Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:27:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I Am (no longer) Damo Suzuki

Started by studpuppet, February 10, 2024, 02:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Video Game Fan 2000

drums breaking out at the end of Aumgn is very cathartic

i dont get the reputation of either track to be honest, Peking 0 is playful and absurd in a Boredomsy way and as dark/heavy as Aumgn is it explodes into one of the most immediate and head banging parts of the album. i think its a hold over from early internet reviewers going Hmm oh yes its goes but half of its PRETENTIOUS SHITE like they did with every album that wasnt Yankee Hotel Foxtrot or whatever

The Mollusk

To be explicitly clear I am not intimidated by Augmnngmg. I am not scared of a song.

Kankurette

It doesn't make me go into sensory overload but it's not something I can just whack on whenever like Spoon or Come Sta La Luna (my fave Can song).

Video Game Fan 2000

you say that now, but its absolutely capable of dressing like dracula

Dirty Boy

You bloody are scared of it! cacking yourself over a 50 year old song you are.

Video Game Fan 2000

oohh nice flat you have in here, bit of a shame if someone came in and played a load of really fast drum triplets out of time with a keyboard

Dirty Boy

Also Nags, 3/5 for Rock Bottom is really not on ;-

NoSleep

Aumgn is an element used partially in Paperhouse. They even start identically. They should have made one of those double grooved LPs with them both, so you never know which one you'll get to hear each time.

NoSleep

Quote from: Dirty Boy on February 16, 2024, 06:49:09 PMAlso Nags, 3/5 for Rock Bottom is really not on ;-

Where did THIS happen? That album is 10/5 defo.

I want it! I want it! Give it to me!

Kankurette

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on February 16, 2024, 06:48:41 PMoohh nice flat you have in here, bit of a shame if someone came in and played a load of really fast drum triplets out of time with a keyboard
You wake up to find some German nerds and their weird Japanese mate playing chess at you.

NoSleep

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 16, 2024, 06:43:40 PMTo be explicitly clear I am not intimidated by Augmnngmg. I am not scared of a song.

The cure for this is Heresie by Univers Zero. Both disturbing and nagging.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Dirty Boy on February 16, 2024, 06:49:09 PMAlso Nags, 3/5 for Rock Bottom is really not on ;-

it was to scarey for me

In all honesty I do like that album - especially since it avoids the contemporary prog temptation to leap into a bombastic freakout and instead stays floating down the same queasy bad dream river for the duration - but there are parts I feel are a bit too overtly kooky, and on the whole it's just not the sort of atmosphere I typically like to inhabit for a whole album's length. This is my first dip into Wyatt btw although that rating was my opinion after three listens. My mind might change once I listen to more of his stuff and get a greater understanding of his approach.

If anyone's wondering why this has come up, DB follows me on Rate Your Music and I put that rating up this week.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 16, 2024, 08:31:38 PMit was to scarey for me

In all honesty I do like that album - especially since it avoids the contemporary prog temptation to leap into a bombastic freakout and instead stays floating down the same queasy bad dream river for the duration - but there are parts I feel are a bit too overtly kooky, and on the whole it's just not the sort of atmosphere I typically like to inhabit for a whole album's length. This is my first dip into Wyatt btw although that rating was my opinion after three listens. My mind might change once I listen to more of his stuff and get a greater understanding of his approach.

If anyone's wondering why this has come up, DB follows me on Rate Your Music and I put that rating up this week.

drop the @ (not that I really understand rym)

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: NoSleep on February 16, 2024, 07:04:26 PMThe cure for this is Heresie by Univers Zero. Both disturbing and nagging.

fuck me this is a good one, cant believe ive never heard it. its like that one creepy part of the Comus album cranked up to 11 and sustained for half an hour

fuzzyste

As my avatar suggest Tago Mago is just THAT album for me. The first 4 tracks are basically engraved into my consciousness ive listened to them that much.

Cant basically say anything more thats already been said but his voice will live forever in my ears until I finally kick it.

Dirty Boy

Quote from: The MolluskIn all honesty I do like that album - especially since it avoids the contemporary prog temptation to leap into a bombastic freakout and instead stays floating down the same queasy bad dream river for the duration - but there are parts I feel are a bit too overtly kooky, and on the whole it's just not the sort of atmosphere I typically like to inhabit for a whole album's length. This is my first dip into Wyatt btw although that rating was my opinion after three listens. My mind might change once I listen to more of his stuff and get a greater understanding of his approach.

All fair points, although I disagree about the kooky thing. Might I point you towards Shleep next? Lovely album that.

The Mollusk

Yep it's on the list along with the rest of the Gorky's albums!

NoSleep

Quote from: Dirty Boy on February 16, 2024, 10:00:45 PMAll fair points, although I disagree about the kooky thing. Might I point you towards Shleep next? Lovely album that.

Or Old Rottenhat.

The first time I heard Rock Bottom around the time of its release I immediately knew it was one of the greatest albums I'd ever heard and I still do. I was already a huge fan of early (i.e. with Wyatt) Soft Machine and the whole Canterbury scene (Gong, Hatfield, Egg, Matching Mole, Kevin Ayers) and Rock Bottom was the quintessential Canterbury album, a pure distillation.