult
15    Cyndi Lauper    "She Bop"    Sex/masturbation

seems very quaint a rather obscure Black Sabbath song from their rather oddball Ian Gillan album is there. almost like they just picked the newest album by a big metal band and looked at the lyrics for the first song

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 31, 2024, 08:57:52 PMMr Brightside.
Whenever anyone mentions it it's always the same comment (that it's a banger but the lyrics are a bit dodgy).
The other day I was wondering if it's one of those songs where I've unknowingly heard it, so I gave it a listen.
1. No, I hadn't heard it before.
2. I was underwhelmed and quit halfway through.j

You didn't watch the documentary The Call Centre?

Enjoy!

Brundle-Fly

I've never knowingly heard the 1999 UK No.1 hit single Everybody's Free To Wear Sunscreen by Baz Lurhmann.  Obviously, I can't check on YouTube now to see if maybe I have heard it because it will break the spell of never hearing this novelty single for the past quarter of a century. How did something so popular in the mainstream completely pass me by? I was still vaguely listening to the charts back then too (at age 33y). The way the track has been described to me since rings no bells whatsoever. Weird.

wrec

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 31, 2024, 09:41:52 PMand because it's in the PMRC's Filthy 15. which i've not heard all of. including the W.A.S.P. although some i know VERY well!!

seems very quaint a rather obscure Black Sabbath song from their rather oddball Ian Gillan album is there. almost like they just picked the newest album by a big metal band and looked at the lyrics for the first song

They didn't even make it as far as Disturbing the Priest! Actual deep cuts by Priest, AC/DC, Venom and Prince there. For a balance of big hits and Helen Lovejoy vibes I'd pick Better By You, Better Than Me, Highway to Hell, In League With Satan and Sister. Fair play to them for promoting Mercyful Fate, and I've no idea who Mary Jane Girls were.

I don't think I've ever heard the W.A.S.P. song either, which is odd as I like Twisted Sister. "Make Love Like a Gentleman" would be a much better sentiment.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 31, 2024, 10:15:58 PMI've never knowingly heard the 1999 UK No.1 hit single Everybody's Free To Wear Sunscreen by Baz Lurhmann.  Obviously, I can't check on YouTube now to see if maybe I have heard it because it will break the spell of never hearing this novelty single for the past quarter of a century. How did something so popular in the mainstream completely pass me by? I was still vaguely listening to the charts back then too (at age 33y). The way the track has been described to me since rings no bells whatsoever. Weird.

Not surprised you haven't heard it. It's not very musical (just a guy talking over a basic drum beat), I imagine after the initial hype (and obligation to play it) music radio wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

And not only have I heard the Wasp song, I've seen them play it live.

famethrowa

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 31, 2024, 06:26:46 PMNever heard Galway Girl by Ed Sheeran. Long may it stay that way.

Nor have I! For various reasons, I'm very familiar with the song by Steve Earle called "Galway Girl", which I quite like, so I assumed Sheeran did a cover and everyone hated it. But no. So I'll juts leave it there.

Icehaven

I haven't heard the Ed Sheeran Galway Girl either and what kind of a dick writes a song with the same title as an already famous song? I mean fine if it's something generic like Baby or You or where you'd expect there to be many songs with the same title but Galway Girl?! "Oh here's my latest single Bohemian Rhapsody. No it's not a cover, whatever do you mean?"

chip

Literally anything by the Beatles, Beach Boys, Prince, the Rolling Stones etc. that isn't one of their absolute biggest, most well-known hits.

And really, most anything by artists who just go by their (stage) name. Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen etc. Like oh so it's a man with an acoustic guitar. I can tell you what it's going to sound like before I've even heard it. 'Oh but the lyrics are poetry!' What are you doing listening to music then? Read a book.

dontpaintyourteeth

Well, why go to a fine restaurant when you can just stick something in the microwave? Why go to the park and fly a kite, when you can just pop a pill?

boki

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on February 01, 2024, 08:43:50 AMWhy go to the park and fly a kite, when you can just pop a pill?
That is actually a very good question.

Icehaven

Quote from: chip on February 01, 2024, 08:41:39 AMAnd really, most anything by artists who just go by their (stage) name. Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen etc. Like oh so it's a man with an acoustic guitar. I can tell you what it's going to sound like before I've even heard it. 'Oh but the lyrics are poetry!' What are you doing listening to music then? Read a book.

When you listen to Frank Zappa you'll shit brix.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: chip on February 01, 2024, 08:41:39 AMLiterally anything by the Beatles, Beach Boys, Prince, the Rolling Stones etc. that isn't one of their absolute biggest, most well-known hits.

And really, most anything by artists who just go by their (stage) name. Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen etc. Like oh so it's a man with an acoustic guitar. I can tell you what it's going to sound like before I've even heard it. 'Oh but the lyrics are poetry!' What are you doing listening to music then? Read a book.
I remember when trolls would try, at least.

dungbeetle kpi

Quote from: chip on February 01, 2024, 08:41:39 AMAnd really, most anything by artists who just go by their (stage) name. Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen etc. Like oh so it's a man with an acoustic guitar. I can tell you what it's going to sound like before I've even heard it. 'Oh but the lyrics are poetry!' What are you doing listening to music then? Read a book.

Yeah man, those people with names. Fuck em. Posers. With their voices. And their words that come from their stupid, name-having faces. Why climb a mountain when you can just eat a Twix?

dungbeetle kpi

I went to see Miles Davis and it was just a man with a trumpet! I left immediately saying "I know exactly what this is going to sound like"

jamiefairlie

Quote from: dungbeetle kpi on February 01, 2024, 05:14:43 PMI went to see Miles Davis and it was just a man with a trumpet! I left immediately saying "I know exactly what this is going to sound like"

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on January 31, 2024, 06:34:00 PMI also don't think I've ever heard a Talking Heads song unless they've a famous one that I might have heard on Radio 2 in the background and not recognized.

And you may ask yourself
Why am I listening to radio 2?
And you may ask yourself
What is this familiar song?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I've never heard anything by The Grateful Dead. They're mentioned all the time in 60's documentaries, but you never seem to hear any of their music, just a still image of Garcia holding a guitar. Probably for the best anyway, because people tell me that they were a load of old piss.

Pauline Walnuts

We d
Quote from: chip on February 01, 2024, 08:41:39 AMAnd really, most anything by artists who just go by their (stage) name. Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen etc.

Leonard Cohen is his real name.

With Norman being his middle name, of course it is.

Head Gardener

The Beatles - Carnival of Light

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on February 01, 2024, 06:12:12 PMI've never heard anything by The Grateful Dead. They're mentioned all the time in 60's documentaries, but you never seem to hear any of their music, just a still image of Garcia holding a guitar. Probably for the best anyway, because people tell me that they were a load of old piss.

I think those people are wrong, but my opinion on this is very much the minority one here, so I'll leave it at that.

jobotic

Grateful Dead aren't really my bag but they're not a load of old piss.

I've never heard Fuck Like A Beast and I've never hear of that Sunscreen song. Pretty sure I've never heard Ladbaby either but I still hate them. Maybe I'd enjoy them!

famethrowa

Quote from: chip on February 01, 2024, 08:41:39 AMAnd really, most anything by artists who just go by their (stage) name.

I'm the opposite, I'm annoyed by artists with boring real names, imagine trying to crack it while being called Amanda Marshall or James Bennett or similar.