Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:55:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Type O Negative

Started by iamcoop, February 04, 2024, 08:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iamcoop

Been absolutely rinsing these lads recently. October Rust is an absolute masterpiece.

Pros:

- Moody, romantic goth metal, with knowingly gloomy lyrics and some insanely beautiful melodies.

Cons:

Some tiresome edgelord lyrics, one genuinely homophobic song, and despite the claims that he was largely being ironic I think Pete Steele, on balance, was probably a bit of a (admittedly big) dick.

Either way they really scratch a musical itch I occasionally have, and at their best they don't really sound like anyone else. Try listening to Love You To Death on a winters morn.

Any other fans here?

Magnum Valentino

One of my all time favourite bands yeah. More thoughts to follow.

lankyguy95

They're a major gap in my musical knowledge. I should do a discog run soon.

iamcoop

Some of their stuff is so beautiful it could honestly make me cry. I also think they've made some questionable shite as well.

Magnum Valentino

Yeah Pete saying "Farewell" at the end of the last song on what became his last album then dying in screaming laughter has made me cry a few times. It's just perfect for him.

Goldentony

I don't know them well and I sort of dont like how you can hear that mad bastards big breathy voice really close in all the songs like he's in your gaff with you but I was watching old wrestling the other week and there was a montage of shit happening to Christian Woman and I loved it

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Was big into World Coming Down when it came out. Some gloriously miserable songs on that one.

Swoz_MK

I don't think they had a single song that bettered Gravity from that Origin of the Feces fake live album, although Dead Again is my favourite album of theirs top to bottom, I think its by far their best work. As mentioned, they could be quite beautiful at times, the final minute of Wolf Moon a real highlight.

As for Pete's lyrics, he has form if you go back as far as Carnivore and the stuff he wrote for Agnostic Front. They tried to address it on We Hate Everyone but that just came of as "AHA! Look in the mirror JOURNOS! Maybe YOU'RE the racists, eh?!" while just 4 tracks earlier is Kill All The White People with its dodgy accents and cries of "UNGAWA". As for Der Untermensch, well.

wrec

Great band and I like how they delivered both provocative / deadpan humour and genuine deep depressive misery. I seem to remember some of the press being  appalled by them in the early days which doesn't make much sense.

Here's a great piece about Steele by his cousin James Jackson Toth https://www.talkhouse.com/my-cousin-the-rock-star/

Indomitable Spirit

I love them so much. October Rust is maybe my favourite album of there's and feel it's where they really hit the perfect equilibrium of doomy metal and gloomy pop.

Love You To Death, Green Man, Wolf Moon, My Girlfriend's Girlfriend are all fantastic. Though my fave track is definitely In Praise of Bacchus - a song I once listened to on repeat for the entirety of a two and half hour flight from Manchester to Krakow. The grandiosity and ambition of their music, whilst also being a bit daft and funny and also somehow deeply moving makes them a very singular band in metal music.

Love the live set they did for German music channel Viva Zwei, Bacchus and Love You to Death being the stand outs. The ending to Love You to Death still gives me shivers every time I watch it.

ASFTSN

I am a fan of this awesome band but man oh man imagine the fucking shit-stirring twattery that Pete Steele would have spouted if he was still around today.

Maybe. Or maybe he'd have kept himself to himself. Can't help feeling he'd be goth metal Morrisey though.

Seriously talented musician and lyricist and just general rock star though. Type O is something unique. It's difficult to figure out how they somehow seemed more genuine and tragic while also being more ironic and tongue-in-cheek than many musicians/artists today.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Goldentony on February 04, 2024, 09:03:20 PMI don't know them well and I sort of dont like how you can hear that mad bastards big breathy voice really close in all the songs like he's in your gaff with you but I was watching old wrestling the other week and there was a montage of shit happening to Christian Woman and I loved it

I get the impression you'd like them a lot, being a big Misfits fan. I'm not sure why it took me so long to click with them when their sense of humour is so blatant but it was only last year that I suddenly realised they were a fucking awesome band. Huge doomy bangers, the best guitar buzz tone ever and the miraculous combo of being both tongue in cheek and genuinely affecting.

dontpaintyourteeth

fuck sake am I gonna have to reassess this band? they were just something my sister liked in the nineties

iamcoop

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on February 05, 2024, 11:23:15 AMfuck sake am I gonna have to reassess this band? they were just something my sister liked in the nineties

Yes.

Icehaven

Absolutely love them, they soundtracked my Uni years and I still listen to them now, so not much to add other than echo the same praise, particularly for October Rust. This is probably my fav of theirs.

Big soft spot for this video as well, particularly when Dan Fogler is Pete at the end.

They're also probably (Black) No.1 on my list of bands I really wish I'd got to see live but never did.

BeardFaceMan

When I first read about this band in the 90s I saw that they were a doomy gloomy band with a sense of humour. I thought they were Irish.

The Mollusk

Love this even more reverby and epic version of Haunted. Original song fucking rules and this just pushes things a bit further. 12 mins of slow crawling goth metal with Pete crooning about how much he loves shagging all night. The huge breakthrough moment where his insane baritone voice just goes IIIIIIIII I HATE THE MORNIIIIING is amazing but always cracks me up laughing as well. Ditto in Be My Druidess where is sings "I'll do anything to make you cum". Bloke was an absolute king.

chutnut

one of the few metal bands I still listen to every now again

Magnum Valentino

Shame about that FUCKING drum machine on World Coming Down and Life is Killing Me. Sounds great on October Rust but a sonic nightmare on those two records. Johnny's a great drummer as evidenced by Dead Again and their live sets too.

Kankurette

He wasn't just a massive penis, he HAD a massive penis. It was truly a magnificent prong.

I mainly remember My Girlfriend's Girlfriend being a Jilly's staple. I Don't Wanna Be Me as well.

iamcoop

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on February 05, 2024, 01:51:59 PMShame about that FUCKING drum machine on World Coming Down and Life is Killing Me. Sounds great on October Rust but a sonic nightmare on those two records. Johnny's a great drummer as evidenced by Dead Again and their live sets too.

Yes, I never understood the logic to using a drum machine when you have a great drummer that does all the tours and promo etc. I always assumed it was his choice or something.

Also props given to creating one of the most disturbing album covers ever. A close up of a splayed anus is incredibly on brand for CaB.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: iamcoop on February 05, 2024, 02:45:14 PMYes, I never understood the logic to using a drum machine when you have a great drummer that does all the tours and promo etc. I always assumed it was his choice or something.

Also props given to creating one of the most disturbing album covers ever. A close up of a splayed anus is incredibly on brand for CaB.

Finally, the thread to share my theory...

I reckon that cover was designed as a rib on Glenn Danzig who's often been compared to Pete over the years. At a glance it is extremely similar to the cover of his second album (Type O cover in spoilers, because it's extremely NSFW).

The grain, the hair, the finger placement. Has to be inspired! It's almost like the Type O cover is 'seconds later'.

Spoiler alert
[close]

jobotic

What does Lucifuge mean?

[Lynn. Idea for band name. Juicy Lucifer. NWOBHM death.]

The Mollusk

Quote from: jobotic on February 05, 2024, 03:01:14 PM[Lynn. Idea for band name. Juicy Lucifer. NWOBHM death.]

Jucifer is already an established band name ICYMI!

iamcoop

Begs the question, is Peter Steele the only rockstar that has an authorised and published photograph of both his splayed anus and erect penis?

Indomitable Spirit

In love with this absolutely crushing live version of World Coming Down. Peter absolutely perfect as always, but Kenny's tone and co-lead vocals may be the star of the show. An immense personal tragedy to have never bothered to see them live when I had the chance.

Kankurette

I'm guessing Marilyn Manson does.

chip

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 05, 2024, 03:07:18 PMJucifer is already an established band name ICYMI!

Jucifer are fucking great. I saw them live once though and it was absolute runny dogshit. Anyway sorry: Type O Negative

iamcoop

Quote from: Indomitable Spirit on February 05, 2024, 03:42:37 PMIn love with this absolutely crushing live version of World Coming Down. Peter absolutely perfect as always, but Kenny's tone and co-lead vocals may be the star of the show. An immense personal tragedy to have never bothered to see them live when I had the chance.

Yeah same. I remember checking them out after I saw Kerrang give Life is killing me a so so review and being stupid and thinking "ah well I probably won't bother giving them a go then."

Indomitable Spirit

Yeah, similar story to me. I actually absolutely loathed them back in the 90s as a teenager based on the couple of videos I'd seen late night on MTV. Didn't really get properly into them til the mid-00s, though the critical consensus at the time was that they were way past their best so I stuck to October Rust, Bloody Kisses and World Coming Down. Had the chance to see them in 2007 in Manchester but sacked it off (probably to see some utterly forgettable dance punk band). HUGE REGRET.